Any opinions on the Catit Fresh and Clear water fountain?

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with the Catit Fresh and Clear water fountain? I picked one up today at PetSmart because it on sale for $20.99 and included a 3 pack of filter replacements. In my opinion, that price couldn't be beat! I have been looking to purchase another fountain, but, with my being out of work, I haven't wanted to spend a fortune -- especially since I already have a Drinkwell Platinum fountain for my cats and a Petmate Fresh Flow pet fountain that both the dogs and cats drink from. And, that's not to mention that I always have dishes of fresh water out for the animals as well.

I love the other fountains we have, but I've not heard much about the Catit Fresh and Clear. I read the reviews on Amazon and most are positive, but there's nothing better than hearing it first-hand from TCS-ers who've tried it. So, if you have it or who have had it, please speak up! I won't be setting it up until tomorrow and am going to give it a go regardless, but I guess I'd like to see what I'm getting myself into.

All opinions are most appreciated -- good or bad

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 3 of the fresh & clears (along with cat-it dome, petmate deluxe and drinkwell platinum
)

Works just fine, easy to clean and maintain. My cats drink from all the different fountains, they are not fussy.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a CatIt Fresh & Clear because I thought my elderly cat would like it (because it's tall). And he did.
However, it's in the cabinet because our youngest figured out that she can stick her paw in the middle and spray water all over a room.
Like a garden hose.
She's pretty obsessed with playing in water.

We are just using the Drinkwell Original at this time.

Once we put in some more electrical outlets in our basement, we have a spot by the drain we will set up the CatIt again. It won't matter if she sprays water all over concrete.

tamarae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

because our youngest figured out that she can stick her paw in the middle and spray water all over a room
I had to laugh... this is something I can see my mom's cat doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd post my experience with the Catit Fresh and Clear here now since I've now had the chance to assemble it and make it available to my kitties.

First off, the assembly was extremely easy. I'm not good at assembling anything and even when reading directions, I struggle. But, the manual was very simple and I had the fountain put together and running in a matter of minutes. Right off the bat, for me, that was a plus.

The positives of the fountain, in my opinion, are that the fountain is up off of the ground which cuts down on debris being caught in the filter and also that the motor is very quiet and unobtrusive. There is a floating marker that lets you know where your water level is and the simple design allows for quick and easy cleaning. The filters are also very easy to install and are rather inexpensive. My cats immediately took to the fountain and have been drinking from it almost exclusively over the last couple of days. The only drawback, however, is that since the fountain doesn't have a reservoir, there would be no water available from the fountain in the event of a power outage. That's not an issue for me since I do have and use both other fountains and water dishes, but if it was a cat's only source of water, I'd be concerned.

So far, I'm quite impressed. For the cost, I think it's an excellent fountain. I love the Drinkwell Platinum and would recommend it to anyone, but for someone just starting out with a fountain or who doesn't have a lot of money, the Catit Fresh and Clear would be an excellent option.

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never tried the catit fountains, but we recently bought the Drinkwell 360. It is absolutely HUGE! Really, the bottom bowl looks like something a great dane would drink from!

It's very quiet, but I do have to clean it out every few days (being plastic, it gets slightly slimy, and I'm a freak about that stuff!), and I also scrub out the filter once weekly. The boys LOVE it! They hardly drink from their regular water bowls now, and are always playing in it. I love watching them drink from the little spouts, very cute!

I'll have to try a Catit one, now that I see good reviews on here, they look alot smaller, and space-friendly. Any ways to encourage water drinking is a bonus!