Antibiotics: Help Needed!

Mspetitlapin

NoodlesMum
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I currently have my three cats all suffering from an as yet undiagnosed infection which caused the following symptoms:

- green poop
- vomiting
- diarrhoea
- stomach pain

The vet put them on a 5 day course of a clavamox and they seemed to be getting better but 48 hours after finishing the course they all relapsed.

The vet put them back on it, initially for a 7 day course which has now been extended to 10-14 days to make sure whatever this thing is gets blitzed.

New decal samples are with the lab again as the first round didn’t show anything but as they all had diarrhoea the vet thinks there may not have been enough content to get a good result so now it’s 3 days worth for each cat - thankfully 2 out of the 3 are almost back to solid poops (sorry for the grossness of this).

One thing that is worrying me however is the fact that all 3 just seem to sleep all day and night now. They are hungry immediately after their injection and eat, then they lay down and sleep for 6 hours, wake up to eat again then go back and hide and sleep. They don’t seem interested in anything anymore and are behaving so out of character.

I don’t know if anyone else has had his experience with clavamox? Everything I’ve read has said that the drug doesn’t have any sedation properties and none of them seem to as yet be vomiting on it or having more diarrhoea so I can’t think that the sleepiness is a reaction to the drug making them feel bad. And we are now on Day 7 of the new course so would have thought they should have peeled up a little by now. They seemed to yesterday but today are back to sleeping and hiding.

Does anyone have any similar experience or thoughts/advice. The vet keeps telling me not to worry that it’s just a stress reaction but my gut tells me that’s not what it is.

I’m genuinely worried....

Can anyone help?

(They are aged 8 and 13, 14)

Thank you!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm sorry to hear you are going through this!
Is there any way you can speak to another vet?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also would look for a second opinion from a different vet. I've never had any luck with Clavamox. It makes my kitty vomit after about 3 doses. I would ask the vet to do a PCR Diarrhea panel, if that's available where you live. Lastly, have you recently changed foods or opened a new bag of food? Could be a formula change in the manufacturing process or food intolerance with an ingredient.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is the Clavamox being prescribed because the vet thinks their symptoms are related to a bacterial infection? If so, you could ask about trying Orbax instead. My cat has used Orbax a few times now for bacterial related infections, and has had no side effects with it. However, I am not sure that the lethargy you are seeing is related to Clavamox anyway; as you said, it is not a customary side effect. It is possible that between their illness - and, possibly the Clavamox - they are just plain worn out?

Are they performing a more extensive fecal test this time? And, how long will the results take once you have retrieved/submitted all the samples?

The positive side of things is that they are eating, drinking, and using the litter box normally - yes? If any of that changes, I'd be calling the vet non-stop.
Yes, you could get a second opinion, if that is possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mspetitlapin

NoodlesMum
Kitten
Purraise
Hi FeebysOwner FeebysOwner - the results of Noodle’s stomach biopsy showed a sign of infection and then the initial fecal samples of two cats showed raised white count and pathenogenic strain of e-Coli hence the antibiotics.

Unfortunately because they all had diarrhoea the initial fecal sample was tiny and they didn’t run a full panel. New poop is in (3 days worth for the 2 cats) and we’ve asked for a rush and also it to be a complete test so microscope results back tomorrow (looking at Coccidia eggs etc) then cultures we hope back by Friday or Saturday depending on how long it takes to grow them.

I had to do the Clavamox injections myself at home today which was pretty bloody horrific. I got it badly wrong with one of the cats and she is terrified of me today. This whole thing is breaking my heart. Two of them seem to now be on the mend - markedly different in behaviour today and appetite, so it’s obviously working. Just the poor Noodle (IBD kitty AND got accidentally stabbed this morning) is suffering most and taking a lot longer to turn a corner.

I spoke to the vet again and she said we a to do 10 days (so 3 more injections) and absolutely maximum 14 days (which would be 7 more). I’m keen to get them off them - but I’ve also read that the directions say don’t stop them less than 48 hours after symptoms disappear so I’m thinking just do the 3 more days so they’ve had the 10 day course. Hopefully by then the repeat fecal results will be in, or start to be in.

I know this sounds crazy given I’m not the one who is sick but I am so exhausted from being up with them all day and night and anxious with worry. Being a single cat parent is tough when it come to poorly kitties and having to give injections!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mspetitlapin

NoodlesMum
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and yes all 3 are eating, Noodle a little less but still 2 x sachets a day minimum (we are trying to get her weight back up as she lost almost a quarter of her body weight at the start of this. Poop is starting to become normal, no mor diarrhoea and stools are hardening. Still stinky but less so. It’s the damned lethargy that worries me. And now the having to inject at home (and it’s not a small needle like the insulin ones).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow! Although things sound like they are turning around a bit, I feel for you about the injections. If you haven't already paid for the full required dosages that are due to be given, you could ask about converting to the liquid form of Clavamox - that would be more 'my speed" (I'd rather squirt it in their mouths than to inject them).

The IBD with Noodle may be keeping her progress a little slower.

Keep us posted.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you giving them a good probiotic? Have you tried supplementing D-Mannose? That is know to treat e. coli. It's a supplement from the health food store.