Another "study"

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
So hubby sent me this link to an article about a study that tells everyone how dangerous raw food is for people and pets....

Dogs' raw meat diet could be dangerous to them and owners, study says

Good grief.

Donning critical thinking cap now.
First of all, it says "researchers in Sweden". Okay, so who commissioned the research?
Secondly, the research was done on European products. So, how does this affect the American public?
Thirdly, it concludes with how dangerous the various bacteria are to humans and how everyone should be sure to practice good hygiene when handling raw food. As opposed to when handling any other kind of food, eh?

That last point really gets me. I mean, why can't they conclude that maybe pet food manufacturers should step up their game? Maybe the manufacturers could have cleaner facilities, or better protocols, or better food sources? hmmmm?

But no... the writer instead buys into the hype and fear mongering, leaving the reader with admonishments to be ever so very careful about handling raw food.

Some things never change.

Cindus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's too bad there aren't more (any?) scientific studies examining the health benefits of a raw diet. They'd have to be done on a voluntary basis, though, since they won't be sponsored by a pet-food company.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
This was apparently a study on the food itself, not on the health of the animals who ate the food.

It makes no mention that a carnivore's digestive system is uniquely designed to handle a certain amount of bacterial load. That doesn't mean the food companies should be slackers, though. Overload is, of course, still a possibility.

It also says nothing about the health of the thousands of pets who are eating a home made raw diet (because that would be waaaaayyy too much work for a "study").

This article is dumbed down for the masses. It doesn't describe the parameters of the study in any meaningful or scientific detail. It is also pretty biased, "supporting the fears of veterinarians...".

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I can still be disgusted.