Any Feedback on the iPrimio Litter Trapper Mat?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m hoping for feedback from any of you using the iPrimio litter trapper mat. I recently moved to a new, smaller place and have turned the second bathroom into the cats’ bathroom. Because they’re now walking out onto hardwood instead of carpet, I’m seeing a lot of litter being tracked through the house. I know it was there before, but I just couldn’t see it. :) And the carpet was catching it, too.

I’m using a number of strategies to deal with it (piece of shag carpet remnant in the bathroom and entry to the room, a Sofresh jute litter mat, more extensive daily vacuuming, etc.), but I’m also looking for additional solutions to catch more of the litter as they exit their boxes and leave the room. I’ve read dozens of descriptions and reviews of litter mats and think the iPrimio sounds promising. Any comments from current users of this mat?

(I’ll add that I’m happy with the litter we use—SmartCat grass—and the boxes. I’m not going to change anything there.)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I looked into that mat, but decided to try something else instead. I went with this
I LOVE it. It picks up all the litter and is so very easy to clean. I have 6 cats and bought these in various sizes and have even cut them to fit the area I need. Every other day, I just pick up the mat and put the collected litter back into the litter box. They are super easy to spray off to.

The only negative is they are rubber. So they have an odor when you first open them. It does decrease, but if you are sensitive to smell, some might be turned off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for responding, shadowsrescue shadowsrescue . And here’s why they make so many kinds of litter mats: I tried this one a couple of years ago and didn’t have any luck with it! :) It would never lie flat (it was curled at the end), smelled rubbery even after airing it outside for two weeks, but most importantly, my three cats wouldn’t walk on it. Sigh. Cats.

Ah, well. I guess I’ll have to give the iPrimio a try. Pricey but if it works it will be worth it. Well, if it helps. Two of mine are long haired so there’s always going to be some litter clinging to their toe floof.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I bought a similar mat, but don't love it. I use clumping litter though, so you won't have the same issue I do. Picture when the cat misses the box and there is clumping litter on the mat. Those little tiny holes fill up with litter cement. :cringe:

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I bought a similar mat, but don't love it. I use clumping litter though, so you won't have the same issue I do. Picture when the cat misses the box and there is clumping litter on the mat. Those little tiny holes fill up with litter cement. :cringe:
Hmm. SmartCat is a clumping grass litter, so it may not work. Although...currently none of the girls “overpees” their boxes.

I tried one of those woven mesh style mats that rate so highly a few years ago, and it was a huge pain to get the litter out of it. And you couldn’t wash it because the litter did what it’s designed to do: clumped into blobs solidified around the mesh. At that time I had an elderly cat who frequently missed the box. I had to throw the mat away. :ohwell:

I don’t think there’s a perfect solution. Different litters, different cats, changing strategies.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no experience with this, but just wanted to ask that you report back after trying because I also use Smart Cat and would be interested in a good mat!

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I have no experience with this, but just wanted to ask that you report back after trying because I also use Smart Cat and would be interested in a good mat!
Will do. I just need to decide what size. Here’s my setup in the new place. There’s a jute mat in front of the boxes on the left and a large carpet remnant I brought from the previous house. I cut out a notch so that it overlaps the threshold; a lot of litter was being caught there.
9BBE83B3-120B-40AF-9F3F-F7146938B59B.jpeg

Misty_Miffy_Moon

"What greater gift than the Love of a cat." --C.D.
Kitten
Purraise
I've never tried it. But I use this:

IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box with Cat Litter Scoop
1571413677222.png

It's awesome. I use wood pellets but it still helps a ton!!!!! Its pretty expensive though.$32.99.

If the litter mat worked as fine and was cheaper I'd have used it. But I think my cat likes the covered litter box better Lol. Be warned though: My cat now won't cover her poop. Haha.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Do you find that the carpet works better for you than a litter mat? I hadn't thought of trying carpet.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We have a Blackhole Cat Litter Mat, which is very similar to the iPrimio (double-layered with holes in the top layer), and it's the best I've tried. The holes trap most, though not all, of the tracked litter - I'd say >95% of the very fine litter we use-, and you can simply shake it back into the box or vacuum it. We've had it for nearly 5 1/2 years, and the corners haven't curled up at all.

Blackhole Cat Litter Mat - Super Size Rectangular 30" X 23" (Dark Gray) - Reviews

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have recently bought 3 of those mats, and have been happy with them. Had them for a few weeks. There is significantly less tracking after installing the mats. You can see the holes accumulate litter. I use it with clumping Tidy Cats. I love how only 1 side has a seam as they are easy to open, wipe down, and vacuum.

My only worry was my cats damaging the mat because they scratch on it occasionally in the beginning. They also are used to using on the ground cardboard scratchers and a door mat, in addition to their cat tree for scratching, so maybe they thought the litter mat was meant for scratching, too. They have seemed to slow down with trying to scratch it, and no damage has been seen yet.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I can see this being a good solution for cats that stand up to pee. Fortunately, my cats don’t! And two of them are too arthritic for a top-entry box. But thanks for the recommendation!
Do you find that the carpet works better for you than a litter mat? I hadn't thought of trying carpet.
I’m not sure about better, and it probably depends on the mat. I had the carpet scrap already so I’m giving it a try. My thought was that the shag might catch more of the litter, and it does seem to help. Also, I can’t see the litter pieces as well so at least that’s a plus! :) I’ll probably continue to use it for the threshold.
We have a Blackhole Cat Litter Mat, which is very similar to the iPrimio (double-layered with holes in the top layer), and it's the best I've tried. The holes trap most, though not all, of the tracked litter - I'd say >95% of the very fine litter we use-, and you can simply shake it back into the box or vacuum it. We've had it for nearly 5 1/2 years, and the corners haven't curled up at all.
Blackhole Cat Litter Mat - Super Size Rectangular 30" X 23" (Dark Gray) - Reviews
I saw you mention the Blackhole in an older thread, and that’s actually what led me down this path. I’ve read comparisons of the two and decided to go with the iPrimio because it’s stitched on one side only and, according to the reviews, the holes are a bit bigger. I’m encouraged that you’re continuing to recommend this type of mat!
I have recently bought 3 of those mats, and have been happy with them. Had them for a few weeks. There is significantly less tracking after installing the mats. You can see the holes accumulate litter. I use it with clumping Tidy Cats. I love how only 1 side has a seam as they are easy to open, wipe down, and vacuum.

My only worry was my cats damaging the mat because they scratch on it occasionally in the beginning. They also are used to using on the ground cardboard scratchers and a door mat, in addition to their cat tree for scratching, so maybe they thought the litter mat was meant for scratching, too. They have seemed to slow down with trying to scratch it, and no damage has been seen yet.
Great! Thanks for chiming in! I’m going to start with one in size large and then buy more if it seems to be working for my setup. None of mine are horizontal scratchers so hopefully that won’t be an issue.

Misty_Miffy_Moon

"What greater gift than the Love of a cat." --C.D.
Kitten
Purraise
I can see this being a good solution for cats that stand up to pee. Fortunately, my cats don’t! And two of them are too arthritic for a top-entry box. But thanks for the recommendation!
That's fine! I didn't know your cats were too arthritic. Your Welcome for the recommendation though! :)

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
A Azazel the mat came late yesterday afternoon, and here are some photos.

Here’s the mat after Iris used the box I put it in front of (so one litter-laden set of hairy kitty feet):
1A40A54C-29A1-4D94-A398-BE3C4A98676D.jpeg
0515017D-14C9-481C-B006-3731269D4110.jpeg
I just poured the litter back into the box and gave the mat a quick wipe.

And I thought you might also want to see what the shag carpet piece caught since yesterday.
27F4FA85-4C94-4239-9204-7C78BAC65D81.jpeg
Here’s a closeup of how “shaggy” it is.
7BC99E1B-D9D1-4E3F-A496-04CE17BAA0A6.jpeg

So I agree with W WillowMarie ’s assessment. I like that only one side is stitched and it caught a nice amount of litter. I’m going to buy a couple more as soon as I figure out the best placement for them. And I’m going to use them in conjunction with the carpet piece because it’s catching litter, too. The combo should reduce the tracking into the hallway and beyond!

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
A Azazel the mat came late yesterday afternoon, and here are some photos.

Here’s the mat after Iris used the box I put it in front of (so one litter-laden set of hairy kitty feet):
View attachment 304905
View attachment 304906
I just poured the litter back into the box and gave the mat a quick wipe.

And I thought you might also want to see what the shag carpet piece caught since yesterday.
View attachment 304907
Here’s a closeup of how “shaggy” it is.
View attachment 304908

So I agree with W WillowMarie ’s assessment. I like that only one side is stitched and it caught a nice amount of litter. I’m going to buy a couple more as soon as I figure out the best placement for them. And I’m going to use them in conjunction with the carpet piece because it’s catching litter, too. The combo should reduce the tracking into the hallway and beyond!
Nice, thanks for the update! I will consider purchasing one.