Another post- 5 day post spay. Vet closed to today. Does it look okay? Cat not eating much.

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a pic of my 7 months old incision on day 2. Now we’re on day 5. Her wound looks like it’s healing up and scabbing but I see a little redness around the edges. She has been eating like normal this whole time until yesterday. She’s just nibbled at her wet food and will only eat her dry food if I roll it a little bit and kind of make it a game. Does her wound look ok?? Thank you to everyone in this awesome community!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a pic of my 7 months old incision on day 2. Now we’re on day 5. Her wound looks like it’s healing up and scabbing but I see a little redness around the edges. She has been eating like normal this whole time until yesterday. She’s just nibbled at her wet food and will only eat her dry food if I roll it a little bit and kind of make it a game. Does her wound look ok?? Thank you to everyone in this awesome community!
Update- of course as soon as I post this she finally starts eating her dry food. Cats 🙄 But I’ll ask the question anyways just to be sure- is the site looking ok?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Update- of course as soon as I post this she finally starts eating her dry food. Cats 🙄 But I’ll ask the question anyways just to be sure- is the site looking ok?
That's a great update!
and yes...cats...:lol:

Yes, her incision site looks good, K Kayseymac .
It's good that you are noticing the scabbing, and then it falls off....looks more red, and messy, ...but scabs over again.
All part of healing.

As long as you don't see any whitish, or yellowish pus forming, or any further opening...and hot to touch...then it should all be good.

Could we see a photo of your cat from the front, too?
And could you tell us her name?
All the best, sent your way.

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a great update!
and yes...cats...:lol:

Yes, her incision site looks good, K Kayseymac .
It's good that you are noticing the scabbing, and then it falls off....looks more red, and messy, ...but scabs over again.
All part of healing.

As long as you don't see any whitish, or yellowish pus forming, or any further opening...and hot to touch...then it should all be good.

Could we see a photo of your cat from the front, too?
And could you tell us her name?
All the best, sent your way.
thank you so much! I am always worried about my babies so it makes me feel much more reassured to post on here. Her name is Ms. Honey (named after the teacher from the movie Matilda). I rescued her from the school I work at when she was 2 months old and living under a portable classroom. She was severely underweight and had several worms and parasites, but now she lives her best life with two parents and a cat brother!

She was more of a kitten in this picture, but it is my favorite with both of them in it.

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you so much! I am always worried about my babies so it makes me feel much more reassured to post on here. Her name is Ms. Honey (named after the teacher from the movie Matilda). I rescued her from the school I work at when she was 2 months old and living under a portable classroom. She was severely underweight and had several worms and parasites, but now she lives her best life with two parents and a cat brother!
You're welcome.

(You just sound like most of us, here, we all tend to worry about our cats...and especially when they have to go to surgery, are healing, or worse...when they stop eating for more than a day. Then I start worrying, full-time.)
It's good that you are really observant. :thumbsup:

(I might have to go watch that movie, if it's a comedy, and good. I usually read the reviews first, best and worst, and then decide. But now the name has me curious.:blush:)

Wow. She is extremely lucky to have found you. :)
She was more of a kitten in this picture, but it is my favorite with both of them in it.
Omg...that photo is adorable. :loveeyes:
The size difference is amazing.
I forget how much smaller our cats were as kittens.

Hoping that your Ms. Honey...gets along well with her older brother, too.

Hoping they Play well, and that he does not get too rough with her.
(I have two cats, male and female siblings...age 7 yrs, now,...and they still get rough and tumble...at times. Not always, thankfully, but the way my big guy likes to play is very wrestling like, and rougher...than his sister, who prefers the run and chase, and sometimes slap, too.)

Thanks so much for posting their photo.:cloud9:

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're welcome.

(You just sound like most of us, here, we all tend to worry about our cats...and especially when they have to go to surgery, are healing, or worse...when they stop eating for more than a day. Then I start worrying, full-time.)
It's good that you are really observant. :thumbsup:

(I might have to go watch that movie, if it's a comedy, and good. I usually read the reviews first, best and worst, and then decide. But now the name has me curious.:blush:)

Wow. She is extremely lucky to have found you. :)

Omg...that photo is adorable. :loveeyes:
The size difference is amazing.
I forget how much smaller our cats were as kittens.

Hoping that your Ms. Honey...gets along well with her older brother, too.

Hoping they Play well, and that he does not get too rough with her.
(I have two cats, male and female siblings...age 7 yrs, now,...and they still get rough and tumble...at times. Not always, thankfully, but the way my big guy likes to play is very wrestling like, and rougher...than his sister, who prefers the run and chase, and sometimes slap, too.)

Thanks so much for posting their photo.:cloud9:
Same here! My older cat- Rufus- is 4 but he is still a kitten at heart. He loves to play with Honey- sometimes more than she would like. I have them in separate rooms for now so he does not mess up her wound with rough housing. They are missing each other very much. I am very excited to reunite them! I’ve been wondering if Rufus will treat Honey any differently now that she is spayed. I read somewhere cats can give off less invasive smells after a spay.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here! My older cat- Rufus- is 4 but he is still a kitten at heart. He loves to play with Honey- sometimes more than she would like. I have them in separate rooms for now so he does not mess up her wound with rough housing. They are missing each other very much. I am very excited to reunite them! I’ve been wondering if Rufus will treat Honey any differently now that she is spayed. I read somewhere cats can give off less invasive smells after a spay.
Rufus is so fluffy.
(for some odd reason, I pictured his name being George. not sure why. )
The name Rufus is way more fitting. :)
He's got those 'white tipped' paws...that always look like our cats have stepped in paint. :blush:

Forgot to mention that I really like how your Ms. Honey...has those dark solid bands around her front legs.
(They make it look like,...she has her sleeves rolled up...or more tough...like a jacket or tattoos.
A volunteer at one of the humane societies, I visited, told me that the reason that cats have that "M" mark on their foreheads, is because it means, "MEOW". I thought it was cute.)

That's excellent that Rufus still acts like a kitten. :biggrin:

" I’ve been wondering if Rufus will treat Honey any differently now that she is spayed. I read somewhere cats can give off less invasive smells after a spay."
Yes, I think you are definitely right about that.
I just cannot remember how many weeks it actually takes for the pheromone Scents to change.

Another member, here, had mentioned 4-6 weeks for male hormones to leave the cat's body...but I don't remember what anyone said about female hormones...and Scent.

What you could do in the meantime...is rub Ms. Honey...with an old t-shirt, sock, towel, any fabric really,...and then place it beside Rufus...to get him more used to her new Scent.
And to also, see if he reacts...to any lingering Vet smells.

Some cats who go to the Vet, and then come home...have lingering Vet antiseptic smells on them...and cause the other 'home cat' to not 'recognize' them.
It's not happened to me, but there are some threads, here,...which members say it takes a long time for the 'home cat'...to finally 'recognize their buddies'.

Kind of amazing how Scent is so important to our cats. :)
Well, I guess all their Senses are...but Scent and vibration and hearing seems the most strongest.

Sometimes I'm not sure how well our cat's see, though.
I can drop a treat right in from of them, and they won't see it.
But movement they see in an instant.:clover: