Any ideas on how these will turn out?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Draco's mum had a few tabby stripes but only on her pointed bit, like this...
Those tabby stripes are just ghost tabby markings. She appears to be a solid pointed cat, rather than a tabby point (lynx point). Tabby is dominant, so since Draco's mom was not tabby, but Draco is tabby, his dad would have been some type of tabby.

However, the comment about tabby doesn't affect what I am saying about the colorpoint gene. What I am saying is that we know that both Perla and Draco carry one copy each of the recessive colorpoint gene, if their mothers were pointed. So if Draco is the father of Perla's kittens, each kitten has a 25% chance to inherit two copies of the colorpoint gene, and be pointed in color, but you didn't happen to get any pointed kittens (they are white at birth, so you would have noticed). It's possible that this could happen by chance, but it's also possible that the father of the kittens might be a different tabby cat in the neighborhood.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that enough tabby or no? And is that called point? Draco is blue Tabby.
The red, pointed cats are called flamepoints. They are lovely! There are no solid orange/red/yellow/buff cats -- all have tabby stripes.
Thanks! A LOT of love, high quality wet food 3x a day if they'll eat it and 2x a day if they don't, frequent brushing with a slicker brush, lots of fresh filtered water in a cat fountain (or not filtered, in 3 more bowls), being indoors only with lots of windows to sun themselves in, toys and comfortable beds, scratchers, cat furniture...I try to give them the best possible life!
Yes, black is a complicated subject. All cats, they say, have stripes -- they may be vestigial (not visible on the surface) or very visible, but they are supposedly there. One of our cats looked black, but his stripes were very visible even with his dark coat. He was gorgeous! One of my cats when I was small was found beside his Siamese mom who was the victim of a hit-and-run driver. He was a black longhaired cat. His fur had very red highlights. Black Siamese are distinctive like that. Then there are people -- I'm mixed race and my hair is rusty black. I envy my roomie, who's Japanese and has very black hair. A painter told me that white is the color -- in paint, anyway -- with the most different shade variations, but black has a lot of difference to it, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmieKingston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Those tabby stripes are just ghost tabby markings. She appears to be a solid pointed cat. Tabby is dominant, so since Draco's mom was not tabby, but Draco is tabby, his dad would have been some type of tabby.

However, the comment about tabby doesn't affect what I am saying about the colorpoint gene. What I am saying is that we know that both Perla and Draco carry one copy each of the recessive colorpoint gene, if their mothers were pointed. So if Draco is the father of Perla's kittens, each kitten has a 25% chance to inherit two copies of the colorpoint gene, and be pointed in color, but you didn't happen to get any pointed kittens (they are white at birth, so you would have noticed). It's possible that this could happen by chance, but it's also possible that the father of the kittens might be a different tabby cat in the neighborhood.
Aaah right I get you now, well I know Perla hasn't been out she has never even tried she runs from the open door. So I will check with my aunty I have the mum's in order. I didn't pick our kittens I just got the ones that hadn't gone already, I may have gotten them confused. One was like this but paler on the back and flatter sillier coated but still long ( that's the one with stripey legs) there was one like the earlier pic and she has one that looks like the "blue mitted" could that one maybe Draco's mum or is that still a "point"? Again as far as the father's of my cats I have no idea, Draco is the only one I WAS certain on πŸ˜‚ or so I thought. Thanks again. It's 1am here so I will ring my Aunt tomorrow. 😊😊

AmieKingston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aaah right I get you now, well I know Perla hasn't been out she has never even tried she runs from the open door. So I will check with my aunty I have the mum's in order. I didn't pick our kittens I just got the ones that hadn't gone already, I may have gotten them confused. One was like this but paler on the back and flatter sillier coated but still long ( that's the one with stripey legs) there was one like the earlier pic and she has one that looks like the "blue mitted" could that one maybe Draco's mum or is that still a "point"? Again as far as the father's of my cats I have no idea, Draco is the only one I WAS certain on πŸ˜‚ or so I thought. Thanks again. It's 1am here so I will ring my Aunt tomorrow. 😊😊
Sorry the one I said was like this the pic didn't load. It's just the "normal" rag doll/Birman look with the chocolatey Brown face a bit down the back with a creamy colour.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are sure she has never gotten out, he's probably the father then! The chance of getting at least one pointed kitten in a litter when both parents carry colorpoint is a bit over 76%... but that means there is also a 24% chance of not getting any pointed kittens, and that is apparently what happened here :)

AmieKingston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are sure she has never gotten out, he's probably the father then! The chance of getting at least one pointed kitten in a litter when both parents carry colorpoint is a bit over 76%... but that means there is also a 24% chance of not getting any pointed kittens, and that is apparently what happened here :)
There's a better pic of a kitten.

Attachments

AmieKingston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. The runt of Perlas litter is a 3rd of the size of the others, he was cold and somewhat unresponsive last night, I held him onto her for his feeds so he could actually get a feed without th others shoving him out. I got some mammal replacement milk he has had 2 feeds of 2ml since 12pm he seems to be a lot more with it already, his rooting instinct seems to be back and he is even trying to fight the others off his nipple now, I will keep giving him a feed and putting him back in with Perla. What I want to know is does it sound like he may recover? I know it's hard to tell but these are good signs right???

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, with the extra care you are giving him and will continue to give, he really should thrive.

You may want to put a heating pad set on low under the blanket, and I think you should also check on him through the night for a few days, and even offer a feeding during the night. It sounds like you got to him in the nick of time!

AmieKingston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, with the extra care you are giving him and will continue to give, he really should thrive.

You may want to put a heating pad set on low under the blanket, and I think you should also check on him through the night for a few days, and even offer a feeding during the night. It sounds like you got to him in the nick of time!
Oh good. He has a heated rice sock next to him in the bed, Perla is giving him a lot more attention now as well ( I think she likes cleaning the milk dribbles off him πŸ˜„) He still isn't great at latching on and staying in the nipple and he doesn't really suck so I am using a 1ml syringe. He has got a lot louder if he wants something now too, bless his little heart. πŸ–€β™₯ Thank you for the reassurances 😊😊

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can give Perla her own dish of formula daily too, but I’ll bet she does love licking his little milk face. Aww :lovecat2:

AmieKingston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh good. He has a heated rice sock next to him in the bed, Perla is giving him a lot more attention now as well ( I think she likes cleaning the milk dribbles off him πŸ˜„) He still isn't great at latching on and staying in the nipple and he doesn't really suck so I am using a 1ml syringe. He has got a lot louder if he wants something now too, bless his little heart. πŸ–€β™₯ Thank you for the reassurances 😊😊
There he is under his sibling.

Attachments

AmieKingston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He really IS tiny!
Hi. I have called the tiny baby Ichabod, he is doing well with his feeds, his tail is starting to get a bit of fat at the base now too. He seems a lot stronger, he is still really tiny, but he now keeps wandering around the box crying (He has been winded and toileted) he is very loud, could this just be because he has gotten used to being tended too very quickly or should I be worried? He seems alert (as much as they can be at this age) he can also right himself now if he rolls over. Perla has stopped rushing to him constantly now when he cries, as he just keeps walking round and going under all the others and pushing them from underneath, he doesn't stop walking til he tires himself out. I am somewhat confused with him. πŸ€” Thank you again. 😊😊

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, a feisty little guy! Make sure he is getting on a nipple to nurse and that he gains at least 6-10 grams per day. Watch that he’s not getting bullied by his larger siblings. 😊

AmieKingston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, a feisty little guy! Make sure he is getting on a nipple to nurse and that he gains at least 6-10 grams per day. Watch that he’s not getting bullied by his larger siblings. 😊
I am still feeding him, as he does get shoved off all the time, and now he also seems to be forgetting how to latch onto Perla as he now just holds his mouth open near her nipple. Every now and then he manages for about a minute then falls off and struggles to latch back on, I think this may be why he got so weak?? He is very loud so I always know he is alive.😊😊 Thank you.

AmieKingston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am still feeding him, as he does get shoved off all the time, and now he also seems to be forgetting how to latch onto Perla as he now just holds his mouth open near her nipple. Every now and then he manages for about a minute then falls off and struggles to latch back on, I think this may be why he got so weak?? He is very loud so I always know he is alive.😊😊 Thank you.

AmieKingston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the litter yesterday, Ichabod is still tiny but he is still going strong, he has calmed the shouting down a lot now, unless he gets shoved by his behemoth sister in which case he kicks off loudly. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜πŸ˜All the bit really fat kittens are girls, the normal sized kitten is a boy and of course my little Ichabod. He is obviously staying with us, I really like the big black girl, she looks like she has white pants on and painted toes, but she is so smooth and silky, Luna, Perla, Benjen and Ned were all slightly fuzzy haired not silky. Anyway I just wanted to say thank you for your help. Just knowing you are all here helps a lot.

Attachments

AmieKingston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I just wanted to update you all on Ichabod. He is 8 days old now and he is now being fed by myself and Perla. He is up to 5-7ml every 2-3 hours. He is doing fantastic, and he is a little sweetie, he purrs when he gets his wipe down after feeding... Thank you for your help and support. It has made it a lot easier knowing you are all here. 😻😻😻😸😸😸

AmieKingston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi :) My cats Perla and Draco (Draco is my profile pic) welcomed 5 kittens this morning. Both of my cats are Ragdoll mixes,they are the results of my Aunts unrelated breeding queens escaping to the local park. :D Perla is a shorthair chocolatey black with amber eyes, Draco is a long hair blue Tabby with green eyes, their kittens are black with silver Tabby markings everywhere but their backs. What is this called as when I look online I have searched Black cat with Tabby face or point and it only shows me black cats or seal point etc.
Hello everyone,
Just a little update. All the kittens are doing great, they are adorable and at that awesome stage of running around crazily attacking eachother in play. I love them all dearly. Ichabod is now the heaviest and he has beautiful markings he has spots stripes and rosettes, there is so much detail, compared to his long haired siblings. He does look like someone smudged his halo on his forehead though. πŸ˜‚. ONCE again thank you for all the help and advice. Xx