Any guinea pigs owners on board?

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My friend’s friend just gave me a pig because her daughter developed an allergy to the animal. They had her in a 12” x 12” cage SMH. Can i feed her dried hay ina bag sold at Walmart/Petsmart? Or grass from my yard free of any chemicals would do? What else do i need to know about GP? TIA!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to buy guinea pig food. Pet stores sell guinea pig food, usually in pellet form. Oxbow is a good brand. Whatever brand you choose make sure it has vitamin C in it. Guinea pigs require vitamin C in their diet.

Hay is for digestive purposes and should be free fed daily. Lawn grass is of a different grass species than hay and may irritate a guinea pig's tummy. Plus you don't know what kind of bacteria or parasites might be in your lawn that could make your guinea pig ill.

You'll need a bigger cage. 12" x 12" is way too small. A cage at least double that size is ideal. Guinea pigs don't climb so a cage that is roomy horizontally is more important than a cage that is vertically high.

Provide wooden blocks for the guinea pig to gnaw on to keep the teeth from getting overgrown. Pet stores sell chewing blocks and sticks.

You'll need a vet for any vet care the guinea pig may need. Most regular dog / cat vets do not have experience with small animals. Look for an exotic vet.

Here is info on basic care:

Last edited:

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Timothy hay is excellent for guinea pigs and widely available but as stated they also need guinea pig food.