Anti itch solutions that are safe to lick or quick to dry?

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all. So, the vet wants Teddy to get a biopsy to help us understand better what is going on with his skin since we have now hit a wall. She says this would be much cheaper than taking him to a dermatologist.

His paws are doing great, but now he has issues with his hind legs (hair loss from obsessive licking, crusty scabs, thickening of the skin creating lumps).

I was told he couldn't take his steroids for about two-three weeks before the biopsy, which means he will have nothing to help the itchiness.

She recommended malacetic spray, which I can find on chewy and amazon, but the ones I have found you have to wait until it dries before the pet can lick the spot. It also says HAZARDOUS TO ANIMALS AND PEOPLE under precations.

First of all, these sprays never dry fast enough for my boys. They always take several minutes and I have never been able to distract Teddy long enough, even with food.

And second of all, why would I put anything "hazardous" on either of my boys? How is it made for animals but also hazardous to them? I'm confused.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for anti-itch (especially if it has skin healing properties to it as well) that either dries super fast or is safe to lick?

I don't want Teddy to chew himself raw and bald, but I also want this biopsy done and his steroids are the only things that have kept him from chewing.

Any suggestions? :thanks:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Perhaps you can try chamomile tea? Buy standard tea bags from a grocery store which are generally German (you don't want English, and no additives/flavorings). Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid, and dab it on the area with cotton balls or a soft cloth. You can do this multiple times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties, and it is safe for him to lick.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our's has little episodes of what appears to be hyperesthesia. Goes absolute bonkers, shaking his head, biting his butt and sides, running from nothing and everything. Like he's covered in biting ants or something. Benadryl seems to be the fix if we can get one down his throat.
Much easier said than done though. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our's has little episodes of what appears to be hyperesthesia. Goes absolute bonkers, shaking his head, biting his butt and sides, running from nothing and everything. Like he's covered in biting ants or something. Benadryl seems to be the fix if we can get one down his throat.
Much easier said than done though. :lol:
I'm unsure if he can take it, so I'll have to call up and ask.

Lol well thankfully Teddy isn't that severe. That would be horrible. And yeah giving cats anything that isn't food they like is such a challenge lol

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. Perhaps you can try chamomile tea? Buy standard tea bags from a grocery store which are generally German (you don't want English, and no additives/flavorings). Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid, and dab it on the area with cotton balls or a soft cloth. You can do this multiple times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties, and it is safe for him to lick.
Thanks, I think I might give that a try. My mom is a big tea person so I'll ask if she has any chamomile that is straight up without anything added.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner would chamomile from the plant work? We don't have tea bags, but my mom said she harvested some chamomile from her plant a while back.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think most garden grown varieties are English, so if that is your Mom's case, they wouldn't work. English varieties are toxic to cats.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has your vet mentioned a topical steroid at all? I know cortisone cremes can be used on cats, but you would have to ask a vet for specifics like which one to use and what strength to get.

Also you could try a colloidal oatmeal bath/dip, if he would tolerate that. It works well for humans with itchy skin without stripping away skin oils, and I’ve seen it recommended for cats as well. Your drugstore should sell colloidal oatmeal packets near the bubble bath and Epsom salts (I believe aveeno makes some for like $7-8 a box), it’s basically just really really finely ground oats that you dissolve in warm water.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has your vet mentioned a topical steroid at all? I know cortisone cremes can be used on cats, but you would have to ask a vet for specifics like which one to use and what strength to get.

Also you could try a colloidal oatmeal bath/dip, if he would tolerate that. It works well for humans with itchy skin without stripping away skin oils, and I’ve seen it recommended for cats as well. Your drugstore should sell colloidal oatmeal packets near the bubble bath and Epsom salts (I believe aveeno makes some for like $7-8 a box), it’s basically just really really finely ground oats that you dissolve in warm water.
She just told me to use the cleaning solution I was given back when Teddy's paws were the issue, and to use something for the itch that didn't have steroids in it as it could alter the results of the biopsy.

Teddy doesn't tolorate being handled or messed with, so he wouldn't do well with a soak. It needs to be a spray or something I can quickly wipe/dab on with a cotton ball or cloth.

But I'll still look into it. Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That brand is on Amazon. If you recommend that one I can just get it on there.
A trip to the grocery store, Target, Walgreens, etc for a box of chamomile tea is a lot faster :) Unless you live in a rural area with no easy access to a store or need multiple boxes of tea for your own use.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A trip to the grocery store, Target, Walgreens, etc for a box of chamomile tea is a lot faster :) Unless you live in a rural area with no easy access to a store or need multiple boxes of tea for your own use.
I asked my brother to stop at the store on his way home to see if it's there. I'm currently at work so I can't go right now myself. I don't know if it will be at our Meijer but that is what is closest to us.