Anxiety?

nicoles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! Hoping someone has experience something like this.

Sally is almost 3, I’ve had her since six weeks. She is an only cat. She is a good cat,but not huge on other people - only me and my mom when she visits (my mom watches her when I’m away). She runs the other way whenever someone is at the door or anything. Always been that way, not a huge deal, she comes out and plays afterwards lol.

We moved in April and I was worried about her but she transitioned beautifully (helps I work from home!), and loved the extra space (we went from a small one bedroom to a large two bedroom). She has the run of the house, she has cat trees in both bedrooms. It her her place lol. since we’ve been here the master bedroom (my office) has been her fave place, and she loved the big closet in there and slept there every day, and sometimes night.

The first of Feb, I heard a loud noise and she came flying into my bed. I thought she knocked something over and went to see. Couldn’t find anything. Figured maybe just neighbors being loud - went back to bed. She was terrified and refused to go back into the office for a solid week.I had to move her food, her litter box, everything.

After a week I called her vet. The vet suggested feliway and maybe some OTC anxiety meds and sent us a list. I got zylkene. We’ve been doing that and she slowly comes around- she comes in the office now, I was able to put food in there, she comes to play sometimes and explore. She won’t sleep in there and has moved to my bed (literally under the blanket at my pillow lol),even though I did move her snuggly bed in the bedroom.

But she is still way more jumpy than she ever was before. She plays with me and every morning she will act like herself and roll all over and want me to rub her back and such - but it’s at night she seems more anxiety ridden than the rest of the day. Every little thing makes her jump or scared.

I don’t know what else to do for her & I hate this, I don’t want her to be scared all the time. Anyone else experience this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicoles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(Also to add, vet has run blood tests and all to
Be cautious, has found nothing wrong)

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh poor girl! Something seems to be giving her a scare still. The biggest thing I can think of is do you know if you have outdoor/feral cats in your area? If there are strange cats roaming outside your home at night and she can see or smell them, it might be putting her on edge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicoles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh poor girl! Something seems to be giving her a scare still. The biggest thing I can think of is do you know if you have outdoor/feral cats in your area? If there are strange cats roaming outside your home at night and she can see or smell them, it might be putting her on edge.
That’s a great thought- we are in an apartment complex so that’s totally possible, given the room to run around the parking lot! None of our neighbors have cats but there is a dog in the same building. I’m going to have to try and pay attention!

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That’s a great thought- we are in an apartment complex so that’s totally possible, given the room to run around the parking lot! None of our neighbors have cats but there is a dog in the same building. I’m going to have to try and pay attention!
It can be really hard to tell, but around an apartment complex it's really plausible — at my old complex I could hear the female cats in heat outside and it would really spook my poor boy! But at my new place I had no idea they were out there until I started seeing pawprints across my porch when it snowed. In a complex it's hard to deter outdoor cats because you don't own the building, but citrus (like orange peels), coffee grounds, or your own cat's litter is usually what's recommended as a deterrent. If that's not an option, maybe trying making sure all the curtains are closed and windows covered at night? If Sally can't see out at anything that's out there, she might feel more secure!