Any day now

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_20211024_180517559~2.jpg
IMG_20211022_183657790~2.jpg

This is Delilah. I was wanting another cat, so I was on the lookout for one needing a home. A kind lady found this kitty and had been caring for her, but wasn't allowed to have her at her apartment. Soon, it became evident that the kitty was pregnant. She put the word out that she needed a real home, and probably pregnant. I offered to take her. She's so sweet! I'm really glad she's the cat I ended up with.

I predicted she had about 3 weeks to go when I brought her home. It's been almost 4, and this poor girl is about to pop. She's huge! She's still eating constantly. She was pretty scrawny when I got her, and she's filled out since then, so all the kitten food is helping both her and the babies.

She has about 4 nest options, the likes the cardboard box in the closet the best. Typical cat 😂.

I think she must only have another day or 2 left. I'll keep everyone posted.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is beautiful! Thank you for giving her a home!

We’ll look forward to your updates!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many days later... Still no babies! I can't believe it, she's huge! I've grown up with cats having kittens, neighbors cats, friends, kittens everywhere. I've never seen a cat so big. I'm guessing it'll be a big litter. I have kitten milk replacer on hand if I need to help her out. Otherwise, not much to do but wait. I put up a camera so I can watch her when I'm at work.

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it'll be today. She spent yesterday between an old dog crate and the cabinet that I put a bed in. Last night, she came up on my bed, which she'd never done before. She's extremely affectionate and needy. This morning when I woke up she wasn't in any of her usual spots. I found her under my bed. She went back under after greeting me this morning and before I went to work, she'd gone back into the dog crate. Prior to yesterday, she spent most of her time in a box in the closet. I hope she has them in the crate and not under the bed, because my bed is nearly impossible to move or get under.

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup, it's today! 😻

3 new babies when I got home from work. The youngest still pretty wet. 2 tuxedos and a tabby. More to come, I'm sure. She doesn't want me helping. She loves me, but when I go in there she is torn between coming to me for love and going in with her babies, so she goes back and forth.

And she had them in the crate, so that's perfect.

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She had 6 total, one was stillborn, she seems done. 3 are 100+ grams, I've is 96g, one is only 85g. She's a real feisty one, so hopefully she'll be ok. I'll keep an eye on her. I gave Delilah some KMR, she liked it. I have powdered goat milk also, is one better than the other for her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are they all latching and nursing, especially the runt?

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, and gaining. Yesterday evening to this morning runt is 110, the middle ones are 110-115, the big one that was 115 yesterday is 132. I'll get more detailed official weights today after work. Yesterday was crazy, this morning I was in a hurry. They're doing very well.

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't been weighing them daily, because they've been doing so well and Delilah doesn't like it, but I weighed them today for their weekly check in. I read that they should double their weight at birth. They all did that except Licorice, who was 85g at birth. She's 234! Gobstopper was 115 at birth and is 230 today. The "runt" surpassed the biggest one. The middle kids were 96 -100g at birth, and they're all around 200.

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They're 4 weeks old now, cute little things 🥰. Licorice is staying here, her name is Luna, now. She's the sweetest little thing!

Had an old acquaintance message me on Facebook. She has a litter only 3 days older than mine, and Mama cat took off and has been gone 3 days. Most are eating, but 2 are struggling. I didn't think Delilah could take on 5 more babies, but 2 is manageable. They'll be here tonight. My babies just started eating a slurry of canned kitten food and KMR, so that'll ease the burden on Delilah.

The 4 week photos
IMG_20211201_140811627~2.jpg
jpg_20211201_145118_0000.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her cat will be back and pregnant. She went into heat and took off. Please advise your friend to get her cat spayed as soon as she returns.

That is very generous of you to take on 2 of her kittens. They definitely need a mama, and I hope she’ll be back soon. We’d love pictures of the newbies!

By the way, black cats have super sweet personalities! Glad you are keeping one!