Anxiety or allergies?

sav1297

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have an 8 year old domestic short hair indoor cat named Salem (he’s fully vaccinated and has yearly vet visits he’s fully indoors and 100% doesntthat I’ve had since I was 16 (currently 24). When we still lived with my parents he was an indoor outdoor cat, but now is exclusively indoor. Anyways since about the time he started being exclusively indoor (he was about 2 ish so this has been for at least 5 years) we’ve had issues with him licking patches of fur off of his body. At first it was just at the base of his tail. He would lick neat patches right at the base and was bald there. A year or two ago though he moved on from his tail and now licks very neat patches on the back of his front legs (occasionally he’ll do it on his hind legs too). There aren’t sores he just licks enough that the fur is either very short or completely bald and he’s not licking anywhere else.

I’ve taken him to the vet and had this checked out numerous times by numerous vets and I’ve gotten a different answer and different treatment each time with little luck. First vet years ago said it was fleas and tapeworms and treated him for that it didn’t help. Second time the vet said it was allergies and gave him a steroid shot but it didn’t improve. The third visit the vet said it was anxiety and stress causing overgrooming but he wasn’t licking himself bad enough to warrant getting him on anti anxiety medication.

Stress related overgrooming makes the most sense to me because it started shortly after he became an indoor cat and he tends to do it more when I take him with me to visit my parents (he hates my parents cats and gets stressed there). However my bosses cat has the same spots and when she took her cat to the vet they said it was allergies and said because her cat also had thinning hair near his ears and on his chin that was a sign of allergies. Salem has this as well and when he chews his arms and feet it really does seem like he’s itchy. The thing is I have no clue what he’s allergic to every single thing we have has definitely changed over the last 5 years since moving. We don’t use clay litter anymore and he eats expensive quality wet food that we’ve changed up over the years too. All of the cleaning supplies we have have definitely been changed. Literally everything has been changed at least once since he started doing this so I’m not sure what he would be allergic to. Also it tends to get worse when we visit my parents and I know he hates that so it makes me think it’s stress. I’m having a hard time finding answers online and I can’t afford to constantly take him to the vet, but any advice or answers would be helpful.

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stress related overgrooming makes the most sense to me because it started shortly after he became an indoor cat and he tends to do it more when I take him with me to visit my parents (he hates my parents cats and gets stressed there)
Both of these instances could be caused by stress or increased exposure to indoor allergens, such as mites or molds, so I don't think allergies should be excluded without further investigation. Both of my cats have environmental allergies and one of them is also prone to stress grooming, so I understand how difficult it can be to distinguish between them. Fortunately, there are ways to test the causes at home before going back to the vet.

An easy way to detect allergies is to focus on cleaning routines - pay attention to where dust and mold accumulate. We manage our cats' allergies with fish oil, cleaning routines (air purifiers, vacuuming), and air-tight food storage. Fish oil is a great addition and it takes about 6 weeks before you'll see the anti-inflammatory benefits have an effect. There are also a few other options, but check with your vet before trying things like antihistamines or topical treatments.
In addition to hyposensitization, antihistamines (see Table 3), omega-3/omega-6 essential fatty acids, hydrocortisone and oatmeal-containing shampoos/cream rinses, Aveeno oatmeal soaks, Soft Paws® to prevent self-trauma, and topical anti-pruritic agents (Corticalm lotion®, Relief Spray®) can also be tried to reduce pruritus.
Identifying, managing feline acne, non-parasitic otitis and allergic dermatitis

There is a wide variety of options for managing stress. What helped us the most was an appointment with a holistic vet. They gave us a tremendous amount of insight about our cat's stressors, and understanding them really helped us figure out how we could change our home environment to reduce his stress. Here are some things we use in our home:
  • Feliway diffusers (at home and when traveling; refills are expensive so we use a smart outlet to turn it off for a few hours twice a day)
  • Playtime - this is a huge source of stress relief for our cat, here are some tips to bring outdoor fun inside: How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) – TheCatSite Articles
  • Music - David Teie's Music for Cats really helps calm our cats when they're stressed or anxious: Home | Music for Cats | David Teie
  • Bird watching: we live in a high rise building and there is nothing interesting for our cats to see out the window. So every night, we give our cats a snack in the bathroom (so we can keep them in a closed room) while we put birdseed on our windowsill. Birds visit throughout the day and our cats love it!
The third visit the vet said it was anxiety and stress causing overgrooming but he wasn’t licking himself bad enough to warrant getting him on anti anxiety medication.
There are also some calming foods and supplements but definitely check with your vet before trying any of them. Some are intended for long term use, some are for short term use. You also want to be certain you're giving the right dosage and that it doesn't interfere with anything else you cat may be taking. And hopefully environmental changes will be enough on their own and you won't need any of these!
PURINA PRO PLAN VETERINARY DIETS Calming Care Cat Supplement, 45 count - Chewy.com
ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET Adult Calm Dry Cat Food, 4.4-lb bag - Chewy.com
VETOQUINOL Zylkene 75-mg Capsules Calming Supplement for Small Dogs & Cats, 14 count - Chewy.com
RX VITAMINS NutriCalm Liquid Calming Supplement for Cats & Dogs, 4-oz bottle - Chewy.com