Any knitters? I have a question

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't done any knitting in quite a few years, but I've gotten the bug again. I had a half finished afghan that I put down because I made a mistake somewhere. I couldn't remember what it was, but I see that I'm supposed to have 266 stitches and only have 261. I tore one section out but didn't find it. I can't tell from looking at where the pattern might be off. If anybody has suggestions or recommendations on how to proceed, I'd appreciate it.

The pattern is:
Knit (2 rows)
K1, *[K2tog] twice, [yfwr, k1] 3 times, yfwr [sl 1 knitwise, k1, psso] twice; rep from * to last st, K1
Purl (one row)

Afghan.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I can't see anything wrong in the section in the photo, it's lovely! Since it's that difficult to see, I was wondering if you could increase by one so that you get back to 266?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
You've probably lost a stitch here and a stitch there.. so easy to do with lace patterns.
If you don't mind it being a bit wonky you could add a stitch every couple of rows but it's going to throw your pattern out. But apart from undoing, I can't see any other option... and you may not notice so much with an afgan.. it's not like it's fitted.
I count really often when I'm doing anything lacey.

Lovely crest of the wave pattern and work. :)

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot see anything off in the pattern. That leaves you with two options. Count each row and frog until you get to the missed stitches, or add stitches to make up the lost ones. The choice is really yours. I, however, would frog until I found the dropped stitches. It would be a pain now, but a much bigger pain later if the pattern goes wonky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot see anything off in the pattern. That leaves you with two options. Count each row and frog until you get to the missed stitches, or add stitches to make up the lost ones. The choice is really yours. I, however, would frog until I found the dropped stitches. It would be a pain now, but a much bigger pain later if the pattern goes wonky.
Yeah, thanks, did that with the last color block, and I really didn't want to keep going because I can't see where the pattern is off. I don't plan on gifting this to anyone, so I'm still thinking about what to do.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I can't see anything wrong in the section in the photo, it's lovely! Since it's that difficult to see, I was wondering if you could increase by one so that you get back to 266?
Thanks! I can't see anything off either, which is why I'm hesitant to just start pulling it apart. If I could see where it went wrong, it would be easier. I thought about adding, but I'm not sure where to do that where it wouldn't mess up the pattern even more.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've probably lost a stitch here and a stitch there.. so easy to do with lace patterns.
If you don't mind it being a bit wonky you could add a stitch every couple of rows but it's going to throw your pattern out. But apart from undoing, I can't see any other option... and you may not notice so much with an afgan.. it's not like it's fitted.
I count really often when I'm doing anything lacey.

Lovely crest of the wave pattern and work. :)
Definitely should have counted more frequently :( I keep getting distracted and losing count when The perfectionist in me says make it right, but I'm not planning on giving it to anyone and I just don't know if I want to pull it all apart. I don't have that much time for this, too many other commitments, I basically do a couple rows then put it down for a while. Maybe I'll try to look a little closer to see if I can figure out where I went wrong.

Oh definitely easy to drop a stitch here and there with this pattern, because my mind tends to wander. Wait, what did I just do??

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely should have counted more frequently :( I keep getting distracted and losing count when The perfectionist in me says make it right, but I'm not planning on giving it to anyone and I just don't know if I want to pull it all apart. I don't have that much time for this, too many other commitments, I basically do a couple rows then put it down for a while. Maybe I'll try to look a little closer to see if I can figure out where I went wrong.

Oh definitely easy to drop a stitch here and there with this pattern, because my mind tends to wander. Wait, what did I just do??
I've done the adding thing.. if it's something you're going to use yourself, and it's just a large piece of knitting so sizing doesn't matter, then go for it.
But didn't you notice as you were knitting that the pattern didn't last the row?

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean, you could go back, count each row until you find the dropped stitches, and then use a crochet hook or something to lift the stitches up to the row you are currently in, but, like adding stitches, it is likely to throw off the pattern. I said I would frog because it is five stitches, not just one or two. As I stated, I would frog for one with a pattern such as this, but that is me. For a simple pattern, I would find the dropped stitches and use the hook to bring them back up to the newest row.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, the rows ended correctly until the last one when I realized there was a problem.
I mean, you could go back, count each row until you find the dropped stitches, and then use a crochet hook or something to lift the stitches up to the row you are currently in, but, like adding stitches, it is likely to throw off the pattern. I said I would frog because it is five stitches, not just one or two. As I stated, I would frog for one with a pattern such as this, but that is me. For a simple pattern, I would find the dropped stitches and use the hook to bring them back up to the newest row.
I found some dropped stitches, fixed them, and I think it will be okay now. I've learned two things: (1) count often, and (2) I really hate frogging (which I already knew).

Part of me thinks I should just pull it all out and start over.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really lovely, but maybe a fresh start on something would be ok too?
Still undecided on that one. I'm just getting back into it after years away. Do I really want to start this over? Ive been looking at different patterns tho.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is beautiful as it is. I wouldn’t tear any out or start over. Just make necessary adjustments and go ahead and finish it. It’s too pretty not to be used.
Thank you, I really like the pattern. I did tear some out and found a couple dropped stitches, so I'm going on from there. What I'll do with it if/when I finish remains to be seen. My sister says I should send it to her.