Anxious Kitty Obsessed With Front Door

jooleeyuh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! About six month ago, I ended a long term relationship and moved into a small apartment with my 3 year old cat and dog. My cat seemed fine at first but his anxiety has gotten increasingly worse. It got to the point that he would cry every time I tried to go to sleep. He also has a strange obsession with the front door. He runs to it and cries and cries until I distract him with a toy. Then he goes back. I tried to ignore him but he began body slamming himself into the door - seriously, he would get all the way up to the peephole on the door.
He did have a UTI but after 3 trips to the vet and two rounds of antibiotics, it's all better. My vet put him on prozac. The prozac mixed with feliway diffusers, a sentry calming collar, calming spray, bach's rescue remedy, a second litter box, and a giant new cat tree has helped quite a bit. He's still going to the door and crying though! I can't really take him outside because there are always people walking their giant dogs and he HATES dogs (other than mine, of course). I can let him on the balcony but he's so slim he can fit through the bars and I'm scared he'll jump off.
Any advice? I just want my poor kitty to be happy!

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get pet beds with suction caps that fit on the window. Just be sure to get one of the cheaper brands where the suction caps detach easily.

As for the balcony, we have a glass balcony with open space underneath and a rail above. I laid plastic bottles full of water on their side and blocked up the lower part. They can still leap over so I trained them to the holster and leash. I still have to supervise them when they are out there.

I know your apartment has bars with slats. There are vids on youtube where people have concocted chicken wire fences and attached them to the bars with cable ties.

One of my cats loves to go out of the flat, I put a holster and lead on her and take her out into the corridor once a day. She can go up and down the stairs investigating all the strange smells and sounds coming from the other apartments.