Antihistamine for Cat - liquid and/or eye drop?

madamemultari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello lovely Catsiters :)
I am struggling to give my feisty feline a half tablet of an antihistamine. When I do succeed, it does work on his teary eye.

Historically speaking, I'm better at giving liquids and/or eye drops.
Would anyone have experience with an oral liquid or eye drop that might substitute for the tablet antihistamine? I do have a call into my vet's pharmacy, but they are slow to respond. Thought I'd check with you guys!

Thanks so much,
Monica :) xx

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Children's benedryl is in liquid form. That's what our Vet recommended for one of our guys when we thought he might have allergies. I can't remember how much we were to give though, sorry. I believe the dosage is by weight. But I do agree you might try some of the pilling trick listed above.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I give my cat a daily antihistamine in wet food. I crush and mix it in. She never notices it. We use Loratadine (plain Claritin).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madamemultari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys! I'll try the wet food. No luck with pill pockets so far.
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens - did you find an unflavored one?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are other brands of pill doughs besides Pill Pockets. Amazon sells a bunch and Chewy probably does too. I actually use a bacon flavored pill dough for my cat's pills. He loves Pill Pockets but is intolerant to the chicken that's in both varieties.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks guys! I'll try the wet food. No luck with pill pockets so far.
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens - did you find an unflavored one?
Unfortunately, not unflavored. Grape or cherry is what we found, i believe. But that shouldn't be bitter to a cat so if you were to give it orally with a syringe should be no problem.