Any food suggestions to help with cat weight gain?

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hiya, I’ve heard a healthy weight for cats is about 10 pounds, and well, my house cat Molly is lower than that at 6 pounds exactly at his last vet visit. I’ve tried looking for foods at our local pet store to help him but haven’t found anything. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for stuff I could get on Amazon or something like that to help him out.

As for the cause of his weight loss, I would assume it’s the stress of his asthma and anemia getting to him. Any suggestions would be helpful, and sorry if this is in the wrong place. Couldn’t decide if it was nutrition or cat health.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How much do you feed him currently, does he have a good appetite? Look for a high protein food or kitten food is higher in calories than adult food and will be ok to feed for a short while.

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried giving your cat kitten food?
This kind of food can make your cat get fatter in a couple months also you can try to buy salmon oil because it makes the cat food looks delicious

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As for the cause of his weight loss, I would assume it’s the stress of his asthma and anemia getting to him.

Is your cat getting treatment for those? Asthma wouldn't cause weight loss but anemia possibly could. Has blood work been done recently? If not, you should have the vet do that. Blood work may reveal an underlying health issue that may be causing the weight loss. Dental issues can also cause weight loss because eating hurts.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree, check for all the possible health issues above, as well as treat for intestinal worms, as they can prevent weight gain as well.

I’ve heard a healthy weight for cats is about 10 pounds
There is no set healthy weight for cats. Each individual cat has a different healthy weight, depending on age, size and breed. There is every possibility that your cat is actually a healthy weight and doesn't need to gain - she may just be small. Check with your vet and a body scale chart such as this one: Body Score Chart

If she does indeed need to gain weight, raw/whole goats milk is a great probiotic for ultimate nutrient absorption and is high in saturated fats. Kitten food is also a great option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is your cat getting treatment for those? Asthma wouldn't cause weight loss but anemia possibly could. Has blood work been done recently? If not, you should have the vet do that. Blood work may reveal an underlying health issue that may be causing the weight loss. Dental issues can also cause weight loss because eating hurts.
He’s getting treated for the asthma but our vet basically just told us what anemia was and gave nothing for it. I tried giving him some iron drops to help but that weirdly seemed to make thing worse, although it could have just been horrible timing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten food and possibly goats milk. Got it. He’s a full grown adult cat slipping into the elderly years. I’m just more concerned cause I few months ago he was a little over 9 pounds.