Any home remedy for advanced heart worm in dogs?

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Took my dog to the vet today and they said there’s nothing that can be done being his heartworm condition is too advanced and recommended euthanasia. Is there anything i can give hin at home for comfort or even maybe treat it somehow? TIA

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear that! While I am not recommending this, I did find some information you can use as you want. If you are to consider any holistic or home remedy, try consulting a holistic vet in your area. The information on these treatments is inconclusive and some can be dangerous if not done right.

Treating Heartworm Holistically - Whole Dog Journal

Do Natural Cures for Canine Heartworms Work? | LoveToKnow

Heartworms are horrific, especially if they are not caught right away, which sounds as if it is the case here. Honestly, if it is an advanced case, there is not much that can be done. I am assuming you were given treatment for the heartworm by the vet. If so, have him re-examined after the treatment to see how much damage has been done. If he has not been treated, as your vet for treatment and then an examination once he is finished with treatment. What sort of examinations did the vet do to see the extent of the damage?

I am not trying to sound hopeful, but maybe the damage is not as bad as it seemed at first. Perhaps a second opinion could help.

Heartworm Basics - American Heartworm Society

Heartworm Positive Dogs - American Heartworm Society

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can ask the vet about the slow kill method. You give a regular dose of ivermectin (very inexpensive) and doxycycline (to try to prevent a bad reaction) and the heartworms die off over a few years. There's always the chance of sudden heart failure when heartworms are present but killing them gradually is easier on the dog than a sudden kill-off.

How old is the dog?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He died in my arms right after i posted this thread. He was very bloated and the vet said there wasnt much they could do except refer me to a surgeon but even they may not be able to do anything either. Cant believe he’s gone. Im totally shell shocked right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I inquired about possible injections and drainage. They said no injections available amd drainaige would kill him blah blah blah.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, yeah, sounds like he was too far gone, poor guy. Sorry for your loss.

If you get any more dogs, be sure to maintain a good prevention program. If Heartgard is too expensive, you can try generic ivermectin.

Last edited by a moderator:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He died in my arms right after i posted this thread. Cant believe he’s gone. Im totally shell shocked right now.
I'm so sorry for your loss, heart worm is a serious disease in dogs. My heartfelt sympathies go out to you. RIP sweet boy. :angel:

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Our Lola had heartworms. Its scary =( I'm sorry for your loss