Any persian cat studs in California?

persiancatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm looking to find a beautiful persian cat stud in California. Everyone has been telling me that my persian is so beautiful she should have kittens. Pasha is white with beautiful copper eyes. She has a wonderful personality so shes bound to be a wonderful mother. Now unfortunately my camera isn't working so I can't show off my baby lol. Maybe in a few days i'll get a new camera. Pasha is almost two years old. Shes not in heat yet but when she is I want to call a stud in asap. So if you have any information about a stud in California please post it. Thanks

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she registered, health certified and everything else?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most pedigree stud owners do not accept outside queens unless they know the person well, the queen has been shown (preferably grand champion material), and all shots, health, etc. are up to date.

They don't want to bred their boys just to produce more kittens. You might think you have the most beautiful persian (and you might) but that is NOT the reason to breed her. Do you have a pedigree? Has your cat been shown and proven she is an excellant example of the breed? You should only be breeding IF your cat is worthy of passing on ideal characteristics - not just cause she's "pretty".

Too many pretty persians are sitting in the shelters and rescue groups. If you really love your cat and want to keep her healthy and pretty - please spay her. Many persians have to have c-sections when giving birth. And she might have complications - you could lose her or the kittens.

If you do breed her, will you require the new owners to spay or neuter the kittens? Or will you spay/neuter them first and place them? Are you willing to take back any kittens if the owners cannot keep them? Are you willing to give some of the kitten shots? Are you willing to keep your kittens till they are 12 weeks old? Kittens should not be leaving their siblings and mom till they are 10-12 weeks old (minimum).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persiancatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Is she registered, health certified and everything else?
Yep, All of that. She has papers but I can't find them at the moment. I paid $500 from a breeder as well. Shes got all the shots in the book. Shes a indoor spoiled brat lol

persiancatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Most pedigree stud owners do not accept outside queens unless they know the person well, the queen has been shown (preferably grand champion material), and all shots, health, etc. are up to date.

They don't want to bred their boys just to produce more kittens. You might think you have the most beautiful persian (and you might) but that is NOT the reason to breed her. Do you have a pedigree? Has your cat been shown and proven she is an excellant example of the breed? You should only be breeding IF your cat is worthy of passing on ideal characteristics - not just cause she's "pretty".

Too many pretty persians are sitting in the shelters and rescue groups. If you really love your cat and want to keep her healthy and pretty - please spay her. Many persians have to have c-sections when giving birth. And she might have complications - you could lose her or the kittens.

If you do breed her, will you require the new owners to spay or neuter the kittens? Or will you spay/neuter them first and place them? Are you willing to take back any kittens if the owners cannot keep them? Are you willing to give some of the kitten shots? Are you willing to keep your kittens till they are 12 weeks old? Kittens should not be leaving their siblings and mom till they are 10-12 weeks old (minimum).
Shes not a show cat. Shes got all the shots and is extremly healthy. Shes a indoor cat so shes safe from all those horrible cat diseases. I just want to one time breed to see how her kittens turn out. I have a few friends that would gladly take a kitten so i'm not out to make a profit on my little baby. In my opinion she seems like the perfect candidate to be a mother. Its kinda sad but sometimes she will carry around a sock or a small piece of clothing and act like its her baby. I think motherhood would make her sweeter. I am going to make sure the kittens have wonderful homes. I might even keep one myself. I will take Pasha to weekly trips to the vet to ensure her and the kittens safety. I will give the future owners the option of fixing their kittens but the people I know will most likely fix them. I would always take the kittens back for whatever reason if their new owners couldn't keep them. But like I said the kittens would be given to people I know so I could even visit them. I will offer the first set of shots and then the future owners would have to take care of the rest themselves. Of course I wouldn't let them leave the mother till 12 weeks. The longer I keep them the more I can enjoy the kittens

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds lovely, but the best person to help you decide whether she's breeding quality would be the breeder you bought her from. Did you buy her as a breeding queen or as pet quality? Do you have breeding rights for her? If she is suitable to be bred from, the breeder should be able to help and advise you, including helping you find a suitable stud. If she's not suitable then the best thing really would be to have her spayed. If you want to get involved in breeding you need to make sure you tell breeders at the outset that you are looking to purchase a breeding queen. Most pedigree cats that are sold are sold are pet quality and are sold with a contract that requires the owner to neuter/spay the cat and not use it in a breeding programme.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Before you start planning breeding her, have her DNA tested for PKD. If she's PKD positive the issue is done, no breeding on her. If she tests negative you should call her breeder for helt. Her breeder might even have a suitable male for her in her cattery.

You should definately work with an experienced breeder.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sol

Before you start planning breeding her, have her DNA tested for PKD. If she's PKD positive the issue is done, no breeding on her. If she tests negative you should call her breeder for helt. Her breeder might even have a suitable male for her in her cattery.

You should definately work with an experienced breeder.
This stuff mentioned here as well as when I asked if she was properly health certified, I didn't mean did the vet decide she was healthy at her last check up. I mean did you have all of the really important certifications done, health screenings for PKD, DNA tests, extensive blood work to make sure she isn't a carrier of anything that would show up later in her kittens life.

For example, you give your friend one of her kittens and a few years down the line the cat ends up with something that was heriditary. The vet your friend takes the cat to says something like "well obviously didn't have her queen health certified, otherwise this would have been prevented and this litter would have never been born." Then your friend comes to you upset that you bred a cat who was carrying an illness and now she owns a ton of money to the vet to save her cat's life.

This is an extreme example, but you really have to have this all done. This is expensive to do and is the reason why breeders do not make profit off their cats. At least have her tested for PKD.

persiancatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow I did not know all these things I need to do in order to simply breed my Pasha so I could see what her kittens would turn out. I think i'm better off purchasing Pasha a friend from a breeder or maybe even the pound. Thanks everyone for their useful opinions.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey glad you understand. Yes there is a LOT to think about when breeding and a TON of money goes into it. It takes a long time to determine if your cat is properly tested and should even be bred. It is very hard to resist though when you are just curious what her babies would look like, isn't it? But it really isn't a good idea to do it. Tell your friends they can rescue a kitten who has no home from a Persian cat rescue instead.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by persiancatlover

Yep, All of that. She has papers but I can't find them at the moment. I paid $500 from a breeder as well. Shes got all the shots in the book. Shes a indoor spoiled brat lol
Do you have a contract from the breeding giving you breeding rights? Generally $500 is a pet price, and to have breeding rights the breeder (if it isn't a backyard breeder) would require the new owner to be an established breeder or know the person to know they will be a good breeder. In the past I had a contract requireing proof of altering before the new owner can have the papers, I don't now, I just give the papers with the kitten, and that is because I do altering at 2 lbs. No kitten leaves without shots and being fixed. If you have the right to breed her and she is papered and healthy and good quality... ect, and you are going to breed her, I hope you do lots of research on breeding and delivering. I believe that this breed some times have difficulties with delivering due to health issues, or some thing. They can on occation have to have c-sections. You sound like you love your cat, and I don't want to dicourage new breeders, if they are in it for the love of the breed, and will be a good breeder, ect, there is a need for good respectable breeders and not BYB so please consider all the facts pros and cons, and be aware and prepared for any thing that can come up, breeding can be very expensive if problems come up, it can also be very heart breaking when you loose the kittens and/or the mom too. So please learn all the facts and consider every thing before you do breed her. It's a hard lesson to learn at the vets when he comes out to tell you mom and babies have passed away and he did all he could do. Don't get me wrong, it can be very rewarding and I wouldn't stop raising my cats, but I have gotten show quality cats from respectable breeders with breeding rights. I had also researched my breed and acual breeding for 2 years before I even allowed my cat to breed. Please take this as serious as it is.

Edit: I replied without reading the rest of the posts. I am glad you will be giving this more thought! It goes to show what kind of a person you are! It seems that you really love your cat and will be considerate of her health.

persiancatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Hey glad you understand. Yes there is a LOT to think about when breeding and a TON of money goes into it. It takes a long time to determine if your cat is properly tested and should even be bred. It is very hard to resist though when you are just curious what her babies would look like, isn't it? But it really isn't a good idea to do it. Tell your friends they can rescue a kitten who has no home from a Persian cat rescue instead.
There so many risks I didn't know about breeding. I totally have respect for all breeders. I still wonder what it would be like for Pasha to have kittens though. But it seems like theres too much work and risks for my baby. There are so many cats at the pound its sad. Truth be told though i'll probably go to a breeder since there aren't too many persians at the pound.

persiancatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

Do you have a contract from the breeding giving you breeding rights? Generally $500 is a pet price, and to have breeding rights the breeder (if it isn't a backyard breeder) would require the new owner to be an established breeder or know the person to know they will be a good breeder. In the past I had a contract requireing proof of altering before the new owner can have the papers, I don't now, I just give the papers with the kitten, and that is because I do altering at 2 lbs. No kitten leaves without shots and being fixed. If you have the right to breed her and she is papered and healthy and good quality... ect, and you are going to breed her, I hope you do lots of research on breeding and delivering. I believe that this breed some times have difficulties with delivering due to health issues, or some thing. They can on occation have to have c-sections. You sound like you love your cat, and I don't want to dicourage new breeders, if they are in it for the love of the breed, and will be a good breeder, ect, there is a need for good respectable breeders and not BYB so please consider all the facts pros and cons, and be aware and prepared for any thing that can come up, breeding can be very expensive if problems come up, it can also be very heart breaking when you loose the kittens and/or the mom too. So please learn all the facts and consider every thing before you do breed her. It's a hard lesson to learn at the vets when he comes out to tell you mom and babies have passed away and he did all he could do. Don't get me wrong, it can be very rewarding and I wouldn't stop raising my cats, but I have gotten show quality cats from respectable breeders with breeding rights. I had also researched my breed and acual breeding for 2 years before I even allowed my cat to breed. Please take this as serious as it is.

Edit: I replied without reading the rest of the posts. I am glad you will be giving this more thought! It goes to show what kind of a person you are! It seems that you really love your cat and will be considerate of her health.
No I don't believe I have breeding rights since I purchased Pasha at 11 weeks so I never dreamed of breeding my baby. I think i'll probably puchase another persian from a breeder since I don't want to take the risk of losing Pasha. I would be a total mess if I ever lost her. Thanks for your kind words btw. I am really glad I discovered this site before I did anything. Everyones opinions have been really valued and useful.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me give you my side (since I was on both sides as owner and breeder).

I had a wonderful ODD-EYE black and white cat I rescued from the streets. She was very striking (won MANY awards in her show career in the household pet classes - first show took BEST HHP in almost every ring and she was barely 8 months old!).

When I first got her, I thought it would be cool to breed her - after all, she was very striking in eye color and coat pattern. BUT because I didn't believe in breeding just to breed, she was spayed. I too, wondered what kind of kittens she would have.

Fast forward to breeder side. I got into showing and breeding cornish rex. HOWEVER, when you begin, most breeders will sell you a show alter - so you learn the breed very well. I would NEVER sell to first time owners a cat that could be bred, but was willing to let them have a show alter to get used to things. Even as I was showing my alter (it was 2-3 yrs before I got a breeding rex); I read every book on breeding cats (in general) and researching the rex breed inside and out.

I believe in breeding ONLY cats that are show quality and worthy of contributing positive things to the breed - there really are few cats that earn that right (with a good breeder). In order to know if the cat was good, you have to (1) know the breed standards inside and out (2) show your breed (hopefully to GRAND status) (3) talk to many breeders about the ins/outs of breeding. Not only your breed, but other breeders have good knowledge in breeding/raising kittens.

And before I even bred my queens, I had a waiting list of those wanting a kitten - not just a "maybe". Many times I had 8-10 people lined up and the litter might only be 4-5 kittens - so I'd contact each person and figure out who wanted what.

Because I carefully read pedigrees, I'm proud to say most of my kittens were worthy of being "show quality" - but the majority went to be loved pets. Out of 5 litters, there was only 2-3 breeding cats - and they went to established breeders - not to 1st time breeders. Good breeders care about who has their cats, how their cats are bred, and if they sell breeding cats - they want to know that person will uphold high standards too. After all THEIR cattery is also on the line - their hard work shows and they don't want it ruined by people that breed to anything.

SO if you really want to IMPROVE the persian breed, do it the right way - and it will take years of research/showing, etc. to do it the right way.

Your Pasha will be much happier as a spay. And if you are serious, then show her in the HHP classes a few times and get to know persian breeders and their cats.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by persiancatlover

There so many risks I didn't know about breeding. I totally have respect for all breeders. I still wonder what it would be like for Pasha to have kittens though. But it seems like theres too much work and risks for my baby. There are so many cats at the pound its sad. Truth be told though i'll probably go to a breeder since there aren't too many persians at the pound.
Hi there!

It may vary place to place, but I have actually seen a lot of Persians in shelters and humane societies. All of my familyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Persians were actually all adopted from local shelters.
The purebred cat rescue our HS worked with are always packed with cats (especially Persians and Himalayans- they already placed over 430 this year!) and had a long waiting list of cats coming in, so if you were interested in adoption it would probably be worth checking purebred cat or Persian rescues in your state or doing a search on Petfinder.org for individual Persians in shelters.

I did a quick search on Petfinder for Persian Rescues in California to give you an idea of what is out there and here are just 2 that popped up incase you decided you were interested:
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/CA1063.html
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/CA827.html

Wherever you choose to find your new companion, I wish you the best of luck!

persiancatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yorda

Hi there!

It may vary place to place, but I have actually seen a lot of Persians in shelters and humane societies. All of my familyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Persians were actually all adopted from local shelters.
The purebred cat rescue our HS worked with are always packed with cats (especially Persians and Himalayans- they already placed over 430 this year!) and had a long waiting list of cats coming in, so if you were interested in adoption it would probably be worth checking purebred cat or Persian rescues in your state or doing a search on Petfinder.org for individual Persians in shelters.

I did a quick search on Petfinder for Persian Rescues in California to give you an idea of what is out there and here are just 2 that popped up incase you decided you were interested:
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/CA1063.html
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/CA827.html

Wherever you choose to find your new companion, I wish you the best of luck!
I guess I will give more thought to persians in my local shelters. Thanks

xerr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey there

I just read all your posts. Me too have 2 beautiful persians, and me too was thinking to breed them a while ago. I posted here and peoploe gave me 100 reasons not to breed them, as there are not qualified to. I had them from backyard breeders and are not not eligibale for breeding, me too wanted some kittens from them to see whay they look like, but was I ready to risk my baby's life just for my pleasures? of course not, she's like a daughter to me and would never risk her life for my selfishness. In the future i'm willing to get a bigger house, god knows when but it will happen sometime
and will get 2 siamese or sphynx or maybe aother 2 persians but with breeding papers and everything in order to breed. this will take years :p in the meantime i'm reading as much as i can on this field. take care of your precious gift from life . Hugs x x x

xerr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ps.

spay here, she will be happeir, you don't want her in heat and running off whenever chance she has and getting pregnant with a street guy

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xerr

Hey there

I just read all your posts. Me too have 2 beautiful persians, and me too was thinking to breed them a while ago. I posted here and peoploe gave me 100 reasons not to breed them, as there are not qualified to. I had them from backyard breeders and are not not eligibale for breeding, me too wanted some kittens from them to see whay they look like, but was I ready to risk my baby's life just for my pleasures? of course not, she's like a daughter to me and would never risk her life for my selfishness. In the future i'm willing to get a bigger house, god knows when but it will happen sometime
and will get 2 siamese or sphynx or maybe aother 2 persians but with breeding papers and everything in order to breed. this will take years :p in the meantime i'm reading as much as i can on this field. take care of your precious gift from life . Hugs x x x
I am happy to see that you and OP has decided to take the advice of some of the people on this board. Some of these breeders are SO knowldgeable! So many people come here with the same idea, they love their pet and want to see what the kittens will look like, and we (well not so much me, mostly the really smart ones, LOL! I hope I am as knowldgeable as some of these breeders some day
) give them the real facts to breeding, it's so much more then taking two purebreds and "letting 'em go at it" and so many get offended and do it any way, and wonder what right some of these breeders have to tell them they can't breed their cats, and their going to do it any way. It's not like any one here is telling any one they can't just giving them the true facts to being a respectable breeder, other wise, many of them would be no more then the BYB in local papers (not that it may be their intentions, of coarse) but, when they buy a kitten from a breeder, it may be purebred, but in most cases, it was sold as a pet, and there for, was not meant to be breed. other then doing lots and lots of research, one of the first thing needing to be done is find a breeder willing to mentor them, and sell them breed quality kittens, and go from there. They can help a new breeder with every thing, from getting good quality kittens, tests that need to be done for that particular breed, to helping them screening potential adopters, and doing contracts on kittens (my mentor helped me through all of that, and helped me find a vet in my area willing to preform early alters, so all my kittens are already fixed before they go to a new home) I raise cats, and have no business telling any one they can't but, I spent years researching and getting registered cats, as well as a registered cattery (TICA), and feel they should have some of the basics of breeding, not just the cute kittens that they want to have. Good luck to both of you, and any one else who thought "breeding one litter might be fun" I hope you really do fix the kitties you have, and some day if you decide to breed, you have some of the facts to do things the right way, you are already WAY ahead of the BYB in your area. Thanks for listening, you will make your kitties very happy!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xerr

Hey there

You are a wonderful person for doing what you now know is right
I am so happy to read this post. I wish everyone else in the world would listen and think about it too
I think we made a positive impact on the OP too, she seems to understand that we aren't just crazy anti-breeding cat people
Just have to do it the right way.