Anxious cat, depressed cat? Help

lauren87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hope someone can help me, sorry this is going to be quite long!

I have a 7 year old female cat, she came as a wee stray 6 years ago.
I think over the years she has become more anxious, About a month ago she went outside and disappeared for 6 hours (she's never out that long) I think she got trapped somewhere because since then she's too scared to out, she'll only go out around 10pm then be in and out until midnight then that's her in for the rest of the night.

Since she disappeared she's been holding on going to the toilet until it's dark, she's got clean litter in a quiet room, she's been sleeping most of the time under my duvet. I have to lift the duvet and show her her food to get her up and eat, once she eats she's goes into another bedroom and sleeps on top of the bed. She doesn't eat much as the best of time. She's been less playful and rarely drinks any water, after about 4 days of this behaviour I took her to the vet, she was diagnosed with gingivitis and was given painkillers and antibiotics they said that was probably why she wasn't eating much. They took a blood test whilst she was there. Brought her home and she was eating normally again, got her test results and her kidney levels were elevated, couple of days later she stopped eating again. Took her back to the vets, they kept her in for a few days, put her on a drip done a scan and cleaned her teeth. Brought her home after the few days because she was eating at all in the vets. Started eating again, got her urine tested which came back fine, so the vet reckons it was just dehydration. Fast forward a couple of weeks, she still won't go outside unless it's late, hardly eating or playing won't use her litter at all. She just sleeps unless I wake her up then she'll eat some food and go back to sleep.

I'm trying everything with her; she's got fresh water dotted about the house, bought her a water fountain for cats, new toys, catnip, her favourite food plus different brands she hasn't tried before (bought her 12 different brands in total) and herbal calming tablets from the vet.

She was a lot more chilled when I had my German Shepherd who sadly passed away in 2014, since then she's turned into quite an anxious wee cat, but she seems to be getting worse the older she gets, she's fine with me and will have her moments of coming downstairs to sit with everyone.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice? I do wonder if she has some sort of depression, she shows no interest in new things like an empty box, new toys etc. She is a bit better from being in the vets, but still quiet enough for me to worry.

Nothing in the house has changed, there's no new cats or dogs in the neighbourhood that i'm aware of. Really don't know what to do, physically she's healthy (her teeth are a lot better and her gums are no longer inflammed). If she carries on like this she's going to end up in the vets again :(

I've probably forgot to include some stuff but I'll add them in as I remember, she's actually awake now, ate some food and now washing herself but hasn't been to the toilet yet.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it will sound weird but why don't you try some CBD oil ?

It's getting more and more popular and I know few pet owners who saw their pets getting more tranquil and at ease

You can start with just 1 single tiny drop of it and see how it goes. Make sure to buy one specific for pets.

Consider that CBD by now is used by tens of millions of humans, daily.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible something scared her during the day. I would worry something might also happen at night. Would getting a kitten or another dog help? Dont know how my typing changed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lauren87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got a wee kitten in 2015 whom she hated, he passed away last year after being involved in a rta :( we have a wee collie/lurcher, rescued her as a pup in 2016 Pandora (our cat) has no interest in her at all.
She's out now but she'll only be out for 15 minutes then she'll be back at the door wanting in, I'd love to keep her in but she hasn't gone to the toilet all day.

I'll give cbd oil a go, I've heard that it's good for cats and dogs, I've tried Feliway in the past but it doesn't make any different to her.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try getting a second litter box and put dirt from the outside in it since that's her preference. If it doesn't scare her more, go out with her. That way you know where she goes potty and can take a little from there so it smells like her. You're right holding it all day is probably adding to her uncomfortability.

I use Bachs Rescue Remedy for my skittish boy. Your poor girl has had a lot happen in just a month. A scarey experience outside and several vet visits with overnights and very invasive (to her) proceedures. I'd be exhausted after all that. She has a safe place and a loving companion in you.