Another Pregnant Cat Thread -- Sorry!

liathum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this'll be a long one. I'm not terribly good at being succinct.

We have a stray, feral cat in the neighborhood whom we've been taking care of. We've managed to catch him and neuter him with little issue but on March 27th when putting food out for him the sweetest stray cat came running for us. Most Gerald and strays won't come up to us like she did and she was purring right away.

We caught and quarantined her from our indoor cats without a problem and about a week later were able to get her in to see the vet. Turns out, surprise! She was a few weeks pregnant already. But as she was a stray, we weren't sure how far along she was and the vet wasn't able to provide us any details beyond "She's pregnant, here are your options."

In the time we caught her and took her to the vet she managed to gain quite a bit of weight. We assumed it was mostly due to her being fairly thin and finally getting regular feedings. After the pregnancy diagnosis, well, it made a bit more sense why she'd gained weight.

Now, two weeks later, the kittens are moving and have been for a little over a week now. We've kept her quarantined even though she's been tested and doesn't have FeLV or FIV, we didn't want to stress her with introducing her to the other cats until long after she gives birth.

Now, a bit about her:

I have never come across a stray that purrs so readily and is as friendly as she is. Even the vet and vet tech were both surprised with how unbothered she was being in a strange new place. We made sure to check for microchips and checked around the neighborhood to see if anyone was missing a cat, but no go. Behavior-wise, she's just the sweetest thing. She also appears really young. The tech and I both estimated her age between 8 months and 1.5yrs. Or older if she's just really small for her age.

I've never experienced a pregnant cat before--all mine were spayed shortly after I adopted or rescued them and I promise she will be as well once the kittens are old enough--but I can't find quality information about feline pregnancies. It either contradicts itself or other sites or describes behavior that she's had since day 1 of us meeting her. According to one site she's about eight weeks and another she's six weeks. It's confusing.

Right now she's round. Extremely friendly (that hasn't changed at all since the day we met her, still purring away as soon as she sees us), grooming and eating almost constantly. Her nipples are pink, I think, its hard to tell with her coloring and they feel almost swollen--kind of like a cat who just started nursing, my first cat after getting spayed actually nursed a rescue kitten I fostered and later adopted for awhile--but not quite as extreme.

She's still playful but has a hard time sitting still or getting comfortable anywhere but on soft surfaces like my couch cushions, a balled up blanket I leave in there for her (she can lay at weird angles on it. Perfect for her) and she's been moving her "blanket" (a red towel she's grown strangely attached to, I don't get it, she's weird) all over the spare room.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is...any of you folks with more experience than me have any ideas about how far along she might be from that description? I know it isn't an exact science and I'm spending as much time with her as I can but we're in the middle of doing a few home repairs and upgrades for a refinance so my time is scheduled almost to the hour for the next couple weeks. From what I've read, I'm guessing sometime in the next two weeks is her due date. Maybe two and a half. I'm just trying not to be caught by surprise. Well, anymore than somehow adopting a pregnant stray with the personality of a cuddly teddy bear. Seriously she's weird.

Also. I can't find any information on what "nesting" behavior is beyond "affection, seeking warm, dark places, being restless" which she's been doing for over a week now.

One surprise--she does seem to like the birthing box I made up. As long as her red blanket is in there.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Most cats deliver with little issue. You can start feeding her KMR about a week before delivery, and then kitten food after she delivers and while she is nursing them, in order to make sure that she keeps her strength up and can provide plenty of nutritious milk for her babies. You can spay mom after the kittens are weaned (about eight weeks). Be sure to keep her inside, even when she gets spayed, there are a lot of dangers for outdoor kitties. Have you found homes for the kittens yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liathum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah. My spouse's mother will take two and we'll probably keep one. Depending on the number of them, I've another family member in line for any others. Hopefully there isn't a surprise or two. My spouse was telling me about a stray they adopted back in the eighties who had eleven kittens. I'm hoping for five at the most.

She's still in "quarantine" and so isn't going anywhere. There are at least three doors between her and the outside, one of which is a sliding glass door so I'm not too terribly concerned with her escaping. She'd have to get out of her room and into the mud room while both mudroom and sliding glass doors are open. We're very careful never to open both at the same time. So she's secure and comfy for awhile. All set up for the long haul!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:wave3:Wow! She looks really young. I think your estimate is on target that she has 2 to 2 1/2 weeks left.

All of the behavior that you describe is that of a very friendly, hormonally charged, affectionate cat. It sounds like she grew up with people and got lost, dumped, or left behind. Thank you for taking her in!

Many cats do not use a nest until time to deliver, but will exhibit nesting behavior weeks in advance, which is mainly trying out different spots and sometimes rearranging blankets and towels. It's an instinct from being in the wild and seeking out an area that feels safe from predators.

Here are some articles that may help you:

Cat Pregnancy

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnant Cat? What to Prepare For the Birth

Help! My Cat is Having Kittens!

We're here for all your questions!

liathum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two and a half weeks, eh? Poor little girl. :(

With her being so young, is there any specific behaviors I should keep an eye on in regards to kitten feeding and rearing and bonding? Or would any post-birth complications be unlikely?

She really is the sweetest thing. I'm glad she found us, for sure! It's a tad hilarious because I have a bit of a thing for calicos (2 of my other cats are calicos) and when my spouse brought her inside I couldn't help but roll my eyes. Of course she'd be a a calico. And pregnant to boot!

I have to thank all of you for your kind responses. I've come across this forum a few times when hunting info down for my other cats but a pregnant cat is a whole new experience for me!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I love calicos! I had one I adopted at 5 weeks old who lived to be 21 years old! I still miss her!

Your gal will most likely do fine. Try not to worry too much.

An x-ray or ultrasound would reveal how many and more precisely their stage of development if you want to spring for it.

liathum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww! Calicos really are pretty darned awesome!

Sadly, anxiety seems to be my middle name. Especially in situations I'm not completely used to yet.

I've been considering the ultrasound route but I don't want to stress her too much, as sweet and gentle as she is...she's not keen on cages.

liathum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So here we are. About two hours ago labor started and we're at three kittens. The first one and third one seemed to be the most alarming (for her), but everything is running smoothly.

Thank you guys for all the advice! Muchly appreciated!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, wonderful! I hope things continue to go well. Make sure all are latched and nursing well once mom is done delivering. :)

liathum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Squeaker is feeding and cuddling the kittens. She's doing great for such a young and a first time mama cat. I'm setting up the scale so I can weigh them sometime today but they see to be eating quite a bit.

The cream one is a little chunker. Aww.

Thank you all again!

Attachments

liathum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we're on day three. I'm weighing them daily and they're gaining on average about 10g a day.

The little chunky gingers have hit the 131g mark. The other two are about 128ish grams. (The paper is in the other room). But all four seem happy and healthy.

The two gingers are easily going to be the silliest. They occasionally fight over the same nipple. Have you ever seen two day old kittens fight? It was the cutest and funniest thing.

Two of them already have been claimed by my mother-in-law and we're keep Squeaker and one of the others. Gonna try to find a home for the last one but if it doesn't happen, no big deal. We'll keep him.

They're all gonna get neutered and spayed as soon as they're old enough. I was reading that Squeaker can be spayed when the kittens are five weeks old.

I'd hate for her to experience another heat, but judging by the last four cats I've had spayed, I may wait until the kittens are completely weaned. The setup we have is fantastic and we don't have to worry about her escaping anywhere except in other parts of the house.

But I figured you guys might be interested in more pictures! I've been documenting their growth with photos and weights. Also added a photo of happy mama cat.

She's still the sweetest stray I've ever come across.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome! Vets recommend spaying at 8 weeks. Kittens can be spayed at 8 weeks or 2 pounds. :)

liathum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm pretty sure my vet will spay and neuter at 2.2lbs.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I meant vets recommend spaying moms also at 8 weeks. Five weeks is on the early side. :)

liathum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol! Rock on!

Works for me. Was definitely considering waiting til then.