Any Cross-stichers out here?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the best software proggy for converting images to x-stich?

PC Stitch seems to be a popular one..... anyone have any reviews of it?

How bout links to free patterns?

Let's talk x-stich people
I hope there's more interested than just me.

I'd be happy to share patterns (exchange,etc.) as well.

Oh, and I'm also looking for a good online source for pattern books and supplies. (I am in need of some coloured aida)

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to love to do cross stitch. I have been think about starting again. I also used to knit, crochet and sew.
now you have me started , I think I need a trip to the craft store

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do cross stitch. I used to do a lot of it when I worked night shift. But now that I don't work nights, and the lighting in my home is not really conducive to fine needlepoint, I haven't picked up my project in about 6 or 7 years. I will finish it one day though!!! Here is what I'm working on. I just have 1/2 of the bottom border, the bottom right corner, the right border, the upper right corner and the right 1/2 of the top border to finish. All the rest is stitched and outlined.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That is gorgeous Linda..... Very nice work.

I don't have any pics of mine as I gave them for gifts and never thought of taking pics. I did a few xmas stockings (they were lots of work) I do have a couple half finished pieces that are bout 10yrs old now

I had to get out of doing cross stich because of my many hand/arm issues, but I'm just recently wanting to get back into it
I won't be doing anything large right off the bat, but I'm trying to ease myself back into it.... see how my hands handle it, but I'm betting that I won't be able to do a lengthy period.

Walmart had a big thing of floss on special, so I bought it in hopes of finding a conversion chart..... unfortunately I haven't been able to find one. The thread is Iris brand. Worst case, I can use it for friendship bracelets or simple x-stich pieces.

Here's a free pattern site: http://www.free-cross-stitch-pattern.com/index.php

I really like this butterfly pattern:

http://www.free-cross-stitch-pattern...s/photos40.php

What are your favorite types of patterns x-stichers?

I like realistic animals, fantasy, landscapes/scenery, cherubs, xmas designs.... well, there's alot I like, but fantasy and landscapes would be my favorites.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to alot as a child... should get back into it

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have PC Stitch and I like it, you can even program in what floss colours you have and it will make you a list of ones you need.

I have a tone of original cross stitch patterns but if you need a particular image the program works great.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was trying to find a conversion chart from Iris to DMC but couldn't find anything out there. Is Iris used for cross stitch or machine embroidery?

I've done a lot of baby, christmas and kitchen cross stitch over the years. I entered an original design in a contest one time and got an honorable mention. It was the album cover for Jimmy Buffett's Lats and Atts album.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I have PC Stitch and I like it, you can even program in what floss colours you have and it will make you a list of ones you need.
Thanks
I do think I will order it

Originally Posted by Momofmany

I was trying to find a conversion chart from Iris to DMC but couldn't find anything out there. Is Iris used for cross stitch or machine embroidery?
I just looked, it says "Giant Pak Embroidery Floss" Iris Super sheen Cotton made by Hilos Iris.

http://www.meijer.com/catalog/produc...oductId=119058

I don't think its for machines, on the pack it has a 2 free x-stich patterns.

But I've looked for the conversion charts and can't find one either

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to do it but I would always get bored in the middle and I don't think I finished anything. Well, maybe a few Christmas ornaments but that's about it. Of course, that was when I was in my early 20's so maybe I should try it again.

My mom used to really be into it and did some amazing pieces! I still have one that she did of a lighthouse and my dad had it framed behind glass. You have to get really close to it to see that it is actually cross stitch and not a painting. She also did one of The Last Supper on black canvas that about made her go crosseyed but it was beautiful.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to, a lot, and so did my husband. As a matter of fact, we've got a couple of his peices framed here in our home. I'm not sure if I have the patience these days...never mind the time. But somewhere around here I have a piece about half done, is a street scene with about six different buildings on it, really pretty, just very unfinished, lol!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to cross stich, and have done it for years. The last project I started was to be a wedding sampler for my niece who's getting married in Oct. I discovered that my eyes are what they used to be and am having a really hard time with it. I've tried one of those magnifiers that hang around your neck, and found it to be a waste of money.
I'd really like to keep stitching; does anyone have one of those 'sit-on-the-floor' magnifying lamps? If so, do they work well?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I'd really like to keep stitching; does anyone have one of those 'sit-on-the-floor' magnifying lamps? If so, do they work well?
I do not, but in a few yrs I may need one as well.

I'm trying to find some stores (online or otherwise) for x-stiching supplies... aside from Micheals, can anyone give me some names or urls for stores or online supplies? (supplies meaning: aida, floss, tools, etc.)

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I'm another that used to do it a lot but can't remember the last time I picked up a needle... my mom was heavily into it too and we've both done some pretty large pieces... I also did nice hooped pieces for family and friends of their cats/dogs and personalized each with the pets' names. I'm not sure if my mom has a program or not... she had the Penn State official seal converted to a pattern for my uncle's grad gift ('87) and mine ('07) but I think she took it somewhere to be done back then.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found some supplies yesterday

I really need to find a good source for bulk packs of floss (even a noname brand, as long as it can be converted to DMC since most patterns are DMC)

I found something else to do with embroidery floss, I'm hoping someone can tell me what it is called cuz I forget: You need a special tool, I think its called a "Push" something..... you push the floss through aida like material so its bout 1/8" stuck up....and make a pattern...

like x-stich, only its raised...

does anyone know what its called????? I saw the kits at Micheals and it looked need (they had an example hanging in the aisle)

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The x-stich fairy visited me via the postal service. Lots of new (to me) magazines....tons.... I'm going to be busy for a while.

A HUGE thanks to the x-stch fairy

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How exciting for the cross stitch fairy to visit!!! Here's a site I like a lot

http://www.nordicneedle.com/

I LOOOOVE to cross stitch, and I'm going to print out that butterfly. A friend here on TCS made a beautiful pattern of my first Smudge to cross stitch, which is one of my "in progress" pieces. I even have my floss list on HTML so I can see if from work, the store, etc!

ETA: Here's another project I'm working on! http://www.serendipitydesigns.com/Ma..._nativity.html