Any options for a cat that doesn't tolerate cold food?

theresag556

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi folks.  I have 2 cats.  One loves raw and is doing great on it.  I've been buying Nature's Variety for about a year now and he's lost weight and is more energetic.  His stools are great and he never throws up or gets sick.  I would love to put my other cat on raw too but she seems to have an intolerance to cold food.  She throws up occasionally but I find for the most part she's fine unless she eats food that has been refrigerated and served cold--then she vomits it up shortly after.  One of the reasons I would love to get her on raw is for dental health as well.  She ate a little bit of leftover raw once and proceeded to throw up all over my carpet.  Picking bone particles out of my carpet along with vomit = not fun.  For a cat with this intolerance, is raw even possible since it's RAW and needs to stay cold as raw meat does?  I've been feeding her grain-free dry food because she likes it but lately she's really had an interest in the raw food I feed her brother.  I decided to get her some cans of grain-free wet food and she's been devouring it.  She used to turn her nose up at wet food before so I don't know what's going on with her appetite.  If raw is not an option, are there any ideas to keep her dental health in check besides brushing her teeth which she would never let me do?  Thanks in advance for any advice or tips you might have.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can put it in a plastic baggie or small glass bowl with a cover and run warm (not hot) water over it until it's warm enough. There's no reason it needs to stay cold right up until being eaten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theresag556

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good idea.  I'll try it.  I've been able to feed my other cat raw right out of the refrigerator with no problems.  Any other ideas as well for dental health other than raw medallions?

Last edited by a moderator:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good for you for considering raw.

I do as Willowy does--warm up the food in a plastic bag.  Gizzards are great for cleaning teeth.

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of mine is not really tolerating the frozen raw too well anymore, so I'm thinking of trying freeze-dried Stella and Chewy's for him. That might work for you, cause I would think you could reconstitute it with warm water. Or, as I understand it, some kitties prefer it dry (although the lack of moisture is not really the best thing).

nljnky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think vomiting from food that is cold is common. I put the raw into a zip lock Baggie and hold it under warm water until the chill is out of it then serve. Seems to do the trick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theresag556

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll have to try and warm up the raw medallions that way.  I tried the freeze dried raw once but she wouldn't eat it.  She doesn't like watery food.  If I add a little extra water to her wet food, she won't eat it.  Can the chicken gizzards be served room temperature too by just running it under lukewarm water?

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I package my portions in the small snack containers from Glad or Rubbermaid, then stick them up in the freezer.  My guys don't like it cold from the refrigerator, so I just sit them in a tray with warm water for a few minutes before serving.  If they are still cold, I add a little hot water and stir it in.  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Doing 4-5 seconds micro is also warming up, but not doing the meat. Look out, at 10 seconds some bits are visibly halfdone, and the meat is too hot for a hungry cat who dont want to wait.

Unless you do have something especial against microvawes.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doing 4-5 seconds micro is also warming up, but not doing the meat. Look out, at 10 seconds some bits are visibly halfdone, and the meat is too hot for a hungry cat who dont want to wait.

Unless you do have something especial against microvawes.
Put the food in a container or a baggie before putting it in warm water or you will dilute the nutrients in the food. Never microwave the food, not even for a few seconds, as the very nature of that heating process destroys nutrients.

AC