Anxious Cat Peeing Inside - Please Help

blindcripple

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have an older cat, MAX, (about 14), who has always had an anxiety problem. He used to always over-lick himself, to the state where he had very little hair. We adopted him about 5 years ago and he’s much better these days. Over the last year or so, he’s stopped going outside to go to the toilet. We have a litter box inside to try negate this, but he refuses to use it to pee, only poop (recently). He will pee all over the house - the bed, on anything that’s laying on the floor. This is getting worse and worse and harder to manage. We have a baby on the way and really can’t handle much more of this.

We have had him checked at the vet, and there's nothing physically wrong.

Factors:

- Our area has experienced a drought and the grass is practically nonexistent. (I don’t know if this really makes a difference)
- We got a new cat about 2 years ago, and Max will chase him away on occasion, especially if the new cat is in a warm spot.
- We used to be able to put him outside, and he would run to pee. If I put him outside now, he just stands at the door. Waits, then comes inside and pees somewhere.
- We use that crystal litter stuff in the litter box.

I’m tempted to buy a whole bunch of litter boxes to see if different types make a difference.

Is there anything else you can suggest? I’m losing patience :(

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read that some cats don't like the crystal litter. Can you try clay clumping litter? Also, some cats like one litter pan to pee in and one to poop in. Is it an uncovered litter box? Some cats are afraid to use litter boxes with a cover. Does he get enough wet food? Too much dry food and not enough wet can cause these types of problems. That's all the suggestions I can think of.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he's confused- WHAT! NO GRASS! Where am I supposed to pee? Like you suggested, a bunch of litter boxes, clay litter, no covers on the boxes. Put litter boxes at locations you are mostly at. If he's stressed out play with him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By all means, put boxes in the most frequent spots, AND try different litters. I use a walnut based litter that is VERY fine, after experimenting with several others. Are there new cats in the neighborhood? Could this actually be territorial insecurity? That would explain both the peeing all over (scent marking) AND his hesitancy to go outside.