Any Issues Kittysitting an Indoor/Outdoor Cat to My Indoor-Only Kitties?

jcnassoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all -

I was adopted by two indoor-only kitties who do no receive a slew of treatments (e.g., for fleas, tics, a few other vaccinations like Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia (FVRCP)) as they are indoor-only and never go out of the house. It's not that we wouldn't give it to them, it's more not wanting to subject them to things that are not going to be needed.

Fast forward to this year, a friend who has an indoor / outdoor cat recently asked if I'd watch Tuxedo for her while she's away. She knows I'm a big-time cat person and feels less guilty leaving him for ten days if someone like me can take care and visit him.

My question: Because Tuxedo goes outdoors, am I putting my girls at risk of bringing something not-so-good back from my visits to take care of him? Do I need to be concerned if Tuxedo doesn't have a full regiment of flea/tic prevention and all vaccinations (which I don't think he does, as she tells me she can't get him into a carrier)?

I want to help my friend (and would love to get to know Tuxedo), but I am my babies' purrent and I have to put their well-being above others.

Thanks for any help!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will your friend's cat be allowed outdoors while you are caring for it? If yes, how would you get it back indoors before you leave to go to your home? Sounds risky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcnassoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will your friend's cat be allowed outdoors while you are caring for it? If yes, how would you get it back indoors before you leave to go to your home? Sounds risky.
Oh, excellent question and my apologies for not covering this. While under my care no kitty would be allowed outside. I know there are different schools of thought on this topic (so this is a subjective / personal opinion) but I don't think it's in the kitty's best interest to be outside and I--as you are alluding to--would be unable to guarantee they'd get / come back home.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My question: Because Tuxedo goes outdoors, am I putting my girls at risk of bringing something not-so-good back from my visits to take care of him?
The first thing you should do is take your shoes off before you enter your house and leave them in a garage if you have one or else away from your cats. A former feline vet told me this is one of the major ways you can transmit something to your cats. Many shelter volunteers also change their clothes before they come into their house. I'm not sure whether your situation warrants this but if you're worried you may want to consider doing this too.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do I need to be concerned if Tuxedo doesn't have a full regiment of flea/tic prevention and all vaccinations (which I don't think he does, as she tells me she can't get him into a carrier)?
I almost misunderstood, but you'll be leaving him in his own home :) and as usual, Neely is right 👍