Anxious Kitty

permanentrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have a three year old cat, Juniper, and I've had her for about 8 months now. She's very affectionate, vocal, and playful, and loves to be near me when I'm home. I thought she was adjusting pretty well, and I have even been leaving her alone for one night at a time like once a week or once every two weeks. She'd just be really happy to see me again when I got back but I figured she was doing while I was gone. I even bring her to stay at my parents house every now and then on the weekends, and she has a bedroom there I keep her in, so it's a small area she's grown accustomed to and she seems pretty happy while we're there because I sense that she just likes having human company around.

Anyway, probably in the last month or so, I've noticed that she's been throwing up more than usual. Vomiting had been pretty rare for her, mostly just due to an occasional hairball or eating her food too fast. She started throwing up when I would leave her over night, or when I would bring her to my parents house, the past few times she has thrown up the first night we're there, just a small bit of undigested food, but then be perfectly fine and social and content. Fast forward to this week - it's been crazy hectic, my roommate is in the process of moving out and has taken some of Juniper's favorite pieces of furniture, I ended up spending two nights away from home (not consecutive nights), and I just haven't had the time to be around much. Poor thing is a wreck. Extra clingy, has thrown up every day. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow to rule out any other underlying causes of the vomiting and such, but this brings me to the reason of this post.

Does any one have any advice for dealing with a cat who appears to be suffering from separation anxiety/anxiety due to changes? Any toys or other resources to help calm her when I'm not around? Things I should be doing differently while I am around? Any advice would be much appreciated, I just want her to be happy and well adapted!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Do your best to cut down the stress, maybe even leave her at home instead of taking her to your parents.

Try low volume classical harp music, and give her a safe place that is quiet, the top of a cat tree, a box with her fav blanket or bed. It might sound odd since they're intended for orphan kittens, but try a heartbeat toy. There's been at least one other anxious kitty who really benefited from this and was calmed quite a bit :).

There is also chamomile tea, if the vet check comes back that she's healthy ( it could also be helpful for you);

From Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953

syringe 3 teaspoonfuls of chamomile tea (chilled), 3 times a day. I recommend using the bags from the coffee/tea aisle, since those are all German chamomile. The English kind that grows so often in gardens, is toxic to cats. Just don't get chamomile blended with something else. It will be clearly marked if it is.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitty is named Juniper, too!

To some extent, both of my cats (Juniper, my current kitty, and Gwen, my first) have been nervous vomiters. Gwen in particular got nervous when she didn't get fed at her usual mealtimes (if, for example, she had a catsitter who could only come once a day, or if the catsitter came earlier/later than her usual mealtime. She always, always got fed enough food). As a result, she'd hoard her food until her next feeding, then eat really quickly and make herself sick-- the dreaded snarf and barf.

Juniper also does occasionally vomit when we're gone, although we're not sure why exactly. Although she generally shows no interest whatsoever in people food, even canned tuna, one of her nervous habits seems to be searching the ground for food crumbs and eating whatever she finds (if you have a dog who scavenges the kitchen floor, this behavior will look very familiar), which may be the culprit.

I think it's a good idea to try to regulate mealtimes if they've gone off schedule, and perhaps a slow feeding dish could help if your Juniper seems to be bolting her food. She may also appreciate less travel, as Furballsmom suggested. I think cats are more prone to stress than to loneliness, and to some extent we are projecting our preferences onto them when we uproot them too much so that they can be with us.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read from Jcatbird Jcatbird that a heating pad set on low with a towel over it, can help to calm a cat :)
My cats love a heating pad. I wrap mine in something that I have been laying on. They are attracted to the warmth and maybe it kind of feels like cuddling up to me. Lol Some of the kitties also love a large doll that belonged to my daughter. It’s in the bed and tucked in just like a human. Lol I find them snuggled up to it in the same way they cuddle me in the bed. Of course the doll also carries familiar scent.
I have seen my kitties throw up when I have had overnight company or when other things stressed them out. Cats like consistency and familiar things. Feel better Juniper!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

permanentrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a heated blanket that she loves. Is it safe to leave that on while I'm gone?

Also I know that traveling with her isn't ideal, but just from observing her behavior, she seems so much more stressed out when left alone, even if I have people stop in to check on her. She just loves to be near people, and when she's at my parents house, she gets a lot of attention, play time, and snuggles, which I think she prefers to being left alone. When she's at my parent's house, she doesn't hide much, eats well, uses her litter box normally, and enjoys play time and affection. If she seemed miserable, I wouldn't keep bringing her. This recent behavior of her vomiting frequently has been spurred more by NOT being brought along to my parents with me, so I am tending to think that being left alone ends up being more stressful than traveling.

Also thank you for all the suggestions, I will have to see if she enjoys any of them!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be sure to try the heartbeat toy, set up a camera so you can see what she does when she's alone, and I personally wouldn't leave the heated blanket on while you're gone. She can obviously move off of it if she gets too hot, but if you check, it's not meant to be on 24/7 and could be a fire hazard.

Whether she enjoys these things I certainly hope for, and if she relaxes and becomes more calm, that's the most important thing.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not leave a heating pad on while you are not there since they can short circuit and overheat. They do make heating pads specifically for pets but I have had even those overheat. There are pet pads that you can buy that are heated by the pets body. They don’t get as warm as a heating pad but are safer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

permanentrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A quick update on Juniper (thanks again for all of your advice!) - I took her to the vet and her bloodwork came back with no issues. The vet suggested a pheromone plug in, which I got and have been using for about a week now and she hasn't been vomiting. The vet also said that if she seems like she might still be feeling stressed out, especially since I do have a new roommate moving in today, we can try a dose of Prozac. So it looks like she's going to be okay with some environmental adjustments :)