Any old timers lurking? Newbies welcomed to read as well- :)

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of you may not know me or know of me. I am one of the oldies here and I don't post much any more. Life has pulled me in other directions, but I am still strongly in love with and caring for multiple strays and ferals. I socialize them and try to find them homes but the pool is quickly drying up as people (in my community anyway) are losing their homes and having to leave their possessions behind when they move out. Unfortunately, all to often, those possessions are their cats. And that is where I step in. I have privately rescued now over thirty years. The old members here know all about me-some may know too much about me! LOL

The reason I am posting now is recently, I applied for a Pepsi Refresh Grant to help the stray cats in our area. Here's where it gets strange. The first time I applied, they disqualified me for "not following application guidelines correctly." I called them to see if there was a 24 hour window I could use to "fix" the problem, have them re-evaluate me. They told me no, can't do that. But you can resubmit next time. I asked them if they have a committee that just reads these entries and decides which have the most merit? Nope, the gal replied, we just draw you out of a hat. "And by the way, she added, "This is our LAST contest!"

OK so for them to pull my name out of a hat once, is nothing short of a miracle considering all the applicants out there trying for these grants. But TWICE? Isn't gonna happen. But a good friend kept telling me to go for it- so after a lot of prayer- I did- and guess what? The pulled my name out twice!! 

This time, the second email from PepsiRefresh read CONGRATULATIONS you are IN!

It's an online voting contest. It takes place through the entire month of December of this year. That's this month for those of you with brain fatigue! The only way this project is going to get done is for me to stay in the top ten of the group- and there is a lot of competition. My plan is to cat-proof fence our back acreage- build a heated pole barn for the cats, construct a separate quarantine area for incoming cats and open the doors to older strays and ferals. Work with them, socialize them, keep them available for adoption and stay open 24 hours a day. My sign will say- "We Never Close, but we DO sleep!"

I have done all the work with the cats over the years with monies out of my own pocket.  To have a chance to really make an impact in a community where most could care less about cats and have the funds to do so- just boggles my mind!

I know it is the holiday season and everyone is with family or planning to be. I have to tell you these cats are my family. THEY need this place and YOU can help.

You are allowed to vote three times a day- you can vote at the website here:

www.refresheverything.com/caringaboutthestrays   You have to register to vote, but it is a quick process.  You can vote via FB  You can text 110725 to 73774  again you can vote every day- three times a day!

My Christmas wish is that all of you reading this will not only vote, but you will tell your friends, email your contacts, post it to FB or Tweet about it (I don't Tweet- I don't even chirp!) Hire a skywriter and put it in the skies! I don't care how you do it, just PLEASE get the word out and help me make this happen!

On my end, I have contacted all local and national media, The Ellen Show, The Today Show, radio stations, newspapers anyone I can think of that will hopefully take part in letting this happen. I don't want my 15 minutes of fame, I WANT these cats to have a chance to live a life where they don't have to worry about predators both animal and human- they won't get hit by cars, taken by disease they will have a place to grow old and be loved. I will be on the radion Dec 13th talking about this and will post more details about that when I can.

Again bad timing- this is the holidays. I am just asking those of you reading this to please help me help the cats!

Thank you and Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah or whatever applies to all!

Hissy

Last edited:

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've signed up to the website and votedI will vote every day for you,I really hope you get it.Good luck.xx

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm voting three times a day, (via the Refresh everything site registration, FB, and text!), and Gary's voting three times a day. We've contacted our rescue network, other cat lovers in our business world, and I've shared on FB! And we'll be casting our six votes every day, you can be sure!!!!!

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: you win this grant, MA. Those kitties need that shelter!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Voted, shared and will blog about it - let's keep this thread bumped up to remind everyone to vote every day!

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is a wonderful idea and I hope you win!!

But -- could I get a quick how-to from someone on how to vote via FB? I shared it to my wall, but I can't seem to find the vote button. Or mechanism. :lol3:

I texted and voted via the site and will continue to do so until New Year's! :D

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are an amazing woman, Hissy, you are an angel on earth to many, many kitties. I'll never forget the image of the little one in your bra cup, so sweet!
 I'm in the process of registering and will vote every day, at least once! 

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Speakhandsforme, just click on the "vote" button on the link. It will ask you to sign in, and should give you the option to log in via FB on that pop up window. :nod: http://www.refresheverything.com/caringaboutthestrays

That said... if you register, you can vote via logging in to the Pepsi Refresh site, log out, then log in via FB. (And you can also vote by texting from your phone too! All you have to do is type 110725 as the "message" to humber (where the phone number goes) 73774).

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure to vote everyday, not only once..... I vote tree times - login with my facebook account, log out and log in with my Pepsi account, and also text.

Also, after you vote, share and hit like on FB - that ways all your friends see this too.... ask them to vote and share....

This is the instructions I put in my Facebook when I share:

Three ways to vote-
Direct Link voting (Go to the page create an account with Pepsi, and cast your vote - it takes only a few seconds!)
http://www.refresheverything.com/caringaboutthestrays
You can vote three times a day!
Text Messaging
phone # 73774
Body of Message: 110725
Vote via Facebook and Like the Project! (Go to the page, sign in using your Facebook account and cast your vote!)

This is such a wonderful project, and all we need is to spread the word and vote..... no donations needed - a minute of our days can literaly save over a hundred cats! :clap::clap::clap:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys and thanks for "tweeting" I don't own those devices- so that part kind of leaves me in the dark. I am slipping in the ratings, but it is early yet and I am not done with my assault plans! LOL