Any information on norwegian forest cats?

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We were thinking about looking into getting one to ad to our home but we would love any information we could get on them, ANYTHING. Ive been doing some looking online, but as i have said in other threads we are always willing to learn. Any information or ideas on where we could rescue one?

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had one at the shelter where I volunteer. Okana was her name and, amazingly, she was there for about 4 months. Usually kitties so exotic and beautiful don't stay long. She was small boned and probably weighed about 7 pounds. Her body was long. She had wonderful long tuffs coming out of her ears. She was quite active.

I wanted very much to take her home, but I knew I'd have felt guilty as she had a high chance of being adopted quickly, and I like plain cats just as much. She was adopted, but it took longer than we expected.

So, maybe you could find one in a shelter? Not one with papers, of course, but maybe that doesn't matter to you.

She was (is, I'm sure) a lovely cat, and quite endearing.

Robin

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basically, without papers you can't really say what is it you're getting from a shelter. Many shelters put a breed name on domestics, especially long hairs.

If you want a true NFC, find a reputable breeder and go from there.

It's usually easier to answer a specific question, rather than saying you want to know everything/anything. As with the last thread, CFA, TICA and other associations will have a breed description as would many breeder websites.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

You can also contact a Norwegian Forest Cat Rescue Group- some times closing breeders give up their cats to rescues (that's what happened to my Bugsy), or owners in need too... Here is the list by state: http://norwegianforestcat.rescueshelter.com/
Another source is of course retired queens and studs who do need a new home, and thus in a way - can be seen as rescuÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e.

Here in Sweden most breeders do keep their retired breeding cats. They continue to live with the family as before as harmonius altered. Often acting aunts and uncles to the new litters of the reigning queen on duty.

But in other cases, and in other countries, it is common retired queens (perhaps 5-6 years) and retired studs - do need a new home. All reputable breeders try of course to get them good, loving homes. The payment in these cases is of course rather symbolic. Unless perhaps if the cat is a stunning show beauty and can make a grand carrier in the altered classes...

There may also be other variations... If one holds eyes open and have the patience to wait...
For example, Kittens unsold by some reason. Or where the buyer perhaps become allergic and or changed his mind. Reputable breeders take back their kittens in such cases.
The returned kitten is not 12-14 weeks any longer and thus often cant be sold any longer for full price...
Kittens of pet quality, or say, with some fault. Although it IS often touchy to ask a reputable breeder if she has kittens of pet quality - all kittens are supposed to be first rate.... So. Unless the breeder herself tells some of the kittens may be of pet quality - dont ask about it... Contend with keeping eyes and ears open.

What Im telling is in the Russian blue circles in Sweden and Scandinavia, but it is surely so for most reputable breeders in the world, also with NFC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
how big do they normally get, Ive seen pix and they look huge! But thats the type of cats we enjoy. How much grooming do they need, we know they are fluffy and need a lot but what kind of details does it involve. Do they get along with other cats? and will they make a good indoor cat? are they playful? just some information like this would be helpful.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WiccanKittyLove

how big do they normally get, Ive seen pix and they look huge! But thats the type of cats we enjoy. How much grooming do they need, we know they are fluffy and need a lot but what kind of details does it involve. Do they get along with other cats? and will they make a good indoor cat? are they playful? just some information like this would be helpful.
They make very good indoor cats and they do well with other cats. Don't know anything about the grooming though.

The NFC isn't a huge cat. It's said the males can weigh as much as 10 kg but that's unusal. I'd say the most common is females between 4 and 6 kg and males between 5 and 8 kg.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NFC are similar to the Maine Coons. They have a thicker coat and are generally a little smaller. Females about 12 lbs, males about 15 lbs. They do require combing several times a week and can get matted easily with the thicker coat.

They are cousins to the Maine Coons and unless you really look at them, they are mistaken to be Maine Coons.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

They are cousins to the Maine Coons and unless you really look at them, they are mistaken to be Maine Coons.
Except that their heads don't look similar at all. NFOs have triangular head with longer muzzle, as MCOs have more of a square shaped head with much wider noses. They only really share hair lenght, colors and the way the breeds were developed-->naturally (but in different continents).

They do make good indoor cats, any reputable breeder wouldn't sell a cat to be an outdoor cat.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I know that - I look at the head

But to the untrained eye, they look similar and people mistake them one for the other.