Any idea what his breed is?

moonsmom21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my little guy Moon, he's very quirky, loyal, loving and protective! He's very curious and intelligent. And he is always making me laugh. The vet was not entirely sure what his breed is, I adopted him from a friend of a friend a year and a half ago a few months after he was born.

Any ideas? I was thinking he looks like a mackerel tabby, but recently found out about Egyptian Maus and their behaviors, leg and torso measurements, he seems to fit the criteria. What do you all think? Thanks :)
Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 5.44.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 5.44.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 5.49.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 5.49.44 PM.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moonsmom21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my little guy Moon, he's very quirky, loyal, loving and protective! He's very curious and intelligent. And he is always making me laugh. The vet was not entirely sure what his breed is, I adopted him from a friend of a friend a year and a half ago a few months after he was born.

Any ideas? I was thinking he looks like a mackerel tabby, but recently found out about Egyptian Maus and their behaviors, leg and torso measurements, he seems to fit the criteria. What do you all think? Thanks :)
View attachment 420046View attachment 420047

View attachment 420050View attachment 420051
What a beauty 😻 He looks like a dsh spotted brown tabby to me, maybe broken mackerel. 😀

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with above.

Also, Egyptian Maus are rare.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very unlikely an Egyptian Maus ..he would have a scarab marking on the top of his head if he was.
But something is there, sort of wondering maybe Ocicat somewhere with his build etc.
This is just guessing but he has me intrigued.

Ocicat
ocicat-cat-breed.jpg

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A lot of cat breeds started because people saw characteristics in breeds that already exist and then bred those characteristics to make a consistent breed.

So sometimes a cat is a mix, and sometimes it's just one of those cats who happened to have characteristics that show up sometimes. Without breed testing it's hard to say. (I've been doing a ton of research because Magnus.)

For example that random tail mutation where their tail rests along their back (parallel, not quite the curled tail), shows up periodically. We haven't bred it into making a specific breed. Other traits are like that, but are now "markers" of a specific breed. They can still show up in the general population from time to time.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of cat breeds started because people saw characteristics in breeds that already exist and then bred those characteristics to make a consistent breed.

So sometimes a cat is a mix, and sometimes it's just one of those cats who happened to have characteristics that show up sometimes. Without breed testing it's hard to say. (I've been doing a ton of research because Magnus.)

For example that random tail mutation where their tail rests along their back (parallel, not quite the curled tail), shows up periodically. We haven't bred it into making a specific breed. Other traits are like that, but are now "markers" of a specific breed. They can still show up in the general population from time to time.
Mixes are rarer then pedigrees, generally. The vast majority of cats have absolutely no significant breed ancestry.