Another refrigerator thread

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in need of a new refrigerator sooner than later. It's leaking water from somewhere underneath, not much but the tile grout in front of the fridge is damp. I have absorbent pads under the fridge for now that I will swap out as needed until the appliance repair appointment next Thursday. The refrigerator is over 10 years old, installed by the builder. It's a GE Profile GE Profile™ 21.7 Cu. Ft. Top-Freezer Refrigerator with Internal Dispenser|^|PTS22LHSWW It has worked fairly well until now.

I've already read through Winchester Winchester 's thread about her Samsuck Samsung refrigerator: Do NOT, NOT, NOT buy a Samsung fridge! (previous thread to that is New refrigerator) I'm not interested in that brand. Any other brands to avoid?

What I'm looking for: standard refrigerator with the freezer on top, capacity of 21-ish cubic feet, width no more than 32-ish inches because of the space, depth 33-ish inches, solid adjustable shelves in the refrigerator. My current refrigerator does have a water dispenser and an ice maker but I never use either so it doesn't matter if a new refrigerator has those. I prefer to stick with a plain white refrigerator because my other appliances are white and plain white is generally less expensive than stainless steel.

I do not need or want a W-Fii / smart refrigerator.

I kind of like French door refrigerators but they're pricey :eek2: And the freezer always seems too small to hold much of anything.

Any difference or pros/cons to counter depth vs standard depth? My current one is a standard depth. I guess counter depth means the appliance doesn't stick out past the counter?

Has anyone purchased a refrigerator recently and recommend it? Or can recommend a good reliable brand that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Has anyone bought from Home Depot or Best Buy? Those are two stores near me where I can go see refrigerators in person.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think in general if you're looking for something basic and dependable in appliances GE is a good brand. They do have high end with all the bells and whistles but they also have basic models. No appliances last as long as they used to unfortunately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Didn't Maytag run tv ads at some point saying their appliances last for decades?

GE is fine but I guess the particular refrigerator model I have isn't very good. I saw reviews of how the temperature is inconsistent, which I know because I have that issue as well. My GE stove works well, not that I use it much. I've never used the dishwasher so I don't know how well that works.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maytag used to run ads about the Maytag repairman being so lonely because they didn't need worked on. Maytag was the only brand of washer and dryer my mother in law would buy. I don't think they last like they used to, it is a decent brand but it isn't way out ahead in longevity like it used to be. LG is supposed to be highest in customer satisfaction but then some of the models have issues with the compressor failing before it should so I don't know why it is highest in customer satisfaction. I mean the compressor is the refrigerator. Maybe they are good about replacing the refrigerator when the compressor fails so people are satisfied with them. That is such a hassle and it can get expensive if you just stocked up at the supermarket before it failed.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an LG, it was here when we bought our house, so I'm not sure how old it is, but we've been in this house for 10 years now and haven't had a single problem with it. Well...the big bottom/crisper drawers (2 side by side) can be a bit finicky now because some of the plastic chipped on the divider rail/track so it moves around a bit. All it does is make the drawers stick sometimes if the rail is more one way or the other.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in need of a new refrigerator sooner than later. It's leaking water from somewhere underneath, not much but the tile grout in front of the fridge is damp. I have absorbent pads under the fridge for now that I will swap out as needed until the appliance repair appointment next Thursday. The refrigerator is over 10 years old, installed by the builder. It's a GE Profile GE Profile™ 21.7 Cu. Ft. Top-Freezer Refrigerator with Internal Dispenser|^|PTS22LHSWW It has worked fairly well until now.

I've already read through Winchester Winchester 's thread about her Samsuck Samsung refrigerator: Do NOT, NOT, NOT buy a Samsung fridge! (previous thread to that is New refrigerator) I'm not interested in that brand. Any other brands to avoid?

What I'm looking for: standard refrigerator with the freezer on top, capacity of 21-ish cubic feet, width no more than 32-ish inches because of the space, depth 33-ish inches, solid adjustable shelves in the refrigerator. My current refrigerator does have a water dispenser and an ice maker but I never use either so it doesn't matter if a new refrigerator has those. I prefer to stick with a plain white refrigerator because my other appliances are white and plain white is generally less expensive than stainless steel.

I do not need or want a W-Fii / smart refrigerator.

I kind of like French door refrigerators but they're pricey :eek2: And the freezer always seems too small to hold much of anything.

Any difference or pros/cons to counter depth vs standard depth? My current one is a standard depth. I guess counter depth means the appliance doesn't stick out past the counter?

Has anyone purchased a refrigerator recently and recommend it? Or can recommend a good reliable brand that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Has anyone bought from Home Depot or Best Buy? Those are two stores near me where I can go see refrigerators in person.
we bought an insignia fridge from best buyback in 2017 we didnt want model with ice maker or water dispenser has worked good light bulb went out i like buying from best buy cause i like the warranty they offer on stuff cost more but worth it far as electronics goes

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, here's a link to my thread about Need A New Refrigerator from last December. I ended up buying an LG from Home Depot as it would have been months from a nearby appliance store. It is O.K. in that food stays cold and freezer freezes but I'm still not as happy with it as I was with my Maytag that died.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
So far, we're OK with our GE French door fridge. It keeps food cold and we have ice, so I can't complain. I still don't like the size, but have learned to adjust.

My son and his family just moved to a new home. He and I had talked about appliances; they've had Frigidaire for years and never had any trouble. I think they're staying with Frigidaire. Which, I think, is made by the same company that makes Whirlpool?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maytag used to run ads about the Maytag repairman being so lonely because they didn't need worked on.
Yes, that's the ad I remember :) Wasn't there a basset hound in some of those ads, too?

I kind of like this LG French door one: LG 22 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator (LFDS22520S) | LG USA It's smaller than my current fridge so it'll fit into the space just fine. The local Home Depot supposedly has a floor model to view so I'll go do that today. It's also in stock so should be delivered fairly quickly. But the price is one entire paycheck :eek3:

I'm perfectly ok with a standard plain white top freezer model but I do need to think about adding value to my unit when I sell in the very distant future. I know one former resident with a unit similar to mine had at some point replaced the standard refrigerator with a French door one. The listing pictures didn't show any other upgrades done. Her unit sold for nearly $500K and this was a couple years before the pandemic and before the market got super hot and competitive.

Glad to see you Winchester Winchester :grouphug: How does the French door freezer compare to a regular top freezer? They just look so small to me unless it's a huge refrigerator like the ones at work. I need enough space for several bags of raw cat food and a few frozen items for me.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I really cannot comment on appliances, because I rent and they are provided. I think I remember reading or hearing somewhere, to stay away from LG appliances.. in addition to the already known, Samsung.

Good Luck..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After browsing at Home Depot, I did end up buying that LG French door that I linked above 😲 It was on sale and I liked the features. The freezer is surprisingly roomy enough for what I need. I can remove the ice bucket for more space. It's being delivered on Saturday. I'm cancelling the repair appointment since there's no need for that now. I turned the water to the fridge off so that has stopped more water from leaking out. I should have also disconnected the watering line while I was behind the fridge :doh: I'll see if the maintenance guy can do that for me later this week and reconnect it next week.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I actually like the freezer on the bottom. Ours has a drawer in it as well and it seems roomy enough for what I need. I'm short (and getting shorter every year!) so it's easier for me to get things out of the bottom freezer than it is to get to the back of a top freezer. Hope that makes sense. I think you'll like the French door set-up. Congrats!

artiemom artiemom I think I had mentioned LG. When we had our Samsuck, I was on a FB forum of people who owned Samsuck appliances and were very frustrated. Many had LG and were also angry. There were almost 70,000 people on that forum when I left, after we got our GE.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, dumb question I should have asked the saleswoman - does the plastic water tubing line come included with a new fridge or do I have to buy that separately? The saleswoman made no mention of it but the invoice stuff I got says a water line connection kit has to be added to the order. Nothing is open today so I have to wait until tomorrow to go back to Home Depot or call LG. I assume the delivery people will not connect the water line, which isn't a problem since I don't need the water or ice feature right away and can have the maintenance guy connect the line when he has time.

Edit: I already have a braided hose connected to the water shut off valve. I just want to know if the fridge comes with the tubing and fittings that connects to the end of the braided hose and to the fridge.

Thanks, Winchester Winchester ! Looking forward to my new fridge :) Hopefully I won't have any issues with LG. My parents have had a LG washer and dryer for several years now and have no issues.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm pretty sure it does, LTS3 LTS3 . When they delivered our GE, they disconnected the water line, hauled the whole thing out to their truck, brought the GE in and connected it. You should be fine.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Are you sure your local Home Depot isn't open today? My husband went to our local one this morning.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I just checked. They are open. I'm not going out today so I'll go tomorrow. It's kind of convenient to work literally steps away from Home Depot :)

I'm pretty sure it does, LTS3 LTS3 . When they delivered our GE, they disconnected the water line, hauled the whole thing out to their truck, brought the GE in and connected it. You should be fine.

I'll double check on the tubing anyways to be sure :)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad you found one that you like and it is in stock. I think when you pay for installation and haul away everything is taken care of and if you need to buy something additional it is mentioned at the time of sale. It would be good to check though. I see it has a 5 year warranty on both parts and labor for the compressor which is good.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester how do you organize the bottom freezer? My bottom freezer has a pull out drawer. I don't care for ice so I have the ice maker turned off and left the ice bin in to store ice packs and small items. The other half of the drawer currently has two opened bags of raw food lying flat. The main drawer has a movable divider. The left side has all the unopened bags of raw food and a few random food items. The right side has the bulk all of my frozen food items.

Oh, so yes the new refrigerator arrived yesterday:clap: I'm happy with it :biggrin: I had to take out a shelf so I could store tall bottles of sparkling water and milk. I still have plenty of space with one less shelf.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I have frozen vegetables in the top pull-out drawer, one bag of frozen butter, along with smaller things like hot dogs/sausages. I also keep my Biotin and fish oil in that top drawer. The divided bottom of the freezer is primarily for meat with the other compartment for breads and rolls. We don't keep a lot in that freezer, basically only what I'm going to use in a week or so. We have the two freezers in the basement, so I'll grab a large container and go "shopping" in the basement for what I think I'm going to use in the next two weeks.

We use a lot of ice. I change the cats' water dish twice a day (sometimes more when it's really hot and muggy) and put ice cubes in the dish with the water. Rick and I have ice water with us all the time when we're outside. And I make a lot of iced tea and iced mint tea. I even take a little bag of ice out to the WeShed and stick in the freezer out there. So I was....peeved....when our Samsuck stopping making ice.

Sounds like you're going to like your fridge! Congratulations! I'm really glad you were able to find one quickly and get it delivered.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot that you have chest freezers. It must be nice to have those to store extra food and keep the kitchen refrigerator limited to what you need for the week :)

I found a blog where the person has the exact same bottom freezer as mine (looks like the refrigerator is several years old so not the same model as mine) Organizing a bottom drawer freezer | Blog | Peace of Mind Organizing There's some good tips there I can use. I'll have to go to the Container Store and Target to see what I can use.