Any advice - Hot weather or new house?

thelittlewraith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Just posting a quick question in hopes of getting some advice. The tl;dr is - which would be more stressful for my nervous cat, extreme heat or a temporary move?

Maggie is a semi-feral who's been with me for a year and a half. She's a real snuggle bug now and very attached to me, but it took several months to reach this point (as in, she wouldn't let me touch her for 3+ months) and she's still very cautious around other people. She gets spooked easily, especially around men. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't consider taking her anywhere new.

However. I live (alone) in a third-floor apartment with no central air that retains heat like an oven. I've got a bunch of fans and a crappy portable A/C unit, but even so last summer was stupid hot and there were a few days I seriously worried about Maggie's health. There's currently a heat warning in effect in my area for the next three days for temperatures in the mid-30s (celsius) and nearing 40 with humidity. I've ordered another window AC unit, but it won't arrive for a few weeks.

I have the option to take Maggie to my parents for the week. They live 20 minutes away in a house with central air. Maggie likes my sister and my mom ok, but is still nervous around my dad. They also have an energetic lab (who has lived with a cat before, but not in recent years). I could keep Maggie confined to the office where I sleep.

Obviously every cat is different, but does anyone have any advice or experience with this? I should note that the foster home Maggie originally lived in had several other cats and dogs, so even though she's alone here with me I don't think it would be totally new to her. She's just very skittish and I don't want to traumatize her or damage our relationship. I know cats might tolerate the heat a bit better than humans, but I think this is pushing it. Other friends with cats seem to have no qualms about bringing their pets on trips with them, but other friends don't have cowards like I do. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the option to take Maggie to my parents for the week. They live 20 minutes away in a house with central air. Maggie likes my sister and my mom ok, but is still nervous around my dad. They also have an energetic lab (who has lived with a cat before, but not in recent years). I could keep Maggie confined to the office where I sleep.
Can I ask you how Maggie did the last time she went to your parents?
You mention being nervous around your dad, which may be normal for her, since it could be the tone of voice, how he walks, scent, etc.
Really it could be a lot of things.

I would definitely keep her confined.
Has she ever met the lab dog before?

Also can you guess estimate Maggie's age?

(I kind of worry about your health and comfort in temps that high. Especially if it's high humidity.)
Like you said, every cat will be different, so it's hard to say, ...but what you wrote about Maggie getting used to you is all quite normal in the big scheme of time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thelittlewraith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can I ask you how Maggie did the last time she went to your parents?
You mention being nervous around your dad, which may be normal for her, since it could be the tone of voice, how he walks, scent, etc.
Really it could be a lot of things.

I would definitely keep her confined.
Has she ever met the lab dog before?

Also can you guess estimate Maggie's age?

(I kind of worry about your health and comfort in temps that high. Especially if it's high humidity.)
Like you said, every cat will be different, so it's hard to say, ...but what you wrote about Maggie getting used to you is all quite normal in the big scheme of time.
Thanks for your reply! Yes, I should have included that! Maggie is roughly 2.5 years old. She's pretty small, just over 7lbs.

And this is my fault for not being clear - she's never been to my parents' place, but my family has come here to visit me several times. Maggie has only been at my home and to the vet since I adopted her. I think she'd met a few labs at her foster home? My main concern is bringing her to a new place with lots of people and sounds and stressing her out, especially since it would only be for a short period of time.

The heat definitely isn't ideal. I'll be running the portable AC, but it's not super effective and unfortunately the sound also scares the crap out of Maggie.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would have her stay with you. The dog would be a deal breaker for me. I realize she has been around dogs before, but still....

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you take her to your parents' house, I think it is imperative that she have a secure room that she never leaves with feeding and litter box cleaning done either by you or under very controlled circumstances.One false move and she could run out in an unfamiliar neighborhood and be lost forever, especially as a former feral.

Would she lay on a cooling mat? Very popular in the dog world? Ice bucket in front of a table fan unless that does not work with humidity? I think that she is safest with you, especially if you are going to get a new AC.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I should have included that! Maggie is roughly 2.5 years old. She's pretty small, just over 7lbs.

And this is my fault for not being clear - she's never been to my parents' place, but my family has come here to visit me several times. Maggie has only been at my home and to the vet since I adopted her. I think she'd met a few labs at her foster home? My main concern is bringing her to a new place with lots of people and sounds and stressing her out, especially since it would only be for a short period of time.
Ahh, she is fairly young, then.
I find that when people come over, it's fairly normal for some cats to not like it, and run and hide...especially since they need more times to adjust.

I think it''s hard because you won't ever know until you try.
Yes, Maggie will be stressed...and will hate being there...but if you are with her in the room, and bring her favourite things, blankets, toys, her litterbox, your clothes, etc....then she may be okay.
Keeping her confined to one room, which would be her 'safe room' with you in it, ....may be okay for her.

Trying it for part of the day, ....is another option....if you have easy access to drive there and back.
It would be similar to going to the Vet, I imagine....yet easier since no Vet smells or animals crying.
The plus side is that it is only 20 minutes away...and if you drive....then that is not so long.
If you have to take public transit...then that would add to the stress for her.

I would keep her in a carrier, or dog crate, and keep it covered at first so that she may feel that she is in her own den.
The heat definitely isn't ideal. I'll be running the portable AC, but it's not super effective and unfortunately the sound also scares the crap out of Maggie
For the sounds....can you try something else to produce 'white noise' for the background.
Say some music, or t.v. on with gentle nature sounds....babbling brooks, rain, or waves.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with Fiona'smom that she is safest with you. She'll be fine. I live in the tropics and have had cats in my home with no power during 90 degree heat during hurricanes and they are fine. Water is key. Also, if the sound of the ac freaks her out like you said, I would run the fans instead.

There is way in **** I would leave my cat (especially a semi-feral) in a strange house with an "energetic" large dog unless it was a life-threatening emergency and I had no choice.

thelittlewraith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your replies. Many good points were raised, and I decided to spend the day at my place.

I kept the blinds and curtains closed and had fans running all day, and the AC going in the bedroom from about noon on. These things kept the temperature inside tolerable, I think - it's hard to tell, but I'd guess it stayed under 30°C inside. We did hit 40 with humidity outside after all, though!

Maggie mostly lazed about all day, lying on the hardwood floor with occasional naps on the sofa. I do actually have a cooling pad for her, and she used it a few times but didn't really seek it out. There was no panting or sweating through paws, so I think I can assume the rest is normal heat wave behaviour?

Tomorrow is supposed to be hotter but the heat will break by the weekend, so the current plan is to tough it out in my little oven for now. I haven't ruled out my parent"s place entirely, but if general consensus is that Maggie is face, I'll hold off for the foreseeable future

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie mostly lazed about all day, lying on the hardwood floor with occasional naps on the sofa. I do actually have a cooling pad for her, and she used it a few times but didn't really seek it out. There was no panting or sweating through paws, so I think I can assume the rest is normal heat wave behaviour?
That sounds pretty good. I didn't even know that 'cooling mats' were an option, until fionasmom fionasmom mentioned it.
(I've heard of 'heating pads' but never 'cooling pads'. Wow. That sounds useful for certain times.)

One of my friend's cats will go sleep in the bathtub, and a previous dog I had would lay by the toilet bowl, in the bathroom to cool down.
I think animals are highly intelligent.
(Though, I do question my big black lab/retriever mix, whenever he lays in the middle of anywhere, or on extremely cold concrete/tile floors, rain puddles, or in the sun at times. I know it must feel good, but still...)
Tomorrow is supposed to be hotter but the heat will break by the weekend, so the current plan is to tough it out in my little oven for now. I haven't ruled out my parent"s place entirely, but if general consensus is that Maggie is face, I'll hold off for the foreseeable future
Your Maggie does sound fine.
When I get too hot, I just like to think of snow, and ski slopes, and ice and cool water, cool winds, cool beaches and such.
(No thinking about ovens, or cooking, or bbq's....just cold sandwiches, cool drinks, microwave, cold cereal, fruit...etc.)
I hope you and Maggie both do well, and don't have to move around a lot.

The good part is that heat waves hopefully don't last too long, and sometimes the nights are cooler.
If you are in a place with many climates, ...then you can complain about the heat, but also complain about rain, clouds, cold and snow.
Just think pleasant thoughts about your ideal temperatures. (Mine is like 23*C to 26*C...but no humidity. I hate humidity.)

I think that 'sweet black paws' mentioned that 'water is key'. That is so true.
Hope your week goes well.

thelittlewraith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my friend's cats will go sleep in the bathtub, and a previous dog I had would lay by the toilet bowl, in the bathroom to cool down.
I think animals are highly intelligent.
(Though, I do question my big black lab/retriever mix, whenever he lays in the middle of anywhere, or on extremely cold concrete/tile floors, rain puddles, or in the sun at times. I know it must feel good, but still...)
I'd like to think my cat is smart, but...she spent all day today sleeping on the floor of the warmest room in the house. I do have tile in the bathroom and kitchen, but for whatever reason she wasn't into it and stayed on the warm hardwood. I did wipe her down a few times with cool water, but aside from being super lethargic I don't think she displayed any signs of being in danger. I assume/hope it's normal for cats to sleep all day in high heat?

The good part is that heat waves hopefully don't last too long, and sometimes the nights are cooler.
If you are in a place with many climates, ...then you can complain about the heat, but also complain about rain, clouds, cold and snow.
Just think pleasant thoughts about your ideal temperatures. (Mine is like 23*C to 26*C...but no humidity. I hate humidity.)
This is a short heat wave, all things considered, but it's way too early in the season for it. Though I can and do complain about all weather! I'm Canadian, and in my city winters are brutal and summers are hot as hell. Hopefully my second AC unit will arrive soon.

As for the water... I'd say Maggie is not drinking any more than usual. Unfortunately right now she's on a hypoallergenic diet, so I can't add any wet food. I'll just have to hope that she keeps herself hydrated!

Thanks for your advice!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my experience, living in the tropics, they seem oddly tolerant to it. The times power has gone out, I was miserable, but my cats always seemed chilled out.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to think my cat is smart, but...she spent all day today sleeping on the floor of the warmest room in the house. I do have tile in the bathroom and kitchen, but for whatever reason she wasn't into it and stayed on the warm hardwood. I did wipe her down a few times with cool water, but aside from being super lethargic I don't think she displayed any signs of being in danger. I assume/hope it's normal for cats to sleep all day in high heat?
Yeah, I would think it's very normal for cats to sleep all day, and only get up for food or litter box use.
But when it's super hot, I find my cats like to laze around and sleep, or move as minimally as possible until it gets a little cooler.
It makes sense. Moving causes too much heat build up.

I think our cats know how to self regulate their temperatures, and instinctively know the best places for them to sleep.
Even if some of the places seem a little odd to us.

(One of mine will go into a dark wardrobe/closet, and sleep on the floor. He likes the dark.
The other likes beds, but if it's hot, will sleep on wooden floors too. Strangely, though, she likes the second floor, where it's warmer, not cooler like the basement. They are both 5 years old.)
This is a short heat wave, all things considered, but it's way too early in the season for it. Though I can and do complain about all weather! I'm Canadian, and in my city winters are brutal and summers are hot as hell. Hopefully my second AC unit will arrive soon.

As for the water... I'd say Maggie is not drinking any more than usual. Unfortunately right now she's on a hypoallergenic diet, so I can't add any wet food. I'll just have to hope that she keeps herself hydrated!

Thanks for your advice!
I'm canadian too, and it's kind of like our pastime to "complain about all weather". :blush:
(I think they used to say we would complain about weather and hockey...but I think it's more like weather and news, now.)
It does not help to listen to t.v. news, and the weather person makes every forecast seem like the worst thing ever. I just have to stop watching, and just get the forecast on my smartphone, now.)

I don't think my cats are drinking extra water either, but as long as it's fresh and always available then that's good.

I think your Maggie will be okay.
As long as she eats her food, and she probably drinks at night, when you don't see her.
You'll know when you clean her litter box,...that usually tells you the most.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't feel good about leaving the cats in the heat like that. I figure, if I'm very uncomfortable they are at least a little uncomfortable! When I leave the apartment we leave the AC at 78 for them. One time the AC went out and humans were miserable. The cats were laying around on the laminate floor more. That little sign told me they too were hot.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't feel good about leaving the cats in the heat like that. I figure, if I'm very uncomfortable they are at least a little uncomfortable! When I leave the apartment we leave the AC at 78 for them. One time the AC went out and humans were miserable. The cats were laying around on the laminate floor more. That little sign told me they too were hot.

thelittlewraith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm canadian too, and it's kind of like our pastime to "complain about all weather". :blush:
(I think they used to say we would complain about weather and hockey...but I think it's more like weather and news, now.)
It does not help to listen to t.v. news, and the weather person makes every forecast seem like the worst thing ever. I just have to stop watching, and just get the forecast on my smartphone, now.)
Oh so you get it, then! :p I've really dialed back watching the news, it got to be too much after a while. But things are starting to change a bit, so perhaps it's time to tune back in and find something else to complain about lol.

I think your Maggie will be okay.
As long as she eats her food, and she probably drinks at night, when you don't see her.
You'll know when you clean her litter box,...that usually tells you the most.
Thank you so much for the reassurances. She used the litter box normally, and I spotted her drinking out of a second water bowl I had elsewhere, so maybe she's just too sneaky for me.

Well I don't feel good about it either, but unfortunately I have limited options, and central air isn't one of them. The heat has broken a bit, thankfully, so hopefully my window AC will arrive before the next heat wave.