Any Experience With Methimazole Chews?

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give up on this cat. Face it some aren't worth the expense, the scratches, the bites the hissing and hiding. I knew that if Jeffery got sick, it was going to be hell getting medication to him and I've been trying to get thyroid medication to him twice a day now since Christmas. He's coming up with more ways to hide and injuring us when we do manage to hold him.

He barely is tame in the first place and finds new ways to hide and fight back. And this is liquid. I saw that the transdermal gel is STILL in a syringe, so that's not going to work either. It just proves that it doesn't matter one bit what you feed or how a great a home you provide, some cats just aren't all that attached.

Last edited:

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats don’t like being medicated. Maybe give him a treat or two after? It might make things easier...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes. I'm well aware. I medicate 3 cats twice a day. One with cisapride and two for hyperthyroid.

What I am saying is this cat is not motivated by domesticated cat rewards. He wants nothing to do with me and as of today he darts to avoid interacting with me at all. I'm not willing to chase an animal around twice a day if the cat is so obviously terrified of the process. My presence negates any sort of treat after. Period.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The transdermal gel is in a syringe for dosing; you squeeze the correct amount onto your gloved finger and apply it to alternate ears (left for one application, right for the next).

Have you tried a thyroid pill in a dab of liverwurst? If you have 3 or 4 dabs, one containing the little pill, you can often sneak the med into a difficult cat. Cottage or spray cheese works with some cats, too.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The transdermal gel is in a syringe for dosing; you squeeze the correct amount onto your gloved finger and apply it to alternate ears (left for one application, right for the next).

Have you tried a thyroid pill in a dab of liverwurst? If you have 3 or 4 dabs, one containing the little pill, you can often sneak the med into a difficult cat. Cottage or spray cheese works with some cats, too.
I'll try that. He went for the pill pockets at first, and then no. I had to get a prescription for compounding because normal pilling is not an option for this cat.

If he were reliably eating canned food, that would be something I would try. I'll try the liverwurst. He used to be okay with baby food, but that was one of the things I was offering to him when he was nauseous and now it and the normal canned foods are a no-go with him. He'll only eat the kibble the vet sent home. I'm going to try sprinkling the fortiflora. I've tried toppers of bonito flakes (anything to get him re-focused on wet foods) dried chicken crumbles (works like a charm on everyone else.

I have a few pills. The primary medication is compounded liquid.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I usually put the liverwurst, cheese, fish paste, whatever, on a little saucer rather than in a regular food dish to give the cat the idea that it's a special yummy ritual. I had to do that with our last cat's heart meds and have found it works well with the shelter cats, especially about 30 minutes before their regular feeding time. If there are multiple cats in the room, each one gets a saucer, but only one has the spiked treat, of course

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update good! Things are going better with my sometimes frustrating kitty Jeffery. He started showing interest again in some canned foods and so I put the medication on a dab of Fancy Feast then sprinkle Fortiflora on the food. He eats it. And now he's eating the other canned food with the supplementation of the dry kibble they sent him home with. I took him in today to see if the medication level was appropriate. Haven't heard back yet, but he gained 2 pounds in a month! He had lost quite a bit of weight, so we were happy about that.

He's a little more relaxed and doesn't hide from us. Hopefully this method will continue to work!