Any less expensive grinders for cooked meat? Or raw boneless meat that would be cooked after? Like t

allisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to try home cooked food without bones. Probably turkey thigh, breast or possibly tender beef. My cat has a sensitive digestion, I wondered if I ground the meat either befor or after cooking would make it easier on his digestion. I looked at the $150 grinders ~ I can get it if necessary but is there anything less expensive if you are not using bones? Are there hand grinders?

Thanks.

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you just want to grind meat, you can do small amounts in something as small as a Magic bullet, your food processor with the slice blade ( the one that slices in the bottom) If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer, the sell an attachment for meat grinding/sausage making, although their attachments are kind of up there in price!  You can get your grind just kind of coarse, as you want the cat to chew. You can start with a finer grind, then work up to chunkier, then just chunks. My cats get so excited when I give a small, but good sized chunk - they carry it away like they have just found some sort of prey!  Also chicken hearts, chicken livers (limited) and gizzards -which mine don't care for. Use the little goodies you get out of your next whole chicken - good way to start with raw, and don't forget the neck, which I remove the skin and whack with my cleaver into large 1 inch pieces. I never find any parts of chicken neck around the house, it is totally consumed!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had the grinder below on my Amazon wish list ever since someone here at TCS recommended it. They said it worked quite well for grinding meat. I suspect they were only grinding small amounts. I can't vouch for it but given the price it might be worth a try.

If you are grinding small amounts and aren't grinding bone I would guess most hand grinders would work pretty well. I would worry a bit about how well they work on meat that has a lot of connective tissue though.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

allisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Anne with Cats

Thank you very much for that info. What a brilliant idea to use the magic bullet. I have 2 versions of it (another brand) and 2 mini food processors. I could see using those to shred/chop the meat but not completely grind it. That's a great idea! Thanks!

My cats get so excited when I give a small, but good sized chunk - they carry it away like they have just found some sort of prey! 
Awww! That sounds way cute!
I can see the value of that, thank you for explaining it to me. In the canned food he prefers the type with shredded meat like Weruva but for a few reasons I don't want to feed him that anymore. I've just ordered the suppliment/additive reccomended here for the homecooked. (I can't think of the name just now.) 

"I remove the skin and whack with my cleaver" I don't know why but that image made me laugh! But it's also good advice!

Thanks for the help, really appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@mschauer

I will definitely buy that grinder if I decide to grind. I know what you mean about connective tissue, but it's inexpensive enough that I could do what I can and get some parts ground. I'd rather do that before buying a really expensive one just to see if it's what I want to do.  I may just go ahead and get it as it's so inexpensive just to have it on hand. Thanks for that!

And for the reminder at the bottom of your thread! It's good to be reminded of this and how serious it is. Thanks.

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
second vote for kitchen aid stand mixer attachment, of course you have to have a stand mixer for it to work. i got mine for about $50 and use it to grind partially cooked/mostly raw chicken thighs.

if you're cooking the meat and have a trusted local butcher, you could always purchase some ground and some whole, then chunk up some on your own. like @Anne with Cats  said, many cats like the little chunks. while i'm cutting/grinding my chicken, two of my three cats get all up in my business - they sit near my feet and wind around my ankles and purr really loudly until i give them a little hunk of raw chicken. then they want more, and jake will stretch, putting his front paws (AND CLAWS) on my thighs while purring like a furry tractor.