Any Ideas How To Keep Cat From Licking Rash?

Bill_Folds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 3 months ago, a stray cat wound up hanging around my house, he was skittish at first but warmed up to me after a few feedings. I noticed that once I could handle the cat, that it had a terrible rash covering all of its underside. The fur was missing, and it was all terribly irritated red skin. I took the cat to the vet that day, because it seemed like the cat was really sore and I didnt want it to suffer. The vet said that it appeared as if someone had either put a chemical on the cat on purpose, or the cat might have laid in a caustic substance, such as leaking battery acid and it kind of burned the hair off, exposing raw, irritated skin. She gave me antibiotics, steroids, and a cone for the cat to avoid him licking it any further. Well, everything worked wonderfully, and 90 percent of the skin healed up, hair grew back, no problem. The problem is that the cat can reach the bottom of his stomach near the genitals and there is literally nothing I can do to stop the cat from constantly grooming that area, and every time the cat licks himself, he opens up the scabs every couple of days. Im home with the cat, monitoring him frequently, but eventually ill go out or go in the shower, and he will wind up grooming that spot and re opening the wound. This is the only spot that has not healed, its been months now, and the vet is also at a loss as to how to stop this. I have topicals to put on it, which are supposed to taste bad and he will still lick it off. At this rate, it just will not heal fully, im at wits end. He will leave it alone for a long while, it will start to scab up and hair will start coming back, then ill come back to a bloody mess after running to the store, and we start the process over again. If anyone has had any kind of similar experience, and has any suggestions, it will be greatly appreciated.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try a baby onesie. Here's one member's instructions on how to modify one for a cat: Alternatives to the Cone

I'm not sure where that member lives where the onesies have a solid crotch. The only ones I've ever seen have a crotch with snaps to easily get the baby in and out and for easier diaper change. You might be able to just use one of the snaps to hold the onesie in place and still allow the tail to move.

There's also a video here: Clothes On Cats?

Can you use an e-collar on the cat? It doesn't have to be the typical plastic one shaped one. There are soft donut shaped ones that aren't so bothersome to a cat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Additionally, you can brew a cup of chamomile tea, chill it in the fridge, and swab it on the area. Since it is safe for cats internally in proper doses, it is not an issue if he licks it. The chamomile tea is very soothing for skin ouchies of all sorts on man or beast.

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I like the suggestion of the chamomile tea poultice! I wonder what kind of drugs the cat in the video was on...mine would never sit still for a onesie fitting :flail: