Any info wld help...

GinaJo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi...I am new to the cat site and was wondering if anyone out there could help me w/my cats issues. I recently rescued a Lynx Point Siamese Tabby named Theodora Sky who is the most loving and beautiful cat I have ever had. She is approximately 3 months old and was rescued from a car motor ride and left at a nearby market. Since her rescue 2 reputable vet clinics have checked her out and she has been given to me to escape euthanization. She was released to me from the first veterinary clinic w/a mild bladder infection and an antibiotic. After a few days n her new home she adjusted well. Problem is, her UTI cleared up and she had an anal prolapse. Btwn all of this I noticed that she wld jst squat and urinate or try to defecate where ever she was standing. After her first prolapse I immediately took her to our family vet and they took her n. In a two week period of clinic stay she had 3 separate surgeries for 3 different anal prolapse. The 3rd one worked and she is home, recovering well, except she now only uses the litter box on occasion. Vry few occasions at that. She will urinate and defecate any where at any moment w/ no warning, on rugs, couches, chairs, towels, bed and beside the litter box...she even goes on me. She dribbles during her sleep as well. Can anyone out there help me w/some advice as to what I should do. I pick her up, say no ma’am and place her n her litter box and she will finish her job but not go back to box on her next urge to potty. We have 3 boxes to choose from so I’m not sure of the issues. We have another kitten named Katniss Queen n the home that is 4 months old, a torti and she has no bathroom issues whatsoever. She is only a meanie head...she bites and scratches for no reason and is wild as a buck deer. She bounces off of the walls 24/7.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
There are cat diapers which might work here, I'm not sure at her age, but have you told her vet that she's having troubles even in her sleep? I'm thinking this is more physical than mental, in other words she's not able to help it, it's just happening, particularly since it's happening while she's sleeping. The Vet needs to know this.

About your other kitty, have you tried hissing at her when she's biting and scratching? She needs a really strong hiss, just like her feline mama would do, and also use a metal can partially filled with coins. Give it a hard loud shake, and a big NO when she's misbehaving.

You'll have to do these things repeatedly, and consistently but she'll figure it out eventually, plus as she grows and matures she'll slow down a little bit :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom about checking with the vet regarding Theodora Sky's issues. It sounds like she needs a follow up with the vet, and if they don't help - seek out a second opinion with a vet from another practice. All of her records can be copied and given to you upon your request to share with another vet.

About Katniss Queen - did this behavior just start with the 'introduction' of Theodora Sky?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GinaJo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom about checking with the vet regarding Theodora Sky's issues. It sounds like she needs a follow up with the vet, and if they don't help - seek out a second opinion with a vet from another practice. All of her records can be copied and given to you upon your request to share with another vet.

About Katniss Queen - did this behavior just start with the 'introduction' of Theodora Sky?
Hi there...she has actually been like this since we got her on Mother’s Day. Katniss was hand reared, her momma kitty passed a couple of hrs after she gave birth to 5 kittens. She was bottle feed until we got her at 6 weeks old. We were told by our vet that it was jst her breed, that Tortoiseshell and Calicos r that way.

With Theodora I feel like there may be some underlying problems we r not yet aware of. She will not drink water at all which causes her to b on a wet food diet w/water added to increase her liquid intake to help her defecate which was a problem n the beginning. I give her 0.5 Miralax once a day everyday (per veterinarian) and 0.3 gas drops every other day (per veterinarian) to help w/the constipation and bloating. I have ordered a moving water fountain to hopefully help entice her to drink. She seems to b a very needy kitty and I want to do what ever I can to help her.

GinaJo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
There are cat diapers which might work here, I'm not sure at her age, but have you told her vet that she's having troubles even in her sleep? I'm thinking this is more physical than mental, in other words she's not able to help it, it's just happening, particularly since it's happening while she's sleeping. The Vet needs to know this.

About your other kitty, have you tried hissing at her when she's biting and scratching? She needs a really strong hiss, just like her feline mama would do, and also use a metal can partially filled with coins. Give it a hard loud shake, and a big NO when she's misbehaving.

You'll have to do these things repeatedly, and consistently but she'll figure it out eventually, plus as she grows and matures she'll slow down a little bit :)
Hi...TY so much for ur advice and shared info. I will certainly give it a try. I have seen puppy diapers at our local Walmart but not any for cats. I will chk amazon for that item here shortly. She acts as if she has a bladder infection, like we ourselves wld, by constantly stopping to try and urinate W/ a drip or 2 here and there. The vet assured me the UTI was cured and she was no longer dealing w/that issue.

With our Katniss we have tried everything possible except the coins n the can. The no ma’am’s do not work for her as does the rolled up newspaper, standard mail envelope or spray from the water bottle. Thank you again for the shared info.

GinaJo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi...TY so much for ur advice and shared info. I will certainly give it a try. I have seen puppy diapers at our local Walmart but not any for cats. I will chk amazon for that item here shortly. She acts as if she has a bladder infection, like we ourselves wld, by constantly stopping to try and urinate W/ a drip or 2 here and there. The vet assured me the UTI was cured and she was no longer dealing w/that issue.

With our Katniss we have tried everything possible except the coins n the can. The no ma’am’s do not work for her as does the rolled up newspaper, standard mail envelope or spray from the water bottle. Thank you again for the shared info.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, she's a tortie ;)
Be firmer, like super mentally firm and have everyone walk away and ignore her when she's misbehaving. I don't know about timeouts but you could try it, by picking her up and gently putting her into a quiet room. Timeouts in themselves notwithstanding, I think the act of picking her up and moving her around is a enough of a distraction to take her mind out of that "I'm a fierce little toughie" mode.

About your other baby, I'd almost wonder about talking to a different vet?

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She acts as if she has a bladder infection, like we ourselves wld, by constantly stopping to try and urinate W/ a drip or 2 here and there. The vet assured me the UTI was cured and she was no longer dealing w/that issue.
Did the vet tell you if there was any sediment or blood in the urine when they found the bacteria? Sediment and blood can suggest bladder stones, which can be painful even if an infection is cleared up - also causing inappropriate urination issues. It might be that she should have at least an x-ray done, or perhaps an ultrasound, to confirm or deny the existence of stones or inflammation of the bladder wall. If she were to have stones, depending on the type, there are specialized foods she could eat to help dissolve them. If there is inflammation, she might need to be placed on an anti-inflammatory medication.

See if you can get more information about her urinalysis from the vet. Also, if a urine culture was not done to determine the best antibiotics for her bacteria type, the UTI will not be entirely resolved. An incorrect antibiotic can help to relieve the infection, but it will not eradicate it.

If you can't get this vet of yours to pursue this further, I'll go back to my original plea for you to get another vet opinion.

The no ma’am’s do not work for her as does the rolled up newspaper, standard mail envelope or spray from the water bottle.
Using rolled up newspaper or any other similar item to hit/swat with, or spraying with water, can actually make matters worse. These types of tactics do not work on cats, and generally cause the cat to fear and/or distrust those who use them. You need to choose one reaction - either a hiss or a firm "no" - then pick her up and place her in a brief time out - not more than a minute or two. Any longer time frame, and the entire purpose is lost because most cats have a fairly short attention span. But, as said above, this has to happen each and every time she acts out in order for it to be effective. If done consistently, it will reap results in time.

Btw, I have had a tortie and a calico, and both were calm, mild mannered cats. Torties and calicos are not a breed of cat. Those words are used to describe the coloring/pattern of their fur/coat. Their breed is DSH or DLH - domestic short (or long) haired. None of which has anything to do with a cat's demeanor. I am surprised your vet would make such a statement.

Last edited: