Any Alternatives To Rad Cat?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope someone comes up with something soon! I don't have a raw food co op even though I live near a big city in the US. How do they keep the bacteria off the meat? Can a butcher shop do this? I would be willing to make her food if it could stay raw and I didn't have to worry about the bacteria. I wonder if this is an exaggerated problem made up by the vets and dry food folks! Why do you have to grind it if you ware not adding bones?

Right now I am using Signature Rabbit & Chicken and Darwin's. The Signature is these little grey round things that don't look good at all. I wonder why they are grey. The Darwin's looks better but has bone (like the rest), carbs and things I can not pronounce. That is never a good sign! I bought some Primal and had to return it. My girl was found starving before I got her so normally she eats in 30 sec but not so with Primal.
The bacteria fear is an exaggerated problem. All raw meat has bacteria. We feed it to cats because they have highly acidic and short digestive tracts that can handle it.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope someone comes up with something soon! I don't have a raw food co op even though I live near a big city in the US. How do they keep the bacteria off the meat? Can a butcher shop do this? I would be willing to make her food if it could stay raw and I didn't have to worry about the bacteria. I wonder if this is an exaggerated problem made up by the vets and dry food folks! Why do you have to grind it if you ware not adding bones?

Right now I am using Signature Rabbit & Chicken and Darwin's. The Signature is these little grey round things that don't look good at all. I wonder why they are grey. The Darwin's looks better but has bone (like the rest), carbs and things I can not pronounce. That is never a good sign! I bought some Primal and had to return it. My girl was found starving before I got her so normally she eats in 30 sec but not so with Primal.
Raw meat will have bacteria period. But using actual pieces of meat to make food is fine. As long as you don't buy pre ground meat. Ground stuff has a lot of surface area for the bacteria to grow on.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't get the lamb because it is so fattening and my little one is already over weight. Did you notice the carbs and strange ingredients?

Carbs?...there won't be many, if any, carbs in it since it is 98% meat. The "strange ingredients" you mentioned are added vitamins and minerals to make the food nutritionally complete.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Khrad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found a company called Bobcats on the feline nutrition website that does raw with eggshell. But they're only offering chicken at this time.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just realized I'm down to my last 5 tubs of Rad Cat. By the end of the year, we'd better be on something else. She likes the taste of EZ Complete well enough but I think the inclusion of digestive enzymes is not going to work for her. I'm not certain yet. But it seems whenever I've tried to give her digestive enzymes with her food, she would look rough afterwards. I ordered a sample of Better Than Raw. I'm also going to the raw food coop today to see what they have in terms of supplements.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I talked to Darwin’s about the bone in their food both on the phone and sent an email. I told them to look at this site to see the concern we have for the amount of bone in their products and that they had an opportunity here. On both occasions they said that they were not willing to change their recipes and that veterinarians had helped with the products.