Anxious for Athena

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, all,

My 2.5-year-old kitty Athena has been having frequent diarrhea since yesterday afternoon and has vomited up last night's dinner and today's lunch. I tried giving her some plain chicken and rice with a bit of plain pumpkin mixed in (she LOVES pumpkin -- eats it straight off the spoon), and she turned up her nose at it (her brother ate it all, though). She did eat a couple bites of her regular pate for dinner, but she's normally a voracious eater and will consume anything I put in front of her. I'm going to try again a little later.

About an hour ago, right after scratching around in two clean litter boxes which had just been emptied of runny poops, Athena peed in a cardboard Chewy box I had lying around.

I spoke to our local emergency vet, and since Athena is acting normal (other than refusing food tonight and peeing outside the litter box once), I'm waiting to take her in to my normal vet, hopefully tomorrow, and going to continue monitoring her and feeding her periodically. Still, I'm anxious, and I have to be at school teaching all day tomorrow -- although I'll find a way to leave early if I can get Athena into the vet.

I did change their food (all wet) about a week ago, and I mixed it in with their old food for a few days, but I'm wondering if I didn't do that for long enough. It's strange, though, since this is happening days after making the full switch.

Very anxious. Here's a photo of my girl slumbering the other day.
PXL_20201109_035920479.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Athena is acting normal (other than refusing food tonight and peeing outside the litter box once),
The diarrhea isn't normal, the not eating isn't normal, and the peeing outside the box isn't normal.
Has anything improved since you posted?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The diarrhea isn't normal, the not eating isn't normal, and the peeing outside the box isn't normal.
Has anything improved since you posted?
They meant that she's not hiding, still being affectionate and playful, etc. But yes -- I gave her some dry food (normally they only eat wet) and she gobbled it all up. Crossing my fingers that it stays down. And she has had diarrhea again, but there was a longer period between bathroom trips -- and everything went in the box.

Last edited:

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How are things?
Thank you for checking in!

Well, she threw up her whole dinner last night right after I went to bed (my sister, a veterinary assistant, cleaned it up and told me this morning), but she was cuddly and purring this morning, walking all over me to get me up, and ate her breakfast like normal. I had to go to work after that, so I'm not positive that she kept it down, but she had as of an hour after eating it.

I have still not heard from my vet. I left them a message this morning to make sure they didn't miss my e-mail, but that was 1.5 hours ago, and I'm wondering if I should follow up. I don't want to harass them, though...

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also realized that the new cleaning product I started using has lemon and lemongrass oils, which are toxic to cats and can cause GI issues. I used it to clean the bathroom Saturday afternoon, and I wonder if she licked some of it. I feel terrible -- I normally check all the ingredients on a product carefully before buying it.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update: the vet thinks it's okay to wait until this evening for an appointment. They're giving her a Cerenia injection and then some bland food to start her on after she fasts for 12 hours.