Any additional pilling suggestions?

Twocoastscat

Crabbycat
Young Cat
Purraise
I have read tons of suggestions online, on this site and others, regarding how to give a cat meds but am looking for further suggestions.
Cat is impossible to handle at vet - vicious and aggressive and they cannot handle him - so she gave him gabapentin to try before appts - 200 mg night before and 200 mg two hours before visit.
So far have tried:
Tuna water - worked perfectly the first time when I opened gabapentin capsules and mixed it in when I was just trying to see what effect it had on him. He vomited two hours after but it did sedate him. Vet prescribed Cerenia for the next time to counteract the nausea. One month later when I really need it the night before a vet visit, no dice - so then I tried:
Mixing with his regular canned food - nope;
Mixing it with ham baby food - wouldn’t touch it;
Mixing it with lickable cat treats tuna and salmon flavors - nope, wouldn’t touch it;
Have previously tried Pill pockets - worked once a few years ago, second time, no way;
Re the Cerenia - Coated pill in butter - licked around it, finally just had to shove it down his throat while my son held him;
I bought a pill popper but it seems as if the gaba capsule is kind of large to just shove in the back of his throat?
So I have to give him gaba again tomorrow AM before the vet and don’t know how I’m going to get it into him. I was told not to feed him tomorrow AM and have an early appt so hoping he’ll be hungry enough to take it with some tuna.
By now you may be wondering why I keep this guy - but this is him sleeping next to me in bed and he’s been my cat for 13 years. I know his behavior is fear-based aggression but I have to be able to take him to a vet. I had one come to the house to the tune of $600! He and his assistant wrangled him but it was pretty ugly.
image.jpg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a pill popper but it seems as if the gaba capsule is kind of large to just shove in the back of his throat?
Sometimes, you just have to do it. It might not be much fun but it's either that or a sick cat.

And, yes, a regular sized capsule CAN just be shoved down the throat. You might not think so but I've done worse.

Years ago, when I was a kid one of my father's hunting dogs needed meds. I don't remember what the pills (if you could call them that) were for but they were green, shaped like a small egg and they were about the size of a "jawbreaker" gumball. You'd never think you could get a dog to swallow one! Especially not a dog the size of a German Shepherd!

My father showed me how to do it... Just the way you think it's done. Open the mouth, shove the pill in then hold the mouth shut until the dog swallows. It wasn't a fun task, any way you say it but, if a ten year old kid can do it, you can do it.

If you can't do it that way, maybe there's a liquid form of the meds you need. You can squirt it in the mouth with a syringe. There's also transdermal preparations but I don't know the particulars of liquids or transdermals. I'm, mainly, just supposing at this point.

The only other way I know is by injection but that's usually not a good option. It takes a trained person to do. Usually a vet or a trained vet tech. It's difficult to get the dose right and overdoses can be deadly. Basically, only for dire emergency situations. Otherwise, it's like shooting flies with a proverbial Howitzer.

It's not nice to say but I think it's better to suck it up and just make the cat take his pills. There really aren't many viable alternatives, at this point.

Either that or the cat has a hard time at the vet or else he doesn't go at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twocoastscat

Crabbycat
Young Cat
Purraise
Sigh - you’re right, thanks. No way could he be tricked into taking it in anything this morning. So once again son held him while I shoved the pill down his throat. I used to have to pill my former cat daily and could do it alone. But he weighed about five lbs. less than this guy and wasn’t quite as fierce. No idea why this one is like this - fostered from birth and adopted at 12 weeks. OTOH he’s adapted to a lot in the past two years - losing an owner (my late husband,) living with a golden retriever, tolerating (barely) another cat in the house, moving 3000 miles across the country, staying in five different places as we traveled and moved, etc. He’s snippy to the parade of foster dogs we acquire in the house from time to time but that just teaches the dogs who rules.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It may or may not work any better than pill pockets, but I have also used Tomyln Pill Masker. It is a paste that can be formed around a pill using as small of an amount as possible. The one I have is bacon flavored. I also cut pill pockets in half so I can use the least amount that is needed so that Feeby will eat it without biting into it. Gabapentin is pretty much nasty tasting in any form. The other thing I have done is roll the pill pocket piece or pill masker in Forti Flora, if Feeby is being particularly resistant.

Someone on this site said their cat doesn't do well with the Greenie's pill pockets but will eat the pockets that they can buy through the vet. Not sure what the difference is, but it might be something you could look into.

Lastly, you could try using the Hill's A/D recovery food that you can buy from the vet, lay a capsule on a carpeted type of surface and syringe the A/D food on top of it to see if your cat would eat the food well enough to ingest the capsule at the same time.
I haven't tried this approach, but am keeping it in my 'back pocket' for possible future use.

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We used to have to gabapentin our previous cat Nilla to take her to the vet. She didn't try to kill anyone, but she would not cooperate. She was also impossible to pill - wiggly (and I have arthritis in my fingers). What worked for me was to take a pill pocket, take about 1/3 - 1/2 and mash it down flat on my countertop - thin, but not thin enough to see through. Then I'd wrap the pill in it and cram it in her throat. She was a small dainty cat, so a big guy can definitely take a big gabapentin capsule that way. As long as he doesn't try to bite you! We would gabapentin her the night before (if the apppointment was in the morning), and then 2 hrs before her appointment in the morning. By the time I needed to put her in the carrier, she was slowed down enough to be able to get her in there without too much drama (she'd still try to avoid it though). Also, you might want to try this as well - use a hard carrier that is large for your cat - set it on the back, so that the door to the carrier is at the top, open it and gently drop him in - IF the gabapentin is successful and he is moving slow enough to get all those legs in there. You also may want to call around if you have multiple vets close by and see if there is a vet that can handle an aggressive cat. Some vets are great at it - our old vet was so good with Nilla. She was very experienced with scaredy cats and aggresive cats (they had plenty of stories of "Ebony, the cats from H*LL"). Even with the gabapentin, it would take 2 vets techs and the vet to get anything done with Nilla without mild sedation on top of the gabapentin.

Twocoastscat

Crabbycat
Young Cat
Purraise
Jeter also happens to be a black cat and I’m sure he’s the worst they’ve seen. After 200 mg of gaba the night before and another 200 the next morning he was definitely quieter in the waiting room but the minute we got into the exam room and were going to get him out he went full-on ballistic and there was no way to get him out. I gave my consent to sedate him after reviewing the risks (since she couldn’t do any exam before sedation) and they were very wary about attempting to treat him but were eventually able to safely do so. Since he was sedated, the vet suggested full labs and dental check and he ended up with three teeth extracted d/t resorption - which I had never heard of and since researching it I don’t honestly think he was showing clear symptoms. So now he’s on bupe for pain - thankfully easy to administer - and pretty dazed but he has eaten - and for the next vet visit she prescribed trazodone in addition to 100 mg gaba. Frankly I am willing to try it once - but if it’s the same scenario I’m back to square one. I think my choices at that point would be to use the meds but for a home vet visit to see if that goes any better or to just not take him to vet. I have been a vigilant pet owner all my life but this is really an extreme situation. I can’t find a recommended cat-only vet (I live near LA and there are some but the reviews aren’t great) and I’m not sure how helpful that would be anyway.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
Remember any unwanted behavior at the vet is pure fear, not aggression. See if you can find a cat friendly certified practice. There are several cat only vets in your area but I don’t know them personally.

What needs to happen is you give the Gabapentin and trazadone at home. For travel cover the carrier with a felaway sprayed towel. When he gets to the office, he is immediately taken into an exam room. Top is taken off the carrier, so make sure you have a carrier with an easy to remove top, and he is given an intramuscular injection of an anesthetic. He waits with you in his carrier until the drugs take effect, he is examined and he goes home.

To do anything else is wrong. Every single time this cat is fought with or wrangled, it is causing him to be more fearful. He doesn’t know that they aren’t trying to kill him.

There is a good cat hospital in Valley Center, but that is San Diego county and probably to far.

Twocoastscat

Crabbycat
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I really appreciate your compassion because I know to most people he just seems like a bad cat. I completely understand it’s fear-based aggression - we were told that years ago - and I will check out cat-only practices and interview them and be very honest about his behavior. I’ve had three occasions when we’ve literally been sent away with nothing being done because he’s so vicious. He was fostered from birth and adopted by us at 12 weeks so I have no idea why he’s like this. It started when he reached one year. Prior to that I took him regularly to the pet store whose owners fostered him for nail trims and he was fine until one day he turned on her and all hell broke loose. After that I trained him so I could clip his nails but due to my late husband's serious health issues, death, my moving across the country, I stopped and will recommence the process of desensitization with him. He’s adapted to a lot - 3000 mile car ride, living with a dog and another cat in our blended household, totally new home - but I know he’s sensitive since I found out I couldn’t feed him prior to the car ride because he’d vomit - and he’s irritable - if we come in with scents from our other cats in our ADU he hisses at us, if our Golden’s fluffy tail happens to brush his face, he hisses, etc. He hates being handled so if even I pick him up to move him, which both my son and I can do, he will often swat at me! Since it appears that you know your stuff I have a couple of questions:
1) since it seems that the scent of other cats triggers him, does a cat-only practice still make sense? Is the advantage their expertise? The method of avoiding the waiting room is a great tip since he sounds like a wild animal as soon as we go in (this was better when he was on the gaba but once in the exam room all bets were off)
2) the carrier - should it be the hard kind that allows you to completely unlatch the top?
3) which do you think is better? - medicating him for a trip to a cat-only vet or medicating him for a home vet visit (no home vet will be cat only, I’m sure)
I’m 72 and he’s approaching 13 so he’s going to be my last pet, I know. I’m just tying to make both of our lives less stressful.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
Try to avoid words like vicious. Remember that how you perceive him is how he will be.

He is a cat and cats only think in terms of learned responses an what is happening now. They don’t remember or look to the future. Just whatever response is logged into their head. So bad experience at the vet becomes a response next time.

Cats also pick up on what you are feeling. So if you are nervous and unsure he will be. He expresses nervousness and insecurity by defending himself.

When you call to other hospitals ask them what their normal way of dealing with fearful cats is.

The cat hospital I worked at kept the cat with the owner at all times unless for radiographs or surgery.

At cat hospitals they have the feliway diffusers going so it helps with strange scents they might pick up on. Where I worked we had birds for distraction and fish tanks.

A hard shelled carrier with a snap off top is best.

Do you have trouble getting him into the carrier?

Twocoastscat

Crabbycat
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I get the labeling thing - it’s hard to see him hurling himself at the sides of the carrier, growling, and lunging at vets and their assistants (all of which is documented in his records) and remember he’s afraid and to stay calm. I think I need the tranquilizer. We can usually get him in his carrier pretty well but it does take two of us. The vets can’t seem to safely get him out of it and in the state he is usually in I am frankly afraid to try as well. He seems to disregard that it’s me and that I’m his person.
Oddly enough for the road trip he actually went pretty happily from his carrier into the large wire crate I had set up in the back of my car (complete with a litter box for him).

Twocoastscat

Crabbycat
Young Cat
Purraise
It also doesn’t help that in our blended household we have three other cats, 2 in a different building and just 1 in the same house, who are the latest of multiple cats my son and daughter-in-law have had over the years, all of whom are either just shy or docile at the vet. They’ve never dealt with one like this. Their son who is six can get annoyed with Jeter’s irritability and although I keep trying to explain that he is afraid it’s hard for him to not see him as a nasty cat.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK. So, there is allot going on for him. How many cats does he actually live with, as in share living spaces etc? How many people does he live with? Is there a 6-year-old child getting annoyed with the cat? Just want to make sure I understand everything.

Does this cat have places he can get away from people? places that are up high with a view of his surroundings?

If it is taking 2 people to get him into the carrier, then something is wrong. If you get a new carrier, just leave it out in an area he is usually in. Let him get used to seeing it. Continue with giving him the gabapentin before every vet visit. When you put him in, either take the top off or put him in but first.

Nobody should be getting angry or fed up with your cat. He is traumatized and having people feel badly towards him doesn't help. Of course, you can't control how people feel about him, but you can make sure he has plenty of interesting places to be away from them. Inside of course.

When you transfer him to the wire cage in the car, is this with him inside the vehicle? I worry about any cat taken out of a carrier or anything like that when they are outside.

Twocoastscat

Crabbycat
Young Cat
Purraise
So he lives with me and two other adults and one child but we are spread across two dwellings. In the main house where he and I live there is one other cat who belongs to my son - he’s been “smelling” her for years but she joined the main house a few months ago. She is very mellow but occasionally they will face-off and hiss at one another and she has occasionally chased and cornered him (see my other posts on this site) but they have never fought and at other times can be two three feet away from each other with no problem. We are also able to “divide” the house and keep them separated if/when a face-off occurs. They both have lots of space, places to retreat, multiple cat trees, etc. There is also a golden retriever who was raised with cats - my cat and she have lived together for three years and my cat tolerates her quite well - will sleep on the same couch or bed for example (except when she maybe smells funny or when her tail brushes his face) In the other dwelling there are two cats who are mother and son; the adult occupant fosters kittens and dogs from time to time. So at times there may be another dog in the main house for short periods. The dogs are always vetted first to be cat friendly. My cat ignores them unless they approach when he’ll hiss and that sends them away.
His general behavior hasn’t changed in years, that is, he’s always been ornery, reacts negatively to other cats’ scents on me when I’ve fed friends’ cats, for example, has challenges every veterinary practice and had to be sedated - long long before this move and changes in the household.
The six year old does tend to yell at my cat when he hisses at something and we are working on that behavior since it doesn’t do anyone any good.
Yes when I transferred him from the carrier to the crate for our long journey cross country I was in the car with all doors closed and simply opened the carrier side door and the crate side door and he readily went into the crate. I have gotten him into his carrier by myself but it’s just easier if one person holds him and the other manages the carrier especially if he’s in a feisty mood. And trust me he definitely has moods.
So my question re the cat-only vet remains since he seems fairly blasé about dogs and their scents but scents of another cat are clearly very threatening to him. Of course no one can really tell what he’s thinking. I’m just not sure if a cat-only clinic will help since he’ll still smell cats.
At the moment he’s recovering from a few tooth extractions and I am keeping him sequestered. The protocol from the current vet for future visits since 200 mg of gaba the night before along with cerenia (because he vomited when I first tried him out with gaba ) and 200 mg of gaba prior to the visit basically improved his reaction to the waiting room but didn’t help at all in the exam room is: 100 mg gaba and 50 mg trazodone night before and same 2 hrs prior to visit. I am not sure if he should also take the cerenia and will have to check. But sadly I’m not expecting any miracles. He was still coming “out” of sedation after the extractions and they still had to use the cat catcher to get him out of the cage into the carrier to go home. My presence did nothing to calm him. Again I fully understand how frightened he is but he frightens people even professionals.
I am grateful for your interest and attention. I love him dearly and for me he is a living connection to my dead husband and my heart breaks when I see him so distressed.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The reason for the recommendation of a cat only cat friendly certified practice is that they hopefully will be able to know how to work with a cat like yours. When I worked at a cat only practice, most of the cats we saw were cats that other vets couldn't treat. Now that I am working in a mixed general practice, I see how inept the majority of veterinary professionals are when it comes to upset fearful cats. (I know that is a bit harsh)

There are guidelines in place for feline friendly practices and these ways of doing things work.

The problem is that the cat comes into the vet hospital and has a frightening experience. Now the next experience is going to be worse for the cat and the cycle continues.

You cannot restrain a cat for treatment. Very few people seem to realize this, and it is frustrating to say the least. You have to try to work with the cat. If that cannot be done peacefully then the cat must be sedated to avoid harm to the cat and or the staff.

The longer the cat has to wait to be sedated once in the hospital, the more reactive and fearful he will be. With a cat that has the kind of fear and negativity associated with vet visits as yours does, needs to have sedation at home and as soon as you are in the hospital you both go into a room and the vet comes in or better yet is already in the room with the sedation injection. An assistant has a big blanket, and the top of the carrier is quickly removed from the carrier while it is on the floor. The assistant places and holds the blanket over the cat while the vet quickly gives the injection in the muscle. The top is put back on the carrier but not clamped. The blanket which should have been sprayed with pheromones, is then placed over the carrier and the lights are turned off and it is quiet while the cat falls asleep. During this time the cat should be checked on to make sure all is going well. It is important to be quiet during this time and to keep the lights low. Meaning if the cat hisses, people don't laugh or jump or make any sort of deal out of it.

There are medications that are sedatives that also have an amnesiac effect on cats, and people. So, if that medication is part of the injection. the cat won't remember the visit.

Another thing that works really well is to have a distraction, be it fish tank or birds. Not real fair to the birds though. Cat TV works really well too. But for a cat as worked up as yours, it might not help at all.

He does have allot going on at home and along with the extractions, I am sure he isn't happy. Please be very careful with the child and the cat. A kid can really hurt a cat or frighten one without realizing it and a cat can damage a child as well. Be careful with the foster dogs as well.

Below is a site with allot of information and other links to click on to learn more about feline friendly handling and what you should expect your vet to do with your fearful cat.

Twocoastscat

Crabbycat
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I think this episode has taught the child - my grandson - that the cat isn’t just being bad and when I brought Jeter out of my room briefly yesterday he did pet Jeter and sympathized with him while I held him and he thanked Jeter for letting him pet him since he pretty much stays away from him and has just verbally reacted when Jeter hisses at something . i think kids like to be able to pet animals and his own cat is so docile and Jeter is very different. Jeter has never ever rolled onto his back for belly rubs for example. He’s extremely territorial - which I believe is why whiffs of other cats even on me have made him hiss - and defensive. I watched a Jackson Galaxy video about an aggressive cat yesterday and he got bitten and scratched badly but I noticed that he didn’t vocally react at all to the cat when it happened. I spoke with a cat-only practice that got good reviews - the vet isn’t accepting new patients but the receptionist said she’d ask the doctor if she’d relent and they asked that I send his records and let me know. So I’m keeping fingers crossed but I have a list that I will go down. I’m also investigating cat dentists since I’m concerned that the bottom canine will hit his upper lip now that the top canine is gone. At the moment I’m concerned that he hasn’t pooped and surgery was three days ago. . I tried a bit of Miralax in his wet food but he wouldn’t touch it. Then I tried mixing a tiny bit with tuna juice and putting that in his food with a few bits of tuna on top and he did eat that but still no poop. I know the bupe is constipating but I’m seeing him drool and lick his lips so I feel like he’s still in some pain although he’s chowing down his food and begging for it when it’s his meal time. Won’t touch pumpkin either which some people have recommended. Called the vet yesterday and she said give it one more day. So obviously hoping I won’t need to bring him back in. Also going to order new carrier that the top can be lifted off since I think that’s the type you’re suggesting for the process of getting him sedated more easily for visits. Thanks again - I’m very grateful for your input.

Threecatsandme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried the churu on a towel trick? I was certain it wouldn’t work for our Simba who we have a hard time pilling (he needs gaba for vets appts too). To my surprise it works like a charm every time for him.

We put the pill on a soft rag, cover it with some churu, set it in front of him and he licks both up. Something about the texture of the rag that helps.

It works for him, but not for one of our other cats (she just licks the churu and refuses the pill)- but may be worth a try?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love Jackson Galaxy, but he gets bit or scratched, usually scratched in every episode I have seen on His TV show. It’s done for ratings. He gets the cats into a place they feel cornered and keeps putting his hand out. It’s not hurting the cats but I think his “ challenge line” is BS. Other than that, his info is good.

Twocoastscat

Crabbycat
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat won’t touch churu or anything like it. The only “trick” that has ever worked is the oil from canned tuna in oil and that worked only once. Second time, no go. I agree about Jackson - a lot is done for effect. However, my take away was to tru to not yell at the cat which of course is everyone’s first instinct when they aggress.

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What does kitty need to have done at vet? It’s just an idea but you could get a feral trap and put him in there for vet visits? They will have better access to the cat from all sides and can just give injections through the side if that’s all that is needed.

Anyway I am lucky our cat who has had to take pills is good about swallowing them. Either a pill pocket works, or I just toss him on his back in my arms holding him like a baby. I can put the pill in the back of his mouth and 90% of the time he just swallows it. I’m not sure what the gabapentin looks like or if it is a big pill so maybe that wouldn’t be possible.

Even with feral cats I had to take care of, I was able to leave a small pill in the food dish with their dry food and they would still eat it without noticing.