Another Question About Feeding?

Cupcake_Luv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all!
Being a new cat mom. I have a lot of questions. So I apologize in advance. When I adopted my kitten she was being fed Sheba pate wet food and royal canin persian dry. She is a Bengal so I'm a little confused why she was eating the persian royal canin dry food. I have just finished transitioning her dry food to blue Buffalo wilderness kitten because of its high protein content. She had no problems transitioning the dry. I'm still feeding the Sheba pate for wet but I'd like to switch to the blue Buffalo wilderness kitten wet or maybe do both Sheba and blue Buffalo. My questions are can I feed two brands of wet food at a time? Also can I switch often until I find what she really likes. There's so many brands, and flavors out there. I see so much I want to pick up and let her try, but I don't want to upset her tummy. I do want her to be satisfied and enjoy her food though.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
You can totally feed multiple brands / types of wet food. Keep an eye on her poops, some cats do have sensitive stomachs. But often cats can switch just fine.

I feed Olive probably 10-15 types of wet food from different brands. Some are pate, shreds, stews etc. She doesn't seen to be bothered by it. I hear that a little bit of pumpkin will help keep their digestive system pretty even, although I haven't tried it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cupcake_Luv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd like her to have a variety as well. I've seen soups, stews, shreds, so many options. I know I like options and would hate to be fed the same thing everyday all the time. The breeder we got her from told us if we were to switch to do it slowly over a 14 day period or she could develop idiopathic diarrhea that could last a lifetime! So I want to make sure. I know people who switch often without even slowly transitioning and they have no problems with their cats.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome, and no apologies necessary, I promise ;)

I personally think that the "Persian" et al wording is probably more a marketing thing than anything, although admittedly I haven't checked ingredients.

KarenKat KarenKat is exactly right, and I've (usually - the other day I most definitely paid for that assumption LOL) not had any issues with my boy switching brands either, and I also do a rotational menu. I tried to get him interested in plain (no pie seasonings) pumpkin, but no go. There are a couple of canned or pouch foods that have pumpkin if you'd like to add that ingredient and she doesn't care for the straight-up thing.

Oh, and a note to be aware and look out for some brands that have supplemental foods as well as nutritionally complete foods' Almo is one that comes to mind - the complete foods have the word Complete on the can. Also Applaws is another where they have both supplemental as well as complete foods.

Maybe just do a transition of 25% new food on the plate/75% old food, then increase/decrease, just to be sure.

I'm really glad your baby has you!! Good on you for wanting to get her used to lots of foods. There are quite a few of us who think it's a good thing and helps decrease or even eliminate fussiness/finickiness later on.

….pictures? please pretty please? :)

Cupcake_Luv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to have to look into the pumpkin. I wonder if she'd like it. I saw they have a pumpkin latte for cats and dogs. It has goats milk, pumpkin, and cinnamon. It's human grade quality. I wanted to buy some for her. I just don't know if a cat would enjoy it :dunno:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The breeder we got her from told us if we were to switch to do it slowly over a 14 day period or she could develop idiopathic diarrhea that could last a lifetime!
Hmmm. How old is your baby? Kittens may have more sensitive tummies, but since you've already had no problems switching/transitioning, I think your breeder is erring on the uber cautious side of things...? Nothing wrong with that, but although I'm not a vet, it does sound as though your kitty has a little more goat in her (I'll never forget the day I read about a goat eating the laundry off of a clothes line, and apparently having no ill effects LOL)
Speaking of, goats milk as well as pumpkin is really good stuff for cats. I might go for the separate ingredients and leave out the cinnamon though, but that's just me...
Also, you could try a little raw egg yolk, (the egg white must always be cooked). Some people make a slurry of cooked white and raw yolk.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girls really like Tiki's tuna and pumpkin if you're looking for something to try. They usually have something with pumpkin in it about once a week, they like it. My cats have never had a problem switching between wet foods, we do it all the time. I've only transitioned their dry food once and we did that slowly but without any tummy issues as well. It was about 30% new 70 % old and we just gradually added more new food to it when we saw they were ok with it.

Cupcake_Luv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the suggestions. Raw yolk? No chance of salmonella? I hear so much about raw eggs. I'm going to try the pumpkin. I'm interested in the eggs as well. Here she is lounging. Kind of a dark picture but not the best lighting right now :p

Attachments