Anxiety and FIC food options

MittenMeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm looking for options and suggestions for cat food brands. Two years ago Raiden had a complete urinary blockage which resulted in him being on a moist food diet. He was diagnosed with FIC as he did not have crystals, the only cause they could find was a UTI. He's been perfect on his Royal Canine Urinary SO Mod Cal. Fast-forward to this year he started peeing outside the litter box and peeing blood so we took him to the ER vet and he was again diagnosed with a UTI and sent home with antibiotics. A week later the blood in his urine started again. We took him to our local vet and they did blood work an x-ray...the works. Nothing came up. After telling my vet about Raiden's personality and history with urinary problems his true diagnosis is anxiety. He has now been on an anti-anxiety medication which has helped so much (amitriptyline). We also transitioned him to Royal Canine Urinary SO + calm (moist). My vet and I talked about doing dry food but I was hesitant since he's not a big water drinker. My question is, should I consider a half moist half-dry diet? What options are there for dry food that have worked with others?

Thank you

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with A Azazel in that I would.NEVER, EVER consider transitioning a wet food fed cat with any type of urinary issues to dry food. Even half and half. As a matter of fact, I would suggest even adding a little bit of water to his already wet food,

Since he's on the amitriptyline, does he really need to be on the calming food? Is it a matter that he doesn't really like that food? Many people don't continue to feed the prescription foods, but switch over to a high protein, low carb food, be that canned, raw or homemade.

That article provided above is really good! It's worth your time to read it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MittenMeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feeding dry food is the worst thing you can do for a cat with a history of urinary problems. Have you ever considered taking him off prescription/urinary food? Most urinary foods are not supposed to be used long term.

This website has more detailed info:Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection
I've read that article before many times and it is so helpful. The article at the end does say Royal Canine SO can be fed long term so that gives me peace of mind I've decided to keep him on moist only, just based on his experience in the past (was never a big water drinker). I've asked the doctor about his medication since it doesn't seem to be working well... maybe an absorption problem since it goes in the ear? Thank you for the responses!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you applying the medication wearing a latex glove? If not, it may be getting into YOUR system rather than his. Otherwise, I don't know why it wouldn't work somewhat, but I think you're right that it may not be quite as good as in pill form. Are their other medication options? There may also be other compounding options - perhaps in a liquid form that you can add to his food that won't taste bad, or even as an injection. We gave one of our cats one medication as a transdermal (which worked great BTW) and another as an injection into her scruff and she never even knew she was getting that shot! We just did it while she was getting her pets and she was none the wiser :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MittenMeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you applying the medication wearing a latex glove? If not, it may be getting into YOUR system rather than his. Otherwise, I don't know why it wouldn't work somewhat, but I think you're right that it may not be quite as good as in pill form. Are their other medication options? There may also be other compounding options - perhaps in a liquid form that you can add to his food that won't taste bad, or even as an injection. We gave one of our cats one medication as a transdermal (which worked great BTW) and another as an injection into her scruff and she never even knew she was getting that shot! We just did it while she was getting her pets and she was none the wiser :wink:
They send the medication with finger gloves that we use. He takes pills well so I called my vet and asked if we could change it to a pill form. He hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would give him a least part, good quality wet food along with the Royal Canin wet if you want to continue feeding that.
I would not feed any dry.
Wellness Core, Tiki Cat, Weruva wet foods for example.