Any other breed, or 'just' little tabbies?

kittendad10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!

We've recently adopted two rescue kittens, we've seen photos of their mum but not sure who the dad is.

A few friends have tabbies and have suggested ours have very long legs/paws, longer noses and big ears than a tabby. I was looking at Egyptian Mau's and I thought I could see some resemblance but they seem quite rare/unlikely.

Any thoughts? :)

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
They seem to be black-based (brown) broken mackerel tabby domestic shorthair kittens — the pattern should become more distinct as they grow and lose the last of their kitten fuzzies :) They’re still quite young (around 4 months, at a guess), so it’s more than likely they’ll grow into their features. They’re broken tabby, rather than spotted, so considering that, as well the rarity of the Egyptian Mau, and the fact that the vast majority of cats don’t have a breed, or any breed ancestry, I doubt they have relation, personally. They’re gorgeous kittens, regardless, and lack of breed ancestry doesn’t make them any less special.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittendad10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Maurey - perhaps going to be quite big tom cats! You guessed right on age - 15 weeks old today.

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

We've recently adopted two rescue kittens, we've seen photos of their mum but not sure who the dad is.

A few friends have tabbies and have suggested ours have very long legs/paws, longer noses and big ears than a tabby. I was looking at Egyptian Mau's and I thought I could see some resemblance but they seem quite rare/unlikely.

Any thoughts? :)
Check out Savannah cats : )

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they do! Can you take a pic of them from the front with their ears back like airplanes? The markings make their ears look super cool that way. As far as the size, you probably don't have to worry lol. Usually, most time only early generation Savannahs called F1 & F2 get super tall and not even always then. But you never know, LOL!

You said you know what the mother looked like. What kind of cat is the mom?

What about their fur? Is it shiny silky or dull, cotton soft?

Other characteristics are hooded eyes aka boomerang eyes, large rounded ears, black lips, puffy wide long nose, panting like a dog, cheetah dip in back, tear streaks similar to cheetahs...

I know how you might be freaked out at first as I was too! I never heard of a Savannah before adopting a rescue...it was his unusual eyes, face, head shape that led to me to discovering Savannah cats. Mine is a marble coat which is not TICA standard but marble coats are highly desired. The TICA standard only accepts the spotted coat like the Serval cat from which Savannahs were hybridized.

They are super cool, loving, intelligent and amazing!

kittendad10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they do! Can you take a pic of them from the front with their ears back like airplanes? The markings make their ears look super cool that way. As far as the size, you probably don't have to worry lol. Usually, most time only early generation Savannahs called F1 & F2 get super tall and not even always then. But you never know, LOL!

Other characteristics are hooded eyes aka boomerang eyes, large rounded ears, black lips, puffy wide long nose, panting like a dog, cheetah dip in back, tear streaks similar to cheetahs...

I know how you might be freaked out at first as I was too! I never heard of a Savannah before adopting a rescue...it was his unusual eyes, face, head shape that led to me to discovering Savannah cats. Mine is a marble coat which is not TICA standard but marble coats are highly desired. The TICA standard only accepts the spotted coat like the Serval cat from which Savannahs were hybridized.

Super interesting! Thanks for the info. Attaching the pics of the mum that I have - she was marble too it seems, a few of the litter were too.

they have black lips but not sure of the others, seem to have quite pointed ears?

They definitely have silky fur, noticed this particularly recently - what does that suggest?

Attachments

kittendad10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure how I managed to also upload a picture of my friends cat and some shampoo. Ignore the cat sat on the scratching mat!
Also noticed they’ve got quite prominent tear duct lines.

kittendad10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I’ve just looked at your photo - the cat on the rights profile is so similar to Obi (one of ours) they look very similar but with different coat patterns!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tabby is the cats marking - it isn't a breed. I do think they have a slight Asian cat style especially the eye shape, so maybe somewhere in their background there is Siamese or similar breed. Regardless they would be considered domestic short hair broken mackerel patten tabbies

Most kittens are pretty lanky at that age and their ears look out of scale. They will grow into them.

Very good looking kittens, their markings are quite distinct!

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure how I managed to also upload a picture of my friends cat and some shampoo. Ignore the cat sat on the scratching mat!
Also noticed they’ve got quite prominent tear duct lines.
Haha! I was so confused lol! I might have to check out that shampoo!

Yes! In my profile pic, the one on the right is a marble coat Savannah. The fur of Savannahs is cottony soft, not silky soft. When my two are in light, Athena’s coat is glossy, shiny while Prince Jasper’s coat doesn’t shine like that. If yours have shiny coats, that could befrom the mom.

Savannahs are a hybrid of Serval mixed with Oriental Shorthair or Siamese so that’s why you may see some of those traits.

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of yours appears to have more Siamese eye shape (could be angle in that photo tho) while the other appears to have hooded eyes which are unique to Savannahs. There are Savannahs that have more of the Siamese eye shape due to it being part of the bloodline.

You are lucky to have two from same litter as they will match in terms of energy. Fortunately, Athena Mariposa is also lightning fast, highly energetic and loves Prince Jasper a ton! I also really like that she is a Calico marble so they both are similar with their marble coats. I really like to think they share the same father some kind of way lol.

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and the tear marks...I noticed that some have more prominent ones han others. Also, the streaks elongate as the kitten grows so it's hard to tell how defined they will be until they get closer to adult.

Check out the grouops Savannah Cat Rescue and Savanna Cat Enthusiasts on Facebook. :)