Another Pregnant mom showed up

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So my neighborhood is crawling with cats, here in Thailand people around here do little to control the spread of stray cats.. Another mom showed up at my door, at first i thought she was nursing but after observing longer i can pretty much figure out shes pregnant could be a few weeks left till she gives birth.

I think i was going to make some shelter with an old box, but then I thought I actually have old litter boxes that would make good shelter (but ill buy a new one same model) i was wondering if these would be any good for that if i add bedding inside?
1591487107152.png

I cant take her inside my house because I have 5 cats already as it is, also I wouldnt want to bring her in anyway without checking for diseases that could spread. The weird thing is she resembles one of my cats who passed away earlier this year, might be related somehow.

Anyway if i dont use a litter box I might make up a shelter box out of cardboard cutting a whole on the side the is elevated so kittens cant crawl out until they are grown some. My only worry is all of the male cats around here may come to bother her, I am not sure how those cats behavior will be with kittens around. I have seen kittens around here quite a few times and dont seem to be issues until the males start to grow up.

Norachan

Staff Member
Reaction score
Hi daones daones

The trouble with using any kind of plastic box as a shelter/bed is that they get damp. Even if it isn't raining heat from the cat's body causes condensation, which leads to damp bedding. Even lining the box with cardboard doesn't help.

You need a box made from wood or some other material that "breathes". Straw makes the best bedding, it's absorbent and drys out quickly.

It would be pretty cheap to buy some wood and knock a box together yourself. Make sure the box is stood up on a couple of bricks. You need some space under the box to keep it warmer and dry. If you want to splash out a wooden dog house can also be modified for cats. Use some wood to block the bottom part of the entrance so the kittens can't fall out of the shelter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Reaction score
Hi daones daones

The trouble with using any kind of plastic box as a shelter/bed is that they get damp. Even if it isn't raining heat from the cat's body causes condensation, which leads to damp bedding. Even lining the box with cardboard doesn't help.

You need a box made from wood or some other material that "breathes". Straw makes the best bedding, it's absorbent and drys out quickly.

It would be pretty cheap to buy some wood and knock a box together yourself. Make sure the box is stood up on a couple of bricks. You need some space under the box to keep it warmer and dry. If you want to splash out a wooden dog house can also be modified for cats. Use some wood to block the bottom part of the entrance so the kittens can't fall out of the shelter.
That's a good point, i forgot to think about that... Anyway in the mean time I did use a cardboard box and I lined all the inside it with those pee Pad's for cats which might help some absorbent... Also I have a pack of about 20 of them so I can always change them out after a few days. Still have to see if she will use it... I cut a hole elevated from the bottom of the box so kittens cant climb out and also placed the box on a small elevated shelf (only about 10 inches off the ground) so any bugs or what not wont be able to go inside easily.

Norachan

Staff Member
Reaction score
That sounds good. Is the box somewhere sheltered? I guess you're going to get the monsoon pretty soon. I'm bracing myself for it in Japan.

If you can find some mint or basil in pots you could place those near her box. They keep the bugs away. A few more suggestions here, but check to see if they are toxic to cats before buying any.

11 Garden Plants to Help Keep Bugs Away! - TruGreen Midsouth

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Reaction score
That sounds good. Is the box somewhere sheltered? I guess you're going to get the monsoon pretty soon. I'm bracing myself for it in Japan.

If you can find some mint or basil in pots you could place those near her box. They keep the bugs away. A few more suggestions here, but check to see if they are toxic to cats before buying any.

11 Garden Plants to Help Keep Bugs Away! - TruGreen Midsouth
Good idea, I never knew basil would help but we have plenty of that here ill check though if its okay for cats... I have one of my cats who is strange and always eat's leafy greens when we buy them at the market if we kept unchecked on the table.

Yes, for the most part it is sheltered.. It's hard to explain it is outside the house but under a roof area.. Although its near the edge of the roof but luckily a long time ago we put up a large tarp from the side of the house because the neighbors house gutters leak right into our yard... We actually had rain last night and it was wet in the area but not where the cat is at... Going to modify the tarp today as there is a small space at the top which let's rain come in slightly.

We do get rain this time of the year but generally around September/Oct is where we get the most rain and flooding but at least this time of the year its not cool/cold at all even at night it only gets down to 26c unless theres rain.

Only thing is I havent seen her use the box at all yet, we put another doormat under a chair near the box and she has been sleeping there.. So far in the past I think about 3 pregnant cat's I took care of havent had one yet not use the box I made (but all of those were in the house).. Feel sorry for her as she has already tried coming into the house even knowing other cats are in here.

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Reaction score
Ill see how things go, she still is staying outside the house most of the time lately... I just dont think she will feel comfortable in that area because a lot of cats come by around here at night time especially because I put food out for her... She is territorial and already seen her chase a few cats off, there is two boys who must be her mating partners because she doesnt seem bothered by them.

I did buy this just the other day for my own cats ill see how things go if worst case scenario maybe can move her and the litter in this cage.. I havent yet seen her even go in the box but it is kind of hot here lately.

1592143332408.png