Any ideas?? Domestic shorthair or blue Russian ?

jessiemang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know you don’t typically get a breed like a Blue Russian at a rescue…. But they look so much like all of the pictures I have seen. I’m just curious what other cat lovers think? They are 9month old females. I love them so!!!!

Attachments

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What cuties! I would say they are blue domestic short hairs. I am not an expert on Russian blues, but the chances of someone finding a pure bred kitten of ANY breed in a shelter is fairly slim. Most cats are domestics and not any particular breed or mix of breeds. That does not make you girls any less special though.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
J jessiemang
Hi,
Beautiful girls🌼
I am not of the opinion that it is uncommon for cats to have a particular breed in their ancestry. People have been breeding and letting cats roam for long enough, in particular, the older popular breeds such as Siamese and Persians. They go back quite far.
Many people don't spay and neuter today, more so back then and cats can reproduce fairly quickly.
I can see why you think there is a similarity to a Russian blue but Russian Blues are not that common. If they were Russian blues, their eyes would probably be a deep green, though shading is not always prefect.
The liklihood they were put in a shelter as a Russian Blue is slim but possible. For example, if a family member died and the relatives just wanted the cats removed.
I think they look more like very pretty, grey domestic shorthairs.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My impression is they are nice domestics. Russians dont have this dip in the nose...

Even if theorethically, they COULD be very pet quality, and this is the cause the breeder abandoned them to the shelter.

Why, my own retired RB stud, used happily by several experienced breeders, hasnt very good green eyes. Taking one exampel they arent always of show quality...
In a Show he would do OK, because he is handsome with good psyche, but he wouldnt get top marks with his so so green eyes.

AnSDRfanhere

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maltese cats (Blue household shorthairs). Household shorthair is another term for domestic shorthair