Antibiotic side effects?

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I just woke up for the day. Sat down in my chair (thank goodness it's leather) and my kitty jumped on the arm of the chair. Then jumped down. She had left a little poo on the arm of the chair! So I take a look and it looks like she had some blood coming out. She is on amoxicillin right now for an infection on her paw. Do you think this could be the cause of it? I am going to call the vet today as soon as they open so no worries there.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
To my knowledge, it can cause diarrhoea, but shouldn’t cause blood in stool. That said, if she’s been going a lot recently, her bowels may just be a bit inflamed and sore, which could cause a small amount of blood on the surface of the stool. Was the blood “old” (dark, hard), or fairly fresh?
Is she well in herself otherwise?
If possible, I’d take a photo of the bloody stool to show your vet later.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above, black/tarry stools usually mean the bleed happened higher up in the GI system, fresh, bright red blood means it is lower, usually in the rectum. It may be from either diarrhea or straining too much. This is definitely something the vet should know about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is definitely fresh. Yes I am for sure calling the vet this morning. She is normal/playful otherwise.

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not heavy. It's quite light and light in color.

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's her anal glands.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you have determined that it is from the anal glands, they need some attention, so it is good that you are calling the vet.

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have determined that it is from the anal glands, they need some attention, so it is good that you are calling the vet.
Yes the vet is the one that told me this. I took her in as soon as they opened.