Anxiety because of covid 19

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I been having panic attacks worried about having to go get food . I thought of doing grocery delivery but I am scared the person has a virus. I bring my Lysol and sanitizer with me.
I am to scared of how bad this virus is. I saw a person on a breathing machine saying don't take chances

What can I do if I run out of food. I have never been this scared all my life :(

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grocery delivery is low risk, as long as the delivery person can do a "no contact" drop off (leaving items on your porch, for example).

For shelf stable pantry items, you can simply put the grocery bag or box in a designated quarantine area, wash your hands, then let the items sit for a couple of days before putting them away or using them. The virus doesn't live forever on surfaces.

For refrigerated items, or things you are planning to use right away, you can spray or wipe the items before storing or using them.

Fresh produce can be washed with cool water.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I sanitize my cart thoroughly. Wipe down bags and containers before checking out. As much as I hate putting people out of work I use the self check out. I don't place bags on the table but hold, scan place in bag. I wipe down my debit card before and after use. I wear latex gloves the entire time and wash in restroom before leaving store. Sanitize the gloves when I get home.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I been having panic attacks worried about having to go get food . I thought of doing grocery delivery but I am scared the person has a virus. I bring my Lysol and sanitizer with me.
I am to scared of how bad this virus is. I saw a person on a breathing machine saying don't take chances

What can I do if I run out of food. I have never been this scared all my life :(
Why not have them delivered as lutece lutece suggested? Sounds like you are watching a lot of news.
Try to limit the amount of virus news. You're not alone, I'm having panic attacks as well. :hugs:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't have any immune-suppressing problems like diabetes, age over 65, COPD, or other illnesses, you will get sick, just like with any other virus, but in a couple of weeks, you will get well again. The reason this is so virulent is because it is an animal cross over virus and us humans have no natural immunity against it. We usually have SOME immunity with other illnesses. The death rate is 1-3%. Two years ago 60,000 people died from the regular flu and there was no panic. If you worry about contracting the disease getting groceries, keep a 6-foot distance between you and others, use a wipe before and after you leave the store, and wash goods and your hands when you get home. Or better yet, wear disposable gloves in the store and remove them once you leave the store. A mask really doesn't help from getting the virus but prevents you from spreading germs. One last thing, try not to think of problems that don't exist yet, 99% of the things we excessively worry about DO NOR COME TRUE! We don't have one case yet diagnosed in the city I am in, I won't worry until we do. I'm sure it is coming, but really, there is nothing I can do to prevent that. Being sick sucks, but almost EVERYONE survives, the odds are with you unless you are over 80.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why not have them delivered as lutece lutece suggested?

Available delivery times maybe very limited these days with even more people signed up for grocery deliveries. So it may take longer than the usual expected delivery time to get your groceries. See this for some of the popular online grocery services and current delivery times:

Some stores are banning reusable shopping bags because of the fear that the virus may be spread around through handling the bags. Most people don't even think about washing their bags. Cities that currently have plastic bag bans are temporarily allowing stores to give plastic and paper bags to shoppers at no charge.

Other stores are adding safety precautions to keep everyone safe like plexiglass shields to keep cashiers and customers apart, marking the floor at the check out lines to keep people 6 feet away from each other, etc.

More info that may help ease the anxiety over grocery shopping online or in store:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grocery stores, pharmacies and other essentials are disinfecting very thoroughly at every moment. Carts, cash registers, encouraging more use for debit/credit, even controlling line ups with tape or using plexiglass. Trust me, not only is this seen when I go out to do the odd errand for food and items, I am hands on doing this myself at my own work place - I'm disinfecting head to toe, with gloves on, every moment. Carts, bins, baskets, counters, keyboards, handles, floors and so forth. Washing my hands very regularly. Deliveries are also taking precaution.

I also regularly disinfecting things like my wallet, purse and my car.

I have congenital kidney disease, so definitely being careful!

Also, please take breaks from watching the news. Even take a break from watching shows that are covering it, like Dr Phil or Dr Oz. Don't dabble into any documentaries or movies/games about contagious diseases.Take a peak here and there to get the jist of things; progress, what is closed or not, state of your area etc but do not linger or watch for too long. Take a break from getting alerts on your phone. It honestly makes anxiety way worse (I mean goodness, I will be totally fine, content and calm throughout the day, then watch a bit of breaking news and suddenly anxiety and fear hits me too! So I switch sooner than later for sure) Spend most of your day doing other activities or watching other things. It'll make you feel better in due time.

The news is of course important, but sometimes it can be a bit over an overdrive. Especially since lately 90% of the news seems to be devoted to the virus.

Don't be scared, remember history. Imagine what your ancestors had to go through during WWI and WWII, and everything else prior, in between and beyond depending on where they were in the world! You got this! We've got this! :hugs::hugs::hugs:

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have high anxiety as well and health anxiety has always been a problem for me, so the fear of getting sick is huge for me. Also afraid for my close family.

I'm working from home right now and not doing any food deliveries which is my second, income boosting job. I just can't fathom taking the chance.

One suggestion I have for you that I am utilizing myself is to be kind and patient with yourself. I'm making a short list of things I absolutely need to get done each day, taking time as well for rest and breaks. Some days I'm able to blow right past and be super productive, other days I start to feel really tired and poorly so I allow myself to go to bed and watch some Parks and Rec or something else entertaining.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will try but it's hard I want to be cautious. I have kidney disease and atm scared of going to drs . should I really trust grocery delivery? I want to trust but I rather not be in a crowd

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to get food somehow, and delivery would definitely give less chance of exposure. As mentioned, you can wipe things down or spray the boxes with Lysol (only the outside of packages, of course!) if you think it's necessary.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok I will do that. I just hope no more hoarders because if it's not stock then I don't know if they will show it if it's out of stock

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
If this help you; my husband has kidney disease due to bone marrow cancer. His kidney is functioning better now; he used to do dialysis 3x’s a week. He doing chemo and is 62. The precautions we take are as follows: wash, wash, wash your hands for 40 seconds, after shopping use those sanitizing wipes before and after shopping for the cart and your hands, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ABOVE YOUR NECK (sorry for the capitalization but I wanted to stress this). Stay away from people as much as possible. We’re fine and this is what we do. Oh, wipe every touchable surface in your house once a day-hope it helps. Fear and anxiety lowers our immune systems so stay positive...

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks I will try to stay positive. I just want to live through this for my family and cat!

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that. It gives me a bit of relief. They also put tape in check out so no one can be close to each other

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok I have anxiety again about this. Because if i need my meds I get scared now . is it really low when shopping? Do I need a mask I don't have a mask :( I tried creating one but I can't breath well through it

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I go do the grocery shopping when necessary, get occasional deliveries and mail. I don't do the mask thing either I know that is the current thing. The main thing is common sense. This is not airborne in that it cannot survive and travel great distances through the air. Observe distancing. Wash your hands when you get home. Leave whatever you bring in alone for awhile, I wait a full day before I open my mail. If whatever it is has been contaminated by someone who has this it will degrade quickly, again this is not airborne. Just leave whatever it is be for a day. I have some spray disinfectant along with the cleaner. The spray is easy for daily use.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A mask will protect the people who are sick from spreading the virus. It is not going to protect you as much from getting the virus. Distancing yourself 6 feet from people is the best way to avoid the virus. Keep sanitizer in your car, or with you, and use it as soon as you get back into the car from shopping or getting your pills, that would help immensely. Really, unless you are immunosuppressed in some way, or over 70, this virus will be uncomfortable, but you will get through it. Thousands have!

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it's not airborne then that is good.
I limit my essentials trip so I mostly stay in my apartment until i need things