Any Ideas For A Cheaper Grain Free Wet?

toulousesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! so I'm on the hunt AGAIN for a new type of wet cat food. My boy cat has a history of UTI and cystitis and had to have the PU surgery. I've had him on only wet food for years and previously was giving him some of the most expensive food available. But due to budget I started buying Sheba. It's grain free and CHEAP. 24 cans for 13 dollars. However, I was looking at the ingredients in it today and I was cringing. Salt and added colors. Tons of other chemicals that Im unfamiliar with and taurine was the LAST ingredient. So I'm hoping to find a step up from Sheba. If anyone has recommendations I'd be very grateful. I've looked on chewy but I cant find anything that is under 25 dollars a case thats not horrible. Also, I have tried switching my cats to raw. They wont touch it. I tried putting it down with their regular food every day for a week and then tried only giving them raw. They would apparently rather starve than eat raw so right now, that isnt an option.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have a Tractor Supply store near you? I've been buying their 4health grain free food. It is only 0.69cents for a 5.5oz can! Best price I can find around here for a pretty good food.
I also just mentioned on another thread that I've recently been using ProPlan True Nature grain free. It does have salt but I don't see any added color on the label.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Wellness complete health? You can get the large 12.5 oz cans for $3. And if you get the case of 12 on chewy, it's closer to $34.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try the 4Health Grain Free from Tractor Supply if you have one near you, or they do free shipping over a certain order amount. 69 cents for a 5.5 ounce can, and they have specials now and then. The taurine is listed as the last ingredient in it too. Taurine is extremely light-weight powder though, so that isn't surprising. I add taurine to my cats' raw diet mix...one tiny capsule is 500 mg.

4health Grain Free Turkey & Giblet Dinner For Cats, 5.5 oz. Can - For Life Out Here

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It may not be hard to find grain free or no added color. I know there dome cheaper than Sheba options. But, the chemicals may be what make food complete and balanced. Taurine is usually 0.01 or 0.05% (can't remember exactly ). That is how much cats need I believe.
Food hunt is never easy and never ends! I have a healthy girl but still feel your pain :(

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Holistic select. The only decent/cheap wet food around here. 1.75$ CAD /5.5 oz...must be around 1.40 US$/ 5.5 oz. I try to avoid Carrageenan in my cat food...but Holistic use Xanthan Gum...so i guess you have to pick your poison.

Fun fact: McDonald use Carrageenan in its ice cream :p But i love it anyway!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, I have tried switching my cats to raw. They wont touch it. I tried putting it down with their regular food every day for a week and then tried only giving them raw. They would apparently rather starve than eat raw so right now, that isnt an option.
What kind of raw was it? Many cats turn their noses up at frozen raw but may eat freeze dried raw instead. You could try that and slowly use the freeze dried raw as a topper for frozen raw. Hiding frozen raw in stinky canned food with extra toppers often works, too.

There are threads on affordable canned foods:

Healthy but affordable canned food
Affordable canned food?
Cheapest/Most affordable Grain free or healthiest canned food
http://www.thecatsite.com/t/330459/...conomical-way-to-buy-friskies-canned-cat-food
New Affordable PetSmart Brand! =D
4health now has affordable grain-free wet food
https://thecatsite.com/threads/healthy-but-affordable-canned-food.308964/

ginjaninja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have a Tractor Supply store near you? I've been buying their 4health grain free food. It is only 0.69cents for a 5.5oz can! Best price I can find around here for a pretty good food.
I also just mentioned on another thread that I've recently been using ProPlan True Nature grain free. It does have salt but I don't see any added color on the label.

The 4health brand contains guar gum and carrageenan if that's any concern.

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you looked at Nutro Natural Choice? My 2 enjoy the chunky chicken and chunky turkey. It's a pate food with decent ingredients at a reasonable price.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The 4health brand contains guar gum and carrageenan if that's any concern.
Some of the varieties do not list carrageenan but I didn't check for guar gum. The turkey and giblets is the only grain free one that has carrageenan. The chicken dinner and salmon dinner do not and I don't think I saw it in the "chicken recipe" one either.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Dave's is under $1 per can. I think only some flavors have carrageenan. I feed it anyway. I figure I eat carrageenan, so... but I do think there are some without. But yea, Dave's is pretty good.
What about Redbarn? They are grain free and around 25ish for a case on chewy.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Also Whole Earth Farms? My cats didn't like it, but I think they are a bit less expensive too. They are around the same price as Dave's.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you looked at Nutro Natural Choice? My 2 enjoy the chunky chicken and chunky turkey. It's a pate food with decent ingredients at a reasonable price.
I agree: Nutro Natural Choice is a very decent option at a moderate price. Our cats love the minced chicken, sliced turkey, and chunky chicken, which are among their foods that don't have carrageenan.