Any Ideas Anyone

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am out of ideas on how to help my boy Buzz.
End of April he had a UTI, vet gave him antibiotics and anti-inflammatory and it cleared up. Four weeks later, back again, vet put him on Metacam for 5 days and it cleared. Five weeks later it was back. The vet scanned him and he had a lot of debris in his bladder, not crystals or stones just bits, also bladder wall was inflamed, extracted urine and showed blood in it, did urine analysis and it came back clear. Put him on Metacam every day for 2 weeks, every other day for 2 weeks plus Nutracys daily. He is also on Hills c/d urinary dry and Royal Canin urinary s/o, fully transitioned 2 weeks ago. He normally pees twice a day but since the scan has only been going once a day. Saturday I removed all the day and gave him wet only plus syringed some water into him and Sat and Sun peed twice.
Today he had another scan, bladder wall is better but that could be because of the Metacam but the debris has not improved. I am at a loss on how to help him. He is due to go for another scan in a month but if no better, what is next? Has anyone any experience, knowledge or ideas on this, as I am feeling overwhelmed at the moment. Thanks.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Although no personal experience with the same problem I was curious what your vet told you, e.g. recommendations, continuing with the wet food, etc. BTW, how old is Buzz? Thinking of both of you and sending healing vibes. :vibes::vibes:

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If this were my cat, I'd get some colloidal silver and give him 5ml 3-4 times a day for a couple of weeks and I'd give him some George's Aloe and marshmallow root tea several times a day as well. When I was younger I suffered from frequent UTIs. I found brewed marshmallow tea helped the pain immensely and fast. The debris that was found in the bladder could just be dead tissue cells. I've found colloidal silver to work like a charm for UTIs in myself as well as cats.

If you're in the US, I recommend UtopiaSilver.com for the colloidal silver. It's high quality and cheaper than what is available in health food stores.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think I really have anything of value to offer, but was wondering if 2 weeks transition on the food is just not enough time? Perhaps, equally true of the Nutracys?

I would also ask the vet what they think these 'bits' are made up of, since they seemed to have ruled out crystals, as well as WBC and bacteria. Also, have they checked for any kind of renal issues that might be causing sediment/bits?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
neely neely . Buzz is three years old. The vet didnt really say a lot other than he will have to be on prescription food for some time and Nutracys maybe for life but now that he is off Metacam if the uti returns, the long term isnt looking good. Not very encouraging.

L Libby. I am in the UK. Thanks for the suggestions, I have not heared of either colloidal silver or marshmallow leaf tea. I will have a look at those.

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . I agree that 2 weeks isnt long enough with the food. He has been on Nutracys for 4 weeks and will be most probably for life. I have decided to give him wet food only, he has always preferred dry and the most wet I have got him to eat is one sachet a day. He seems to like the Royal Canin though. When the vet said he had debris I asked if they were crystals or stones and she said 'no just bits'. I will press her for infor next time I see or speak to her.

silkenpaw silkenpaw . He was on a mix of both but since saturday I have only given him wet and will continue to do so. As he is allergic to chicken, my choice is really restricted.
Thanks all for your replies.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
neely neely . Buzz is three years old. The vet didnt really say a lot other than he will have to be on prescription food for some time and Nutracys maybe for life but now that he is off Metacam if the uti returns, the long term isnt looking good. Not very encouraging.

L Libby. I am in the UK. Thanks for the suggestions, I have not heared of either colloidal silver or marshmallow leaf tea. I will have a look at those.

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . I agree that 2 weeks isnt long enough with the food. He has been on Nutracys for 4 weeks and will be most probably for life. I have decided to give him wet food only, he has always preferred dry and the most wet I have got him to eat is one sachet a day. He seems to like the Royal Canin though. When the vet said he had debris I asked if they were crystals or stones and she said 'no just bits'. I will press her for infor next time I see or speak to her.

silkenpaw silkenpaw . He was on a mix of both but since saturday I have only given him wet and will continue to do so. As he is allergic to chicken, my choice is really restricted.
Thanks all for your replies.
Marshmallow root tea.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the vet said he had debris I asked if they were crystals or stones and she said 'no just bits'. I will press her for infor next time I see or speak to her.
With cystitis, the inflamed bladder wall actually sheds cells. Sorta like a woman having her period, the uterus thickens and then the lining sheds if no baby. I have a feeling that that is what the "bits" are.
Cystitis can be present without any crystals, stones or infection. The best way I can describe it in one sentence is that, the same part of the brain that is stimulated when a cat is stressed is the same part of the brain that signals the urinary system. So stress = urinary system inflammation and spasms.

If your baby has cystitis, stress is the big factor to try and diminish. If you are feeding the prescription foods for urinary care, they have a "stress" (Hills SD) or "calm" (RC) formula. I would ask the vet about getting those.
My little one was put on the RC calm diet and it worked wonderfully to lessen her stress. Now that she's comfortable in our home I don't think it's needed anymore, so I'm thinking of changing food, but I swear it was a godsend!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jem Jem . Thanks for the explanation I didn't know about the shedding..interesting, I am going to discuss with the vet when I can next see her and she did say that she thinks that it is stress related. I will look into the other foods.

stephanietx stephanietx . My vets practice doesnt appear to be particularly open minded regarding natural/ alternative meds. I mentioned uromaxx a while ago and she dismissed it.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have just spoken to my vet and the debris in Buzz's bladder is protein, mucus plugs and such like.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So essentially, poor kitty is in a chronic state of cystitis.
When my boy had cystitis, he was given several medications to control the inflammation and spasms of his bladder and urethra, mind you he blocked, so it was paramount that he get immediate intervention. It took a few months before he regained normal urinary function, and the medications themselves I only had to give him for a couple of weeks, although the antidepressant was given for over a month.
I wonder if that would be something to consider though. I would think you could treat the symptoms of the cystitis as you try to work on lowering his stress levels. What if the "debris" from the bladder is further irritating him (his bladder) which is continuing his stress? And the only way you can eliminate the debris is to stop the inflammation so that the bladder quits "shedding".
IKD, just a thought, it helped my boy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes you have to do your own research and try things that other kitty owners in similar situations have found to be helpful. Most of the supplements I give to my herpes kitty were not mentioned by my vet. However, I mention them to my vet, she researches, and then asks me if it works.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats a good article FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . Thanks. I have brain overload today I have read so much. The vet recommended googling 'International Cat Care' .I'll have a look at that later.

stephanietx stephanietx . Every time I have asked this particular vet to look into some natural or holistic medicine she never does. I went into a local health shop today with questions on stress relievers and came out totally confused. She recommended Rhodiola, couldnt find out if it is safe for cats or not. I need to clear my mind and start again