Antisocial Cat

LaurenElizabeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My long distance boyfriend adopted a cat as a kitten about two years ago, along with one other very friendly kitten. Even when he adopted her she was a big scaredy cat, but she was showing some slow improvement shortly after her adoption. However, her progress has completely regressed. She mostly spends her time on the terrace or in the 'cat room' but seldom comes out to the public space. In the past while I was visiting I've tried both giving her attention and giving her space, but with little success (although I can now briefly pet her if I catch her relaxing on the couch before she runs off!). Now that I'm living here and can devout more time I'm wondering what methods could be affective. Thanks!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long have you been living there? She may just need time to adjust to your presence.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest that you fully take over the feeding and litterbox duties for both cats. Other than that I would not reach for her or try to pet her unless she rubs on you. You can though try to engage both in play, like fetch, wand and string or laser.

It may take weeks but she will likely warm to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LaurenElizabeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long have you been living there? She may just need time to adjust to your presence.
I have been here almost two months, but visited fairly often in the past. My boyfriend says she is the same even when I am not here.

LaurenElizabeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply guys! I have begun feeding them each morning. She seems more willing to get close when she's hungry - be it coming up to the food bowl or watching me from the corner of the room I'm in. I'll leave little treats in the room and try and playing with the wand but she refuses to budge. She likes to stay in her safe zone, the cat room. I didn't know if closing the door and making her spend time in other rooms will allow her to get use to being around us more or if it would be too stressful. Maybe just more time and patience!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t shut her out of her safe space, but you can make the other rooms more appealing by leaving out treats there. I live with a very shy and nervous cat and it took months for her to really be comfortable being in the same room with me. Even then I couldn’t touch her or even get too close without her needing to run and hide. These cats are not really antisocial as much as they are fearful.

LaurenElizabeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn’t shut her out of her safe space, but you can make the other rooms more appealing by leaving out treats there. I live with a very shy and nervous cat and it took months for her to really be comfortable being in the same room with me. Even then I couldn’t touch her or even get too close without her needing to run and hide. These cats are not really antisocial as much as they are fearful.
Thanks for the response! Treats don't seem worth it enough for her but I'll try leaving some wet food out in the living room. Did your cat ever come around for you?

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about eating breakfast with her? Assuming you feed her in the kitchen, start a morning routine where you feed her and then either have your coffee or breakfast at the table nearish to her. Kind of ignore her and kind of talk to yourself. Hopefully she will start feeling safe around you and associate you with food. The first few times you might eat alone but don't give up.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the response! Treats don't seem worth it enough for her but I'll try leaving some wet food out in the living room. Did your cat ever come around for you?

My Willow has been with me nearly eight years now. She has come around but very slowly. She now will set on the arm of the chair next to me, loves night time cuddles and is always wants to be in the room where I am. She is a wonderful, sweet and well behaved cat, just not a lap cat, and I couldn’t love her more.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Their food has been in her safe zone.
What's been working to help me with one of my super shy girls was that I slowly moved her food out of her safe room, about 1/2 a foot to a foot at a time.

Now she'll eat all her meals outside her safe area and explores a bit.

You could try that with your shy girl? Very slowly take her out of her comfort zone. Build that confidence and trust. :-)

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It took my cat Coco almost a year to come out on her own and play with my cat peaches

Last edited: