Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure that a cat's Teeth and Mouth are healthy. :bluepaw:
And that no digestive blockages are occurring.
Basically, a Vet visit, is needed for this. :blackcat:

Some similar ideas that I've tried:
  1. People have already mentioned that they've crumbled dry cat food, like purina cat chow multi-flavoured, and Pure Bites Chicken treats,...as toppers.
  2. Also whiskas or fancy feast wet food.
  3. **Those 'Squeeze-up, smooth cat treats', are also good to try.
  4. (My previous CKD cat did like the 'Forti Flora' from the Vet,...but only for a short time, and then went off his food, too.) I do think it was the 'animal digest' in it, that he initially liked.
  5. **Hill's A/D critical care, prescription wet cat food, was liked, (when transitioning my ckd cat to the prescription hills, k/d,...for kidney care).
  6. (One of mine also liked the Nutri-cal paste, but the other cat didn't...(it's worth a try.)
*** 7) This may do nothing,...but if you have any 'Enzymatic cat toothpaste' laying around, with chicken or tuna flavour,...then try rubbing a bit on the gums or back teeth.
(Something I read online about medications, changing the taste in the mouth, or causing a bad lingering taste,...makes me think that anything you can do to alter the taste in a cat's mouth,...may help them to eat.)

8) Associating food with feeling ill, can cause food aversion., yet I would hope that if you could find something to alter the taste, or aftertaste of any medications, then perhaps that would help a cat to start to eat again.
Also, giving the medications, with a 'new or different wet food',
that your cat does not normally eat, to try and prevent 'food aversion' in the first place.

9) Try and see if eating from a 'flat plate' is easier .
Raise it about 4-6 inches on top of some box, books or magazine
s.
It may help a cat eat if dish is raised a bit.

10) Compounding Pharmacies might help, also,...if they can actually 'duplicate a favorite flavour'...into some sort of paste or treat...with the medications already inside them. (if medications are needed for a cat).

Just a few more ideas that you can try to get a cat to eat:

Not Eating Well? Boosting Your Cat's Appetite -Frederick Cat Vet
The above article had many useful tips. I especially liked:
"Toppings: Cats love fat and salt, but a little can go a long way. Bacon, grated cheese, catnip, CatSure, chicken broth, FortiFlora probiotic, Churu and Squeeze Ups can be poured on or sprinkled on food to make it taste better. The goal with these toppings is to entice your cat to eat the whole meal, and not just feast on the treats. Many cats readily lap up juice from canned chicken or seafood, so adding this to the regular diet can make it much tastier."
also: "The smell of chicken or fish cooking on the stove may be enticing. Also tempt them with traditional treats and sandwich slices."

Approach to the Anorexic Cat • MSPCA-Angell
This article had mentioned..."sprinkling catnip on food".
"Many cats like catnip and sprinkling a small amount on the top of food will stimulate them to eat the catnip and may jumpstart eating the food."

Is your cat a picky eater? | Animal Wellness Magazine
Acupressure:"Shan gen, “Base of the Mountain”: This “classical” acupoint is located just back from your cat’s nose, toward his eyes and on the center line. It’s known to trigger a desire to eat. Starting at your cat’s nose, gently rub back toward his eyes using the soft tip of your pointer finger. Keep rubbing that spot for a slow count of 20. This point is specifically used to stimulate appetite in animals, and has the added advantage that most cats find it relaxing.

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had food aversion from me putting pills and medication in her food and I don't know why I did this but in a fit of half frustration I took a small spoonful and ate it myself in front of her like "see? I didn't spike your food." She then proceeded to eat it.

It tasted awful though... like chicken left on the bbq too long. Or really gamey pheasant. Not spoiled though just gamey.

Lessons learned, never give a cat medication in a spiked food, always pill the vet way.

Last edited:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neighbor and I were talking about this issue a few weeks ago. Her cats were getting picky. I suggested not feeding them so often (Yes I know that's a sin on here to even suggest not feeding them several times a day :lol: ).

I feed Boone and Gracie twice a day. Once before I go to work and once when I get home. Basically every 12 hours. I think that was really the key to getting them eat all the time. You know the old saying about kids... they will eat when they are hungry. Same applies to cats. I found feeding them 3-4 times a day gave them the opportunity to not eat certain meals because they knew more would be coming in a few hours.

The cats do have dry food available all the time but I barely see them eat it. Literally will hit the bowl for a few bites and walk away. They never eat it in large amounts like they are starving.

Neighbor tried feeding them only twice a day and reported to me yesterday that it is working out for her! Cats have adjusted easily to the new schedule and clean their bowls every meal because they have learned that food won't be magically appearing shortly.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FortiFlora….I’ve been reading, this is also used for cats that have diarrhea but my cat doesn’t have diarrhea and I don’t want to get her to be constipated if I use this appetite stimulant.
I only give her the baby food when she gets really bad at not eating. I know it’s not complete nourishment for her so I don’t feed it to her every day

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
FortiFlora….I’ve been reading, this is also used for cats that have diarrhea but my cat doesn’t have diarrhea and I don’t want to get her to be constipated if I use this appetite stimulant.
I only give her the baby food when she gets really bad at not eating. I know it’s not complete nourishment for her so I don’t feed it to her every day
Sodium free bone broth powder for making soups is actually the same thing without the medical elements. I've used it on occasion mixed with plain rice when my cats have diarrhea.