Any of these essential oils safe for use around cats?

nightowls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would like to do some nosework with the dogs inside the house. Anyone know if any of these oils {Anise, Pine, Wintergreen, Birch, Clove, Cypress, Vetiver, Myrrh} are safe to use around the cats?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Heya! Honestly, I personally wouldn't suggest using any essential oils, especially in their raw form, around cats. Much as some sources will profess that things like lavender oil aren't toxic to cats, they still are, based on both what Juma's vets have told me, and on the available reading material. Maybe some aren't lethal, or as lethal with contact, but that doesn't change the fact that most essential oils can still cause adverse effects with inhalation or accidental ingestion.

Here is a fairly credible and concise resource on the topic. Realistically, essential oils with low phenol content used in a very dilute manner, or in oil form in a different space to your cats may be safe, but I personally wouldn't without consulting a vet beforehand. I'd also recommend consulting with your vet before using any essential oils on your dogs, if you haven't done so yet. I'm not sure about the others, but iirc there are definitely some risks associated with using anise essential oils on dogs.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Heya! Honestly, I personally wouldn't suggest using any essential oils, especially in their raw form, around cats. Much as some sources will profess that things like lavender oil aren't toxic to cats, they still are, based on both what Juma's vets have told me, and on the available reading material. Maybe some aren't lethal, or as lethal with contact, but that doesn't change the fact that most essential oils can still cause adverse effects with inhalation or accidental ingestion.

Here is a fairly credible and concise resource on the topic. Realistically, essential oils with low phenol content used in a very dilute manner, or in oil form in a different space to your cats may be safe, but I personally wouldn't without consulting a vet beforehand. I'd also recommend consulting with your vet before using any essential oils on your dogs, if you haven't done so yet. I'm not sure about the others, but iirc there are definitely some risks associated with using anise essential oils on dogs.
As I'm unable to edit atm, appending a thought -- any reason you can't use treats or a toy with a familiar scent for nosework, instead of essential oils? Should be safer for all the animals involved, imo.