Antibiotics and skin dermatitis

Meldawn1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten Daisy had surgery 3 weeks ago. She had some issues in recovery and was given a shot of Convenia two weeks ago tomorrow and just finished a course of Clindamycin earlier this week. So she was doubled up on antibiotics. She’s healed from her surgery now, finally! But she’s broken out with chin acne and a sore, possibly two, on her neck. We saw the vet today who said it wasn’t anything to worry about and sent us home with a cream to put on her a few times a day. I thought it could be from the plastic cone or maybe the antibiotics. She hasn’t had that on in over a week now but today I replaced her dishes which had plastic along the outside, just to be safe. She never had any skin issues prior to surgery or the antibiotics or cone. I’m just curious what possibly triggered it so I can avoid it in the future. Any ideas?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chin acne is fairly common and can take a while to clear up. I am inclined to think it was a combination of the cone and the plastic on the dishes. My vet told me I could use Stridex pads to clear it up but use the cream that the vet gave you. It should clear up now that she is no longer in the cone and the feeding dishes have been replaced.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with denice denice ! Although, it is remotely possible that she had a dermatological reaction to the antibiotics. Either way, given the antibiotics are done, the cone is gone, and the dishes have been changed - it should clear up. But, if by chance the Covenia caused the reaction and not the Clindamycin, then you need to be aware that it is long acting and while its antibacterial effects generally last for 1-2 weeks, it can remain in the body for as long as a couple of months. Keep an eye on it, and certainly let us know if the issue clears up or not. Hopefully you will start to see an improvement soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meldawn1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She seems to be improving with the cream. No new spots have shown up and she’s not scratching as much. It’s been such a journey with her. I’ll be happy to go a few days without a call or visit to the vet!