Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FortiFlora….I’ve been reading, this is also used for cats that have diarrhea but my cat doesn’t have diarrhea and I don’t want to get her to be constipated if I use this appetite stimulant.
I only give her the baby food when she gets really bad at not eating. I know it’s not complete nourishment for her so I don’t feed it to her every day
My cats have not had constipation from Flotiflora. It actually helped our old man cat with this problem.

You can also try feeding kitten food..it has more calories and things like added probiotics.

Our vet had us keep Magnus on Mother and Babycat by Royal Canin food rather than the kitten blend to keep up with that stuff while we were diagnosing his heart condition.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I already tried bacon, both crispy and rubbery...both only got a sniff before rejection. Other things; Chicken liver fried, beef liver fried and raw, ground veal fried and raw, chicken thigh (boiled, soup and fried), hamburger raw and fried, pork chop fried, ground lamb raw and fried, turkey thigh baked, and both whole duck and goose baked. Cannot find rabbit or mutton around here, so I think that about covers it.

This coming week I will make it down to PetClub superstore, and instead of dropping $60 on two cartons of Fussy Cat Salmon and Tuna, I'll try buying individual cans of whatever they sell like that. It will be a big waste of money if Buddy flips the paw to it all, but I could get lucky.
Addendum:

It was a bust. Of the fourteen cans of cat food I bought, only Tiki Cat Tahitian Grill Sardine Cutlets made it past the sniff test, and was then only sorta eaten reluctantly. On the positive side, the neighborhood stray was in hog heaven, and looks to of put on weight. Morris has been reincarnated, and I'm stuck with him!

NoChicken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our kitty refused to eat after being sick. We tried several trucks and all failed. We knew we had to get something in him, so we dabbed some honey onto his nose. He licked it furiously then went right over and ate his meal.

TexasCatLady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One thing i don't like about weruva is that many of thier cans say chicken but include fish which one of my cats does not like
Also, I wrote to Weruva a month ago asking if they BPA in their can lining. They could not say there isn’t any because the company that they use for packaging won’t certify that there is no BPA. In other words, while Weruva is good food, if you’re trying to avoid BPA, I’d suggest Tiki Cat instead. It’s human grade, real food, as well.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have trouble feeding Maggie because peaches stalks her and will steal her food so Maggie keeps going in a different location. I finally figured out that all I need to do is hide Maggie. She eats behind a 38inch long 12 inch high cat lounger/bed and cubes around her.i feed peaches first in my bathroom. She will follow the food anywhere. Maggie always chases after her and jumps over her. Peaches is small Maggie tall

Val622

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are many times when a cat refuse to eat due to change of food, due to health reasons, being fussy or gotten sick of what they have been eating and we try to get them to eat a new food and have problems getting them to eat.

I see that there are many threads past and recent on how members who are at their wits end trying to get their cats to eat will no results and also members who have successfully gotten their cats to eat.

This thread is for all who have good tips on getting their cats to eat again and so if you have one or two or more good tips, please share your experiences here according to the conditions of your cats as in change of diet due to health reasons, change of food due to discontinued food or getting them to eat something better, so that any members trying to get their cats to eat may find tips under this thread. If you have already posted before, you may cut and paste your tips here.

Here are two articles to read beside your contributions :-

why-has-my-cat-stopped-eating-and-is-it-dangerous.32998

how-to-get-your-cat-to-start-eating-again.33011
All I know is my kitten was out on Purina probiotic for 10 days and she’s got such a huge appetite. I can’t keep her full.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
All I know is my kitten was out on Purina probiotic for 10 days and she’s got such a huge appetite. I can’t keep her full.
A kitten needs to eat many times a day and should be fed as much as she can eat at one sitting. As kittens are growing up, they need much nutrients and proteins and these comes from feeding them wet food and these are the building blocks they need to have a proper growth. And wet food keeps them hydrated.

You can feed your kitten wet food meant for kittens as these are meant to aid their growth with the right formulations. Normal breeds kittens mature at o e year old and thereafter you can slowly transit her over to adult food or you can also feed her now with wet food labeled ‘For All Life Stages’ and you don’t have to transit her over to adult food when she matures.

Once she reaches around 7 months ol, she’ll go through a phase called growth spurt and she’ll tends to eat more than usual and this will go on till she around a year plus and then the food intake will slowly taper off.

For now, feed her as much wet food as she can eat at one sitting and feed her 5 - 6 times a day. You can’t over feed a kitten. Once she’s full, she’ll walk away and you can roughly gauge from here how much she eats at one sitting and adjust accordingly till she has enough.
Also feed her what she likes to eat. Not all cats like expensive food or the best food.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides pure bites, I started mixing in a few pieces crushed of Dr Marty natures Feast. Very expensive and a lot of calories so only as a topper
Turkey,duck,goose,and quail freeze dried raw
No fillers
At Krisers and Natural Pawz

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This video is 12 years old. Toady the cat, lived for 5.5 years more (and some in the comments say beyond that) using this method. The woman's a real trooper!

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are many times when a cat refuse to eat due to change of food, due to health reasons, being fussy or gotten sick of what they have been eating and we try to get them to eat a new food and have problems getting them to eat.

I see that there are many threads past and recent on how members who are at their wits end trying to get their cats to eat will no results and also members who have successfully gotten their cats to eat.

This thread is for all who have good tips on getting their cats to eat again and so if you have one or two or more good tips, please share your experiences here according to the conditions of your cats as in change of diet due to health reasons, change of food due to discontinued food or getting them to eat something better, so that any members trying to get their cats to eat may find tips under this thread. If you have already posted before, you may cut and paste your tips here.

Here are two articles to read beside your contributions :-

why-has-my-cat-stopped-eating-and-is-it-dangerous.32998

how-to-get-your-cat-to-start-eating-again.33011
THANK YOU for this thread!!! (For a Feral cat of ours).